Bilge pump?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Kevin N, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Kevin N

Kevin N Member

State:
    Georga
    Name:
    Kevin
    I have just traided my 10' jon Boat for a 16 trihaul wth a 60 hp merc. the boat was striped of course! it was a haul moter and steering wheel there was never a pump in the buildg the boat has two plugs the lower (to the bildg) plug screws the upper (to the deck) is a expanchion plug should i put a pump in the haul and if i should does anyone have a site to help with this task ???

And i am thinking about running LED running lights inside the boat i read the thread on that and am thinking about useing the tube type for under the running boards of a car or truck the people at auto zone said it should work the kits are ready to install has any one tryed that yet

Kevin
    P.S. my coworkers said it is a old boat and if it didn't have a pump why put one in now.

2. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was in the same situation ..why??? Well things happen beyond our control , and I feel safer with 1 especially with the kids .It costs $30 and takes and hour , there are directions on the back of the package when you buy a kit.Pretty simple , bilge in lowest possible place , wired to fused switch , and 1 hose to an outlet above the water line , I have even seen people run the hose over the hull , doesn't look good that way but is functional .I am glad I did put 1 in as a hose came off my live well spray bar and I didn't realise it until quite a bit of water was in the hull.Turned on the bilge , in probably 2 minutes we were fishing worry free again.

3. Kevin N

Kevin N Member

State:
    Georga
    Name:
    Kevin
    I was not sure I was thinking about the buildge and putting in a pump or even filling it with foam as i have read on here the foam would make the boat unseankably this is my first boat that I ever got that needed repairs. It is the second boat I have owned i enjoy doing repairs on boats and autos.and feel you can never have it to safe so I was leaning to foam filling it as that would make it so much safer.

Kevin

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you go with a bilge pump dont waste your money on anything less then 2000GPH.
    I'd run 2 pumps Maybe a 1500 and 2000 or 2- 2000's.

The reason being. None of these pumps pump at its rating. Its lower. Much more lower the higher its GPH rating. Some manufacturers are alot worse then others.

The other reason, Put a pencil sized hole in the bottom of your hull. The incoming water will be under pressure. These bilge pumps you find in the Walmart boating section might as well be a hood ornament when you need a pump. Their purpose is to handle incidental water that winds up in a boat during use, not emergencies like a holed hull.

With foam. Make sure its marine foam flotation foam and be careful. You can blow your entire boat apart if you attampt to use it improperly. That expansion foam has to have room to expand.