Bill in SC might have converted me to... Power Pro!

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've been on the fence alot about braid or mono....:0a34:

I like a lot of the characteristics of braid... Not too happy with the cost though. So I hadn't bought any to try, I didn't want to drop big money on a spool of line and not like it.:beat_brick::angry:

Bill in SC LOVES Power Pro and Suffix braid.:sweat: :006:

Just got back last night from a couple of days of fishing down there. I was very impressed with the line. Handles great, casts great, pulls on the fish great... Yanked them right into the boat!:0a18::cool2:
    I can take my medicine like a big boy. :0a30:

I don't like the low visibility of the green, but the red and the yellow were the cat's meow (yep, pun intended).:big_smile_2:

I guess I'm going to have to start shopping around for some line now....:smile2:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yahooooo, Mountain Dew!!!!!!! Run with the big boys!! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I know the feeling.Im startin to come around to the idea myself.I
    got scared into it.:smile2:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well Bill is a good man to take a lesson from.Braid is the tool of choice for me and I wouldnt go back.Not saying I wont ever use mono again because it has its place.Just remember that the biggest criticsm of braid is its abrasion resistance or lack there of.AR is a function of diameter so braid being smaller than mono for the same lb rating go higher for leader applications.I use 80lb and 100lb would have more AR.For big fish in tough situations braid is the one also drifting I get much better hook sets with braid without the stretch.It doesnt abosrb water and reduce its lb test like mono either.Cost is a factor but if you buy a 1200-1500yd spool and use 150-200 yds per reel the cost is reasonable considering it isnt going to deteriorate like mono and can be used much longer.You pays your money and you take your chances.:big_smile::smile2:

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I've loaded my reels with the yellow PP. I have the red on a smaller baitcast reel and it is knida hard to see too. I use a monon leader so the yellow doesn't matter much at the rig end.

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have seen the yellow on Ebay a few times cheaper than the green for some reason.I may go with that when I can afford it.

7. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    I use power pro also 80lb on a couple of penn gti/s the line is so strong that it bends the number 8 gama circle hooks when they get snagged and when they got a good bite on something I have to use a glove to break it so power is the line for me if you try it you wont go back

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've probably broken off 250 lines since I switched to PP, and I never bent but maybe 1 Gamakatsu 8.0 hook.

Bill in SC

9. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    i use those same hooks now bill those hooks are alot sharper and some bad mama jamas

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <i use those same hooks now bill>

Oh my goodness, the cat is out of the bag! :wink::big_smile:

BB in SC

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I love power pro as well, I don't use the yellow because I figure if I can see it the fish can see it too but I may have to try some because the sporting goods store ran out of 65 pp green all they have is yella:sad2:

12. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I don't worry too much about line visibility with most catfishing I do. I use a low visibility leader to begin with, but I figure, look at all of the cats that are caught on trotlines, limblines, and jugs... The cord used for those is definitely more visible than fishing lines are, given their thickness and texture of the rope.

We had as many hits on the yellow line as we did on the green or red.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I don't worry too much about line visibility with most catfishing I do.>

I agree. Cats don't see well and operate by smell. Plus, they have no idea what a fishin' line is. They dodge around all sorts of stuff in the water to get bait on a daily basis. I've caught cats with both eyes knocked out that were as healthy and fat as could be otherwise. Again, it's a scent thing with them and not visual.

Bill in SC

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I got turned on to Power pro back a few years... by our past BOC buddy "Delta Lover"....(Phillip Gaines)...

My only problem with the line is that I have noticed a loud "hum" with the line on my graphite rods when fishing with my alum boat in the fast water of the lower colorado river....."Very disturbing"... and I felt the noise was a problem with fishing.... I've taken it off and gone back to mono....

It was great for its strength etc... but the noise has to have been a problem with bringing fish to the hook?

Anyone ever hear the noise I'm talking about?

15. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I see y'all like the PP braid but has anyone tried Spiderwire Stealth. Reason I'm asking is my wife bought me some for my birthday(50# and 80#) a few months back and I've been hesitant about using it(not sure how to spool it or what backing to use). Any advice you can throw my way is appreciated.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jeremy
    The Spiderwire is just as strong as the PP..........Ive got several reels spooled with both and couldnt tell you which ones what. Laying side by side I doubt any of the other guys could either. Ive got huge spools of both so Im not gonna tell you ones better than the other when the truth be known it probabally comes off the same spool when its made and labeled differently. I do use a short mono backing to prevent spool slipping.........on both brands. Youll be just as happy with the Spiderwire as the PP.

Give the spool a few wraps of electrical tape and you can do away with the mono backing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <the truth be known it probabally comes off the same spool when its made and labeled differently.>

SW and PP off the same spool? Preposterous! All brands of braid are NOTICEABLY different.

Bill in SC

18. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Another expert............I guess we all ought to be driving big red blunts too

19. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I have to side with Bill on this one... I'm not an "expert", but I've looked at PP and Spiderwire side by side at the tackle shop, and Spiderwire is noticeably stiffer to me.:eek:oooh:

As for coming off the same spool, I doubt that. They ARE probably made in the same factory, to each company's specifications. :wink: There are very few factories that produce and braid the line.

Of course, since Jarden owns Pure Fishing (Abu Garcia, Berkley, Trilene, Stren), Penn, Shakespeare, Pflueger, Sunbeam, and a ton of other companies, chances are that you're favorite "quality" Abu or Penn reel is made right on the same line, from the same parts, by the same Chinese worker, as the "crappy" Shakespeare Tidewater or you favorite 4-slot Sunbeam Toaster.:smile2::smile2:

20. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My understanding is that PP uses a four-line (each comprised of multiple filaments) braid which produces a more square braid that, with the coating they use, ends up being closer to round that most other braids which use a three-line braid and tend to flatten out more.

I tried Spider Wire and noticed right away that it did look flat. That may not be a big deal, but it didn't like the way it tended to wind onto the spool in a little less uniform manner, compared to the mono I was used to.