Bill in SC - Need Advice on Pee Dee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CatFishMick, Apr 29, 2008.

1. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm new to the forum. I've found alot of useful advice just by reading posts. My buddy and I have been fishing the Pee Dee for some years now mostly putting in at 34 and Society Hill. Camped last weekend after putting in at Society hill and had no luck. We're going back to camp all weekend this weekend for my buddy's Bachelor "Fishing" party. I'd like to make it a special one for him by putting us on some nice fish. We usually fish with Nightcrawlers and stink bait and get a few bites and some fish. We have tried everything we know from shrimp to chicken livers, hearts, eel, soap etc.....we just can't seem to find it. Sometimes we catch a few from 3 to 5lbs and very rarely 10lbs or more.

Do you have any suggestions on bait, rig, how to fish, where to fish, time? should we put in at society hill or Blue's? Are there any nice sand bars to camp on near Blue's? Where is Three Creeks?

I'd love for both of us to have great time as we usually do, but to also have even better time wrestling a few monsters. I don't expect you to give away all your secrets but if you could help us I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    There are NO "secrets" among us folks!! :) First, ditch all the bait you mentioned with the exception of the eels. I haven't tried eel personally, but they come HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from some of the "people in the know" here. I do have some to use in the "event" this weekend. I mainly use cut shad and blueback herring right now as I am fishin' for the big blues at present. When it warms up some more, I will be using live bream, fishin' for the giant flatheads. I use a Carolina rig made from 50 pound test monofilament with a 3 ounce minimum egg weight, with a 2 inch cork about 8 inches up from the Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circle hook. I tie the hook on with a snell knot and I tie the swivel on with a double palomar knot. Time of day is NOT important when they are biting. Three Creeks is about halfway between Blue's and 34. There are MANY sandbars between Society Hill and 34, but only when the water is low, can you camp. Blue's is right between Society Hill and 34. I think your main problem might be locating the fish. You didn't mention if you were bank fishin' or boat fishin'. All you need to do is find the biggest pile of snags you can find and drop the bait down in there. I locate fish with my very inexpensive sonar, and then drop the bait slightly upstream from them so they can smell it out. Where do you live? When/where are y'all camping out Friday night? I may camp at Society Hill Friday night and I could bring you a blueback or shad to try. Heck, for a little gas, I'll be happy to do a trip with you and show you, night or day most anytime except this Saturday. I can haul one large person, or two small/medium people on my 16 foot skiff. Believe it or not, I am actually having to work (blasphemy) for four or five consecutive days starting tomorrow. Taking the last two months off to fish has me 'bout broke!!!! :-0 I do promise not to exceed a six hour work day so I can still fish evenings when the river is right. :) BTW: Unless the river runs off real fast, I don't see you camping on a sandbar this weekend as it is near the flood stage at present. Give me a PM and lets plan a trip and I can answer your questions more thoroughly..
    BB in Bennettsville

3. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Take Bill's advice he is the MAN on that streatch of river. There is not much else I can tell U except be careful.

PEEDEE CAT

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Take Bill's advice he is the MAN on that stretch of river.>

DUDE! I'm flattered, but obviously you have me mixed up with someone else! :wink:
    Bill in SC

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BTW: CatFishMick, my comments above about the bait are just what works for me BEST. That doesn't mean that the next state record flattie won't be caught on a chicken liver. It just means that day in and day out, you will catch a better selection of nice, big fish with the baits I mentioned. I suspect ANY meat will catch a catfish, and there ARE occasionally exceptions to the rule.
    BB in SC

6. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for this information. Is there any bait stores in society hill or nearby that sell Shad or Herring. We can't find any here in Darlington or Florence that sell them alive, only frozen. We've never had luck with frozen. Also, you lost me a little when you mentioned the cork. I'm not sure how you're rigging all that up. Can you clarify for me? Could be a brain fart on my part. :confused2:

We will be boating.

After speaking with my buddy about the water level, we've decided we'll be camping at the Society Hill landing instead of a sand bar. Works out best anyway if we need something from the store. We'll be there from Friday Evening to Sunday Afternoon. I'll send you a PM with my cell number in case you'de like to call and visit if you're out there.

7. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Oops, I have to have 10 posts before I can send a PM. Send me one if you'd like and maybe it'll let me reply.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The shad or herring I use is FROZEN. Easiest way for me to store it anyhow. When the fish are biting, I assure you that it matters not one iota if the bait has been frozen or not. It cuts up and fillets better when it is half frozen too. Another point of interest is to keep putting fresh bait on at at least every other drop. Any of it will lose it's blood/scent after a couple of drops. I will PM you with my cell, and feel sure I will see you Friday night.
    BB in SC

9. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Bill,
    YOU ARE THE MAN. That is all I got to say about that.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BTW: I don't know of any stores that sell the shad/herring in SH, but there are lots of netters that have some put up. Netting season ends tomorrow, and no nets will be set with the river like it is now, so it's OVER for this year. I'm sure if you ask around, someone may can direct you to someone who may sell you a couple. Like I said, I can part with one for you to try, but if you can buy frozen ones in Darlington/Florence, by all means, go for it. Saturday, we'll be using shad, blueback, and Peglegreb got us some eel today. We're ready! I just hope the river cooperates.
    BB in SC

11. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks again. I think our problem with the frozen shad was our rig. This should help us a whole lot. I'm going to make a few more posts tonight so that I can send you my number. If you have some bait to spare that would be great. There is one store near the 34 landing that sells frozen shad but not herring. We can pick up some of those and some eel. We still have a good bit of stink bait left so we might as well use it. It does catch the small ones.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Catch ou some bream and cutthem up tey work just a good or IMHO better than shad or herring especially frozen bait always will be better with fresh over frozen any day. Good luck.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    James, Last week peglegreb fished live and cut bream and did NOT get a bite while I was getting many bites on the cut shad/herring. I think the time of year greatly affects which bait is better at the time. The cats are actively feeding on the shad/herring right now. However, I have ALWAYS used cut and live bream with great success. I will soon switch over as soon as the early "run" is over.
    BB in SC

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You're a nut, Greg!! :) Man, I worked TEN hours today!! My boat sure is mad that the truck got unhooked from it! Made enough for a 1500 yard spool of Power Pro 80#!! :) Three or four more days of work, and I'll be set to fish again for a couple of weeks!! :smile2:
    BB in SC

15. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    when u are baiting yuor shad or herring- if you are not cutting it or fileting it, how do you hook your whole shad or herring on???

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I cut it up in about one inch strips, and then usually cut the strip in half making a small chunk.
    BB in SC