Bill Dance Catfish Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Liver Slinger, May 9, 2009.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
  2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have 3 of the same rods they are super strong i really like them

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Never tried one, but they are a good looking rod...I don't think that they are as stiff of rod as I like to use..

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've looked at them at BPS. I think that they'd be a good boat rod for sure. Probably work well from the bank as long as you don't have to cast very far. They seem to be stout enough to pull a log, for sure. The only thing that I don't like about them is that the grips are so long, both the fore grip and rear grip. They are so long that they kill about 15 inches of what could be usable rod length.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

What would you use the 15" of rod lenght for, other than Power/leverage?.

The longer rear handle would help improve casting distance and control. while the longer for-grip will help in the fighting of the fish giving the advatage to the fisherman as he moves his hands up or down to control the amout of leverage needed for the fish at hand.

The Hunt for Big Fish!:wink:

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I guess what I meant is this: If a 7 foot rod has (for example) a two foot rear grip, the reel seat, and a 12" fore grip, that would be 3.5' of a 7ft rod that's just grip. Then you've only got 3.5' of blank that's going to be used for casting, hook setting, and fighting the fish. Essentially, you'll have less of a usuable rod blank than a regular 6ft casting rod would offer, and for the most part, none of us would think of using a 6ft rod for long casting or fishing of just about any kind when it comes to cats, other than vertical presentations in a boat. A long rear grip gives power for casting, but that extra long foregrip can keep that part of the blank from being able to load during the cast.

When you set the hook, you're holding the rod on either side of the reel (as the pivot point, per se), generally. Well if that point is almost in the middle of the rod (like it is on that Bill Dance combo), then you're only getting 3.5' of blank length to move the line, VS 5' of blank with an overall shorter grip length that moves the pivot point further back.

That long fore grip gives plenty of lifting power for the person using the rod, because all things being equal, a shorter lever will lift easier that a long lever will. That's why the heavy duty saltwater stand-up rods are all 5.5' to 6' long, with short butts and long fore grips, to move the fulcrum back towards the angler where it can be put the most use, rather than out in front where you can't apply as mush pressure.

I'm in a kind of brain fog today, and I can't think of any other way to explain what I mean about the rod. It just doesn't feel like a 7ft rod when I hold it, it feels like a 6ft saltwater boat rod.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :wink: Actually you can feel the blank bend through the handle on most rods with that type of handle system; while your holding it under a heavy load.:cool2: