Bill Elliott

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by smokey, May 14, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bill Eliott tried to break the nascar speed record at Daga Yesterday.The old record was 212.?? somthing. Well he crashed,He blew a tire and hit the wall. He wasnt hurt and said that he may like to try it again."YOU GO BILL"
    smokey

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear ya! That takes some pretty big nuggets to attempt something like that!:smile2: rollo

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats to bad i wouldnt mind seeing awesome bill breaking the record:big_smile:

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    What kind of car was he attempting it in???

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The car was a Hajek Motorsports prepped Ford Mustang FR500CJ. It had run 252 mph at Bonneville on E-85 fuel, but was unable to claim the ethenol fuel record due to mechanical probs on the backup pass.
    I would say, on race fuel, had it not been for the crash, awsome Bill would have shattered his 1987 record of 212 mph.

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    [youtubevid]KgjrO7Mn2tU&feature[/youtubevid]

Correction, Elliots record attempt was in an E-85 prepped CJ.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cool...but wonder why they don't try it in a non restrictor plate cup series car???

8. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    The way I understand, it was Brent Hajek's idea, he aproached Elliot with the concept and the E-85 fueled CJ he had built, the Bonneville attempt, and Bill's old record. Must have been too mouth watering for Bill to turn down.
    Hajek is a big supporter of ethanol racing fuels, a broken record by Elliot would have been great for his cause.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah im like you i think it would be more meaningful if it were done in a cup car not some other car.but i guess i could see where he would still want to break the record.its just as a nascar fan it dosnt mean as much.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yep, Rollo...it ain't like we're ever gonna see mikey doing something like that:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    and not only that, i think the boys that built that car are okies....they'll try again:big_smile:

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ummm...mike...bill already holds that record:wink:

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    ummm...Phil... i know.... but Joe's original post said Bill was trying to break his NASCAR record of 212... Don't you think to qualify as "breaking the record" it should be in a NASCAR race legal car??? :big_smile:

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now think about it, Mike:big_smile:
    he tried in a mustang.....that's not a nascar approved car, now is it?:wink:

he was trying to break the record part of the 212, NOT the nascar part of it:big_smile:

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    WHEW, Iam so confused
    smokey:dribble:

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    So am I...:confused2: lol So in that case he could just go out there in an indy car and break that right?????!!!!

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, let me try to help out a little (that is, IF i understand it):smile2:
    bill set a closed course record for a stock car (stock-bodied might be more appropriate name for it)

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Hajek-Motorsports-Shooting-for-Mustang-Closed-Course-Speed-Record.html

altho there have been several people faster than bill at talladega, his is the fastest that met "stockcar" rules. the others, including lyn st james who bill tutored at that track, were more of pure speed/race cars.

not having seen a breakdown of the rules, i must assume this to be the case since everyone agrees bill holds the stockcar record.

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    maybe what i should have said here is that they want to break the stockcar closed course record...altho bill did set it in a nascar legal car, the record covers much more ground than strictly nascar.

i am unable to find out who the sanctioning body is for these records...anyone know?