Bilge pumps for my boat!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lawnman61, Apr 17, 2006.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    OK brothers, I need a little help with this.
    I have an 18 ft bass boat and the bilge pump gave up on me, as some of you already know due to my boat almost sinking at the Texoma gathering.
    I have never had to replace one before and I went to look at some and there are so many different name brands and sizes.
    What is the most reliable bilge pump and what name brand is good and what is the best size for my boat 500gph or 750gph, ect.
    I have no problem being able to hook it up, it's just that I want something I can count on most.

Thanks

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Well Here's My Point Of View, My Boat Is 20', It Basically Does Not Even have A Bilge,Only A Small Tunnel For Your Steering Cables Etc. To Come Into The Center Console.

The Deck Has Scuppers On It & I still Use A 1,100 GPH Pump In it. Your life & Or Someone Else's Is Not Worth Trying To Save A Few Bucks, My Advice Is Go With @ Least The 1,100 GPH. I Guess It's Kinda Like Asking How Big Of A Fire Extinguisher Do You Want To Carry ?:rolleyes:

HTH, Elliot

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    im redoin an old 16ft. lyman and heres how im doin it........im useing rule 500gph. putting one way in the back wired to a toggle switch, putting an automatic one towards the front between the seats. if i dont catch the water with the back one, the front one will come on automatic. at least thats how im hopin for it to work out.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    The pumps I have in there now are 350gph, one in the front and one in the back. I bought the boat used and they were working just fine till this year.
    The one in the back is operated on an automatic switch and the one in front is operated with a toggle switch, I am planning on both of them being replaced and operated strictly with toggle switches.
    I don't have alot of money to purchase the real expensive pumps but thought of replacing them with at least 500gph or 750gph but don't want to spend $100 each but I want something very reliable and something that some of the brothers trust more than others. I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions on what works best for them.

Thanks

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Al I run a 750 gph in the back because that is where most of the water will go to. I run a 350 up front. Unless you have a tremendous amount of water pouring in the 750 will do just fine.
    Like your gas, check that back bilge pump before every launch. Always make sure it has an automatic switch on it.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya i guess it would make more sence to have the automatic in the back and the toggle up front.rule is a good brand. cabelas has the auto for 48 dollars and the manuel for 23 dollars. west marine or any boat supply has them.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex

Thanks Willard, I believe the automatic pumps work good but if I can I turn it on by switch to check before I launch so I know it is working or will it just start when it detects water in the hull ? I'm not real familiar with these pumps and would hate for it to fail without my knowledge, my old one had an alarm that beeped when it was taking on some water and then the pump would come on automatically, this is the way it was hooked up when I bought the boat 3 years ago.
    I really appreciate all info I can get on this matter.

Thanks

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can install a switch on it that will let it be set at auto or manuel. With it on manuel it will kick on by itself. When you go to launch just reach down in the bilg and raise the little flapper and see if it comes alive. I bought both of mine at walley world and you can get the switch at about any boat shop. I'll look and see if I still have a dash switch for a auto set and manuel set if I di I'll send it to you.
    All I have in pumps are 150 and 200 that we use on the little flat bottoms.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldn't even fish in a steady rain with a 500 or a 750 GPH bilge pump.
    Ok so your pump says it is a 500 GPH pump. What is it really pumping?
    It all depends on how far and high you are pumping along with any fittings in the line and the size of the outlet. Your 500 might really be a 215.
    Aint but one way to find out how good your bilge pump is and that is to fill your boat with water in the yard and see how long it would take it to get the water down to acceptable ankle depth.
    I can tell you right now that a 500 GPH Bilge pump's only worthwhile use is keeping the rain water pumped out of the boat as it sits in the yard. If you knock a 2 inch hole in the hull it wont come close to keeping up with it.
    Never figured out the concept of a 12.95 Walmart 500 GPH bilge pump being used on a boat that set you back 15 or 20 grand.
    Spend 150 dollars and a little time installing something you would atleast stand a chance with if you were unlucky enough to punture or crack a hull.
    Its the cheapest boat insurance around.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks for your input Mark, I have to say your right about how much it really pumps. I guess I'll haveto go to BPS or Cabellas and really check these out.
    As far as I know right now, the only way water is coming in my boat is around the main cap seal and I have fixed that part of it and now I just need to get the bilge pumps to finish it up.
    Thanks a heap brothers for all your info on this.

