bilge pumps off of small batteries?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by xnmcclurex, Oct 18, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    can you run a bilge pump off of a small battery, one that you would use in a quad or motorcycle? im makin a cart to haul my stuff around and puttin a bait tank on the bottom and would like it to have a nice system in it.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah you could, I threw a real small one in my boat cause my big battery went dead and it works the fishfinder, bilge pump, and the livewell pump.
    Just keep it charged everytime out.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id get one of those portable 12 volt power sources, like the ones you use to jump start a car. Most of them have a 12V plug receptacle. Some even have lights on them.
    Wire the bilge pump with a 12 volt plug and you are good to go.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    buy a solar battery charger and leave it on it and it will be charged every time you use it unless it is in the garage.

5. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how big of a pump and how long of run time? most pumps have amp draw on them, i think mines 3/hr. not sure of the amp hours on a battery like your talking about but i think there about 20-30. if you want it to last try to find a small deep cycle, slow constant draw on a starting battery will kill it alot faster, jmo

6. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    from cali i am thinkin of gettin a small solar charger to keep my deep cycle up while the tsunami 500gph is runnin,do u use one?and is it worth it
    was lookin at the susei small model just to trickle some charge back in ,i keep 15-30 gils or tilapia at a time in my 20 gal tank,with the desert heat i need to keep the pump on full time
    what do you think of the solar chargers?