Bill Dances Catfish Rod??

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by shawn 314, Jul 12, 2009.

1. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    I know most of you guys got these fancy poles but i went out and bought a bill dances catfish pole. Yeah i get talked about alot by my brotha he says that it can't hold a hog.:sad2: I'm jus waiting to prove him wrong:big_smile: I don't know cuz the bites r slow. What do you guys think of the bill dances catfish pole. It's only used on the boat when i go out.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the old ones with the stainless eyes were ok... but the new ones with the orange wraps have a lot of problems with the inserts falling out of the eyes.. and whatever you do dont use braid with them it will cut the inserts out in short order..

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds about right my brother n law has the old all white river one and its pretty good, the new orange ones never looked worth a crap to me sounds like i was right with my assumption.:cool2:

4. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis

wow thats all i use is braid 80lb power pro

5. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    so its looking like i wasted my money on some crap huh fellows. If i'm not miss staking biga it have metal inserts without the plastic lining

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:Thats what I did when I picked one up and looked at it.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't know about them I have never used one.But after hearing about all the feed back I don't think I will.

8. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Unfortunately , I have the 9' model paired with a 70 size spinning reel with 80 pound Spiderwire. Has yet to be broken in. Although when that day comes , I would prefer for it to be broken in and not just broken.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've only held one and it looked alright to me. If you've got eyelets popping out then you're stomping on your rods too much:smile2::smile2: I don't use braid either, no reason at all to use that big of line. But I can't say b/c I haven't used the rods but they look pretty good to me and they are reasonably priced to which is a plus.

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've looked at them before at Bass Pro. Honestly, other than different eyes, I don't see or feel a whole lot of difference between those rods and the regular (not the Pro series) Nitestick rods. I think that the Bill Dance rods have better grips than the Nitesticks do. For the same $30 for that rod VS $30 for a Nitestick, I think that I'd get the Bill Dance rod.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have not used that pole but I have found Bill Dance stuff in general to be junk.

12. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I checked one of those out at Bass Pro, didn't like how the rod tip was soldered, ended up getting a Cabela's King Kat. Of course, a lot of guys think those are junk...

Shawn

13. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis

Everybody got they opinion and thats what everybody think that those off brand rods are junk i dont' think so thats just my .02 of it

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i have one of the bill dance rods in 7'6" MH that i use for wintertime anchoring trips. in january i caught a 45lb blue that i had no problems landing the rod performed nicely. cheap rods are cheap for a reason, if they get broke or messed up they can be replaced without robbing a bank.

15. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    i have owned cheap rods that have out performed some of my more expensive ones alot of time all they need a is a good reel and a good line and sometimes the most expensive thing you would have to do i replace the guides if you want to that is.

16. Titus

Titus New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, Ky
    I got one of the Bill Dances (MH) from Bass Pro (19.99), it seems alright. The first one I picked up was already missing one of the eye rings, maybe thats a sign of things to come:crazy:. I have bad luck with rods getting busted up, so I try and pick up the cheaper rods, but still use good reels. Kinda the same reason I dont buy Oakley's, I know somebodys gonna step on them :cool2:.

17. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I almost picked one up at the BPS yesterday. They were letting 'em go for $19.95. The deal-breaker was that they were one-piece rods. My preference, of course, is a one-piece, but I have to go with the convenience of a 2-piece rod for transport and the places I typically fish.