bilge pumps

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by bigmac, Jan 8, 2010.

1. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    hey,was wonderin if anyone knows much about bilge pumps. i have a bilge pump set at the back of my boat and when i went out fishin on new years day when it was really cold it must of been frozen up cause that one aand the one in my bait tank wouldnt come on . but my big question is after i got done fishin i let them thaw where my boat was stored and now i cant get either one of them to work, wonder if i blew the motors on them trying to use them when it was cold. wondered if anyone else has had this problem

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've never run into the freezing problem before, but I have had issues with my pumps before.

I'd check your leads coming into the pumps to make sure you have power. It could be that trying to run them while they were frozen simply blew a fuse. If you have power to the pumps and they still are not working pull them out and give them a quick exam. Honestly, I would'nt spend much time trying to fix a broken bilge or livewell pump. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace.

If you have had the boat more that 10 years I would recommend replacing all the pumps, fittings, and lines. I have had the wonder experience of having older pump fittings and hoses breaking while out on the water. It will ruin your otherwise great day of fishing. As these plastic components age (expanding and contracting through summer & winter) they do become brittle.

Good luck finding the problem.

3. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    My boat had a 450 and i replaced it with a 1150 and put a 850 in the live well so i got plenty of pump for every thing.

Foggy :glasses-cool:

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the USCA Bryant,

5. Welcome to the club.

I am an avid winter boater/catfisher. While the boat is sitting on the trailer at home, I keep the front higher than the back. I unlock the pump out of the mount and sit it up high and dry on a hook i installed to keep it out of whatever water that may show up when it mey rain/snow. I keep a gallon ov RV antifreeze on the boat. I'll put a 1/2 cup into the back of the boat where water sits in the rear floor to keep the mounting base from freezing and getting iced up.

It went down to 18* here last night and I checked it and it was not frozen. When I am on the water, usually any water that may leak in is above the freezing mark and I don't have a problem, but I always keep that anti freeeze on the boat and I check the bilge once in a while to make sure it isn't icing up in there. Another plus about that anitfreeze is it is safe for the enviroment and when you do have to run the pump, it will coat the discharge tubing and help keep that from freezing up also. It only takes a little bit to work.

If your pump is already froze, pull it out of the mounting base and check the impeller for ice, there could even be ice you cant see behind the impeller. Most likely you will have to take it off the boat and bring it inside to thaw out. Careful using a heat source to thaw it, you can easily melt or distort the housing.

Another tip I suggest is a concrete curing blanket. Just search the internet to find one. I have them where I work and they are around 40 to 50 bucks. They measure 6 x 25 feet. It is black on top, reflective silver on the bottom, and filled with layers of insulation. It is made out of a tarp kind of woven plastic. And it also has a few eyelets sewn in to bungee cord the sides. I cut one in half and lay it over my boat and it helps keep it warm when it's parked, it works pretty good, even melts the snow off itself, haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to USCA Bryant.

7. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the help. I took it out of the housing and let it thaw and it started working. Thanks