Bilge Pump Questions????

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by PRKRANGER2, Sep 13, 2008.

1. PRKRANGER2

PRKRANGER2 New Member

State:
    Chattanooga TN HBSP
    I am new the the world of boat ownership. I am having the transom redone in my 1985 Stratos Bass Boat. I took all the pumps and aerators out and was wondering is there anything I can do to clean them up and out before I reinstall after the transom is finished. Should I just replace them all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You are in there so why not replace em. Thats what I'd do. :wink:

3. PRKRANGER2

PRKRANGER2 New Member

State:
    Chattanooga TN HBSP
    I think that is what I am leaning towards. I would like to go back with automatic bilge pumps.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats the route to go. Redo the wirein also. Nows the time. Whenya can get to it all without alot of drama. LOL!

5. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Ya, I'd go new too. It would be a bad deal if you were on the water and sprung a leak and your old bilge pump failed you.:crazy:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Replace. Had one fail. More water comin in than going out. NOT GOOD!!

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I agree, go with new, wiring too.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If all you're talking about is rainwater or a slow leak, any old pump will work. Plan for the big one.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not only would I replace them I would upsize them.
    If it's like any other boat I've seen when it came to bilge pumps they were pitiful.
    I recomend two pumps. Always have one for back up and to add to the pumping ability.
    On an 18 foot boat I would install 2-2000 GPH pumps. No less then a total of 3000 GPH.

The rating on pumps are without a water column , hose, fittings, elbows, etc.
    Those are unrestricted ratings.
    When you restrict them as you have to with an install it severely effects the GPH you actually get from them. Some brands are better then others in this regard.

Cost shouldn't be a determining factor when it comes to pumps.
    It's one of those things that can save the day and a life or two in a bad situation.
    I think of it as a good insurance policy. You may never need it but if you do, it pays off.

10. PRKRANGER2

PRKRANGER2 New Member

State:
    Chattanooga TN HBSP
    I plan to replace and upgrade the pumps. Right now I there was one bilge and two recirc/aerator pumps. How would I add another bilge to the system. I can attach pic if necessary.

11. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    I agree with Mark , get 2 bilge pumps . compared to every thing else we buy to catch fish and put on our boats pumps are cheap and its a one time expense , buy good ones and don't worry about them anymore .