Bilge pump or bubbler?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by miichael, Jul 17, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have this aerator kit..
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1293&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults
    in a big cooler now but i cant seem to keep bream alive very long with it? or anything in that matter. If i keep my water changed every hour they live. If not they die. I dont think it puts air in the water like a bubbler does? Its suppose to filter and aerate the water but it dont seem to be working for me. Will a bubbler work better for keeping them alive long? maybe something like this?

http://www.procats.com/article/81?PHPSESSID=9486f85f5a5f763d29a4fe50ddabf596

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I don't know what that thing you have is but I have a cheap areator from Walmart that works great I think it was $6. I've seen the same one I have keep 21 bluegill in a 5 gal bucket alive for about 8 hours.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The thing i got dont really add air to the water it more less just circulates the water spraying it back down which adds some air but i think a bubbler would work better for adding air to the water. Which would work better the 2D bubbler or the 12V bubbler? Do they both produce same amount of air? The 2D would be better if it worked just as good as the 12V that way you could have no wires or big battery.

This one?

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=MMPDB

or this one?

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=MMPPB

4. 1-flathunter

1-flathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Use both.If not set up so bilge pump sprays on top of water level.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I personally hate using batteries(a,aa,aaa,d etc). Ive just found that with nearly all products its better to go with a wall plug or a 12V. I dunno how long the "D" one last though.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the bubbler from walmart that uses 2 D batteries will last about 20 hours per set if you use good batteries and keeps bait alive. I have one on a 5 gallon bucket and another I a 40 quart cooler and they both seem to work for me.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Actually, neither item will put air into the water. They circulate the water which supposedly expells the carbon dioxide when it rolls to the surface and takes on oxygen in the process. The circulation is what does the job, not the bubbles.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have a set up almost like the first one there in a 96 qt cooler for a bait well. I have no probles keeping bulegill alive for days as long as my battery holds up that is.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

just to follow up the bubbler at walmart is 5.97 and comes with tubing and a stone. I had to replace mine this morning after 3 years.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I got a bubbler from Acadamy, 19 bucks, hooks up to my boat batery, I put it on my 48 qt ice chest, it will keep all the gills I can fit in there alive. It just needs to be oild after each use.

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have the set up you have to I have just used it this year its pretty reliable just try ro keep your water clean and cold.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i like using a bubbler... kept bluegills and carp alive for hours on one... I buy the cheap $6 one from wallmart... supposedly 33 hrs on 2 D batteries... i think i've had mine last longer then that actually... All I know is it keeps the bait alive... I just set up a cooler with 2 attached to the side and a hole drilled through for each air hose to a 5 inch Air stone for keeping minnows alive for the camp i work at... So far so good... 3 chubs (about 14 inches in all) and there are no problems... i'll put an iced bottle in there in the morning to keep it cool and we'll see what my coworker brings to add to the collection...

13. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    maintain the water temp.
    I use an aqarium pump(bubbler) with power inverter on my boat. IN a 32 gallon cooler. Keeps lots of big suckers alive really well. But key is keeping water temps cool, use frozen water bottles.
    Last note.
    Dont close up the container tight what ever system you use if it can be helped. The water needs to offgas or it can get toxic quick.
    good luck.
    Larry

14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I have an American Angler aerator. It's yellow and comes with line and an airstone. It was about $6 at Walmart. It runs on 1 "D" battery but has a place to store a second one. I have ran it for a good 30 hours before on one D battery during a camping trip.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Michael, Doc Lange I would say is the leading authority on the site as far as bait wells. He has some good information on keeping bait alive and has used several different commercially sold systems.
    Maybe he'll post here or PM him and get him to post under this topic for all of us to see and learn.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Great tip Larry.I open my livewell up as soon as I shut the engine off.Obviously you dont want an open container while moving.BIGGEST point of aeration is that oxygen exchange happens at the surface so open the container to the air where the toxic gases can be passed off and new oxygen can enter.Temp is the other big factor and cooling the water with ice in whatever format will greatly increase its capability to absord and hold oxygen.:smile2:

17. draghook

draghook New Member

State:
    Shawsville Va
    I also use the Walmart Special works good.