AL

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I will agree with you there mark up to a point. If I bought a boat that cost 15 to 20 grand it had better already have the high dollor pump in it.
    The concept of the big bilge pump comes from the fact that you will be a long way from shore when this takes place. The set up I have has proven to me on two occassions that it will handle the job.

I am going on the assumption that we use a bilge pump fro what it is made fro to pump the bilge out not be routed through the live well and every thing else.
    I had rather have a 750 wal-mart pump then nothing at all.
    I don't have the money to spend 150 bucks on a pump so I fish where i can get to shore if need be and I still fish from a boat that I bought new in 1974.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    well lawnman, im gunnu change my plan. good thing i havent bought anything yet, think ill go with a more gph model. thanks for bringin this up cuz im ready rite now to install pumps and i would have gotten the 500s.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm sure Mark didnt intend any critcism of a persons choice of what pump they could afford.A Pump regardless of price is better than NO pump no matter how expensive.:) Marks point is very valid as we tend to take numerical ratings at face value.GPH means per hour if it is operating on the test bench under optimal conditions.500GPH is NOTHING compared to the inflow from even a modest hole in the hull.That works out to 8.3 gallons a minute going out and two swipes with a 5gal bucket will beat that.On my 21 ft center console I have a Rule auto 1100 GPH in the bilge.It also works manually from a switch in the dash.It is quick detachable from the bracket and when I bought the boat I followed a tip from a boating magazine and cut the wires to the pump and installed male female connectors.I ALWAYS carry a spare aboard and if it fails I can disconnect the wires lift it out of the brackets place the spare in the bracket hook the wires together and be pumping again within 60 seconds,30 if I'm in PANIC mode.I also carry a spare 750 pump with connectors on the wires that I can fasten to any of the three batteries on board with sufficient plastic tubing to pump overboard.Trust me there isn't anything scarier on a boat than to fill it full of water,far from shore.Err on the side of more capacity when considering pumps and then Murphys law will ensure that since you are prepared you wont ever have to use it.;) :rolleyes: :cool:

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks,
    I just figured that if anyone knows about anything, just ask the brothers on the BOC. You can get more info in here than any other place around.
    A BIG THANKS TO THE BOC for making this a place to find anything we need and the brothers and sisters in here are the greatest !!!!

AL

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jim's philosophy on pumps is the best way to be.
    Like an airplane has 2 seperate ignition systems because if one fails it falls from the sky without a redundant backup.

No need for the redundacy in a car because at worst you coast over to the shoulder of the road and call a tow truck and nobody is hurt.

In a boat the redundant pumps are a necessity in my book. On more then one occasion I've been on the water fishing in a tournament in unrelenting rain all day. About 2 hours into the misery I realize pump #1 is not working for whatever reason but not uncommon with a pump of this type. I hit another switch and pump #2 comes to life.

Even if you aren't willing to spend the money or have the room for the higher quality higher capacity pumps you can always go with 2- 500GPH or 2- 1000's depending on boat size.

Not only is it rain, hitting a log, or taking a wave over the bow enough to deal with but something as simple as a thru-hull failure could be catastophic to life and property. Most of these thruhulls these days are nylon and dont hold up very well with age. By the time you realize you have a problem in this case you'll have water above the sole and already be behind the 8 ball. That is when you want to be pumping 1500-3000 GPH.
    You'll have enough pumping ability to not only keep up with the inflow but to pump out what you are already holding. You have to consider in this particular situation there isnt any hauling butt to the nearest bank or boat ramp to save your boat. A bilge full of water is real hard to plane and the shift of all that water to the rear of the boat may be enough to start the bubbly slide.

16. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio