Bilge Pump ??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Jan 13, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok guys i got a question. I have a 500 GPH bilge pump and i can hook it up right and it pumps fast. if i hook it up backwards it will run half speed. neg to positive positive to negative. My question is will it draw less battery hooked up backwards being its running slower? iv ran it alot backwards in my bait tank and it hasn't hurt anything just wondered if it would save battery power.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You sure it runs half speed or just pumps less water because the viens are bent the wrong way to pump efficiently when it's hooked up wrong?

3. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    bobpaul, i think you hit it on the head. oh yea thanks for the info on mine, thats what i wanted to hear.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    never looked at it that way. That's exactly what it does. how long should a 500gph bilge pump run off a deep marine trolling battery? see i want to use the 500gph but id like to be able to slow it down sometimes to save battery power. Most time it will run about 24 hours on a full charge. Guess i need to get a battery just for baitank pump? any of you guys have those solar power chargers? do they work ok? thanks

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Miichael, Do you have this pump at home running a bait tank. If so then go get you a battery supply that hooks into any wall outlet and hook it up to it.

6. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Michael, i've got a 700 gph pump and i can run it 36 plus hours off my battery. if you are installing it on a livewell you will need to put a check valve between tank and pump.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nope it just runs when on the water i dont use it at home. I catch bait night before and leave it running from 7pm the night before till about 7pm the next day. Sometimes it runs longer than 24 hours. Just have to get me a separate battery just for pump

8. simplecaveman

simplecaveman New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Spare battery never hurt nobody!

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    may be a stupid question but how do you check the charge of your battery? i have a multimeter but it doesn't show amps. a dead battery is still 12volt. What kind of meter do i need? amp meter? can i check it with a multimeter somehow? my trolling motor tells me if its full, good, med, or low. that's what i been using to test battery. would like a portable tool that will let me test them. what do i need?

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    The best way is with a hydrometer. If it's a sealed battery you can use a digital volt meter.

Temp: 67 degrees F

Percent Hydrometer Unloaded
    charge reading voltage
    100 1.262 12.61
    75 1.207 12.28
    50 1.157 11.98
    25 1.117 11.74
    0 1.097 11.62

Kinda hard to read, but you will get the idea

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have a set of gages installed on my boat that tells me what percentage of power left in my batteries and it does each one individual. As for hand held I have never gave that much thought

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Wally world has a small meter with lights on it that will read the charge.
    It is about $4 I think. It is in the sporting goods section. So far mine has been pretty accurate.