Bill Gates

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zappaf19, Feb 10, 2007.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.
    Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
    Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually
    Have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    good post bill, thats so true~

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Got that right! I hate whiners. Political correctness be damned, take responsibility for your own actions.

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree with everything the man said. I have herd kids say i'm not working for 5.15 an hour and sit at home and do nothing living off their parents. When they could have been making a little money till something better came along.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well put I just dont understand where anyone gets off on 'starting at the top' hell I worked my way up from 4.00 to 13.00 /hr and it got me a hell of a rep as a hard worker but thats about all ,I dont understand these kids stand on wages at all these days .If you want it go for it ,because it sure aint gonna come jump in your lap

6. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thanks for your post...never better said.

7. bigun12

bigun12 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Whatever one might otherwise think of Mr. Gates. he hits the proverbial nail squarely on the head with this and any young folks who happen to read it would do well to head the mans words!

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thats definately the truth my bill gates shouldve came to my high school lol.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great Post!:smile2:

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well.... here I go again... although I agree it is a great post, this is what snopes says...
    http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.htm

I remember receiving this years ago, but not by Bill Gates.

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You are going to have some new clothes.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Don't like or care for him never have and never will.
    Nuff said!

12. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Not to hijack the thread, but before the inevitible Gates bashing starts consider this:Bill Gates has done more for charity than alot of people who found thier own charities. I have seen his foundation donate new computers and send down techs to install them and software to help children who otherwise would have no computer access learn to use computers at a young age so they don't get left behind. The man may be a shrewd businesman, but he is a generous human being.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_and_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I know you wrote 'nuff said', but,,,,,,, why?