bill to ban lead

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slikk03, Dec 30, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anybodey know if this bill has been shot down or were its siting,i mean you bann lead fishing for blues is over, flatheads ou can use bolts due to their slower current habitat, but it will be hard to fish current if this dumb bill goes throgh:angry: yea i know calm down slikk, its one of them days

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I wouldn't be opposed to having a ban on lead sinkers smaller than 1 ounce.. Those usually get lost in shallower water and are probably harder for a bird to notice.

3. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I think any bird that goes around eating enough lead sinkers to cause it self harm..... I just want to see a case where birds have actually died from injesting lead from tackle. Most cases I have seen where the clean, green bunch shows X rays there is a hook & line attached to this deadly lead stuff.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont know about the impact it has on the water but if their going to ban lead, they better be making a perfect alternative thats just as cheap, lol,they wont ban lead they will tax it, that how they work, they want to suck you dry to line their pockets, we seen it with ciggeretts gas ect, i think the mens bathroom is next, 1 dolla to use the urinal lol:smile2: its not realy funny:angry:

5. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    That is how it seems to work most times.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree that lead is hard on birds if you aim right...You have to aim.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    the lead band has been in on waterfowl hunting since the 70's, we have been using steel shot, Now steel has wounded more birds because of the high speed and light impact, also it fades much quicker than lead, ever since the band of steel shot many manufactures of waterfowl loads have been trying to come up with shot that will have the same dynamics as lead, now there is choices for waterfowl hunters in the use of heavy shot, and shot like black cloud where there is a cutting band on the shot, the cost of heavy shot and other alternatives is costly at best, a round of steel shot can go as little as .25 to as high as $1.00 where this alternative rounds are almost 3x in price, boxes of 10 rounds go form $23 on up, the advantage of the loads are higher kill rate, in my book it balances out, if it takes 2 rounds or more of steel shot to kill one bird vs one round of heavy shot I'll take the heavy shot. How does this compare to lead for fishing gear? simple even now there are many jigs using this same technology and many of us don't know it, I got some weights at wally world, they looked a little bigger, and after reading the package It said Eco friendly. So don't get too alarmed this has been addressed by the producers of fishing gear, Here is a prime example of lead in the water problem, On the Delaware river in Pa, the shad run comes every spring, lure of choice is a shad dart, (lead around 1/4 oz to 1oz) the average person losing one is around 1 a hour if not more the amount of people fishing is, just say a lot, I use to go through 150 darts in one season that is consider normal, if you don't lose a dart you not fishing them right. so consider this over the last say 30 years how many tons of lead is at the bottom of the river? lead will leach into the water it is a soft heavy metal,

8. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to hunt ducks in central Florida with my Dad. When we hunted at the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge we would have to submit the gizzards from certain species of ducks to the biologists for testing. I have seen first hand what lead poisioning does to ducks...it is not pretty. In this case the Refuge was a popular place to hunt with lots of ducks. Due to the amount of hunters and lead shot being fired in the area the was a high chance of ducks/birds picking up the shot when they would feed in the marsh.

I am not saying that lead fishing weights should be banned because of this.
    I dont know if fishing weights are causing the same issue, or if their affect of sitting on the bottom causes problems with it leaching into the water or soil. I really doubt that most birds would pick up and eat a fishing weight since they are so much larger than bird shot.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I pretty much quit hunting geese after the lead ban,no use wasting $$ on ammo that dont bring home the bacon. Here 99% of hunting is done on dry land,cut grain fields. I personally think the EPA has way too big of a hand in some things.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    like the way you think , but i better shut up or this might go to hi lol:smile2: