Bilge Pump for bait tank Im making?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by flathead_ky, Apr 5, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was in WalMart today in the outdoors section and found a bilge pump that you can hook up to a 12 volt battery. It said it was good for keeping bait and fish alive. I was going to make me a bait tank to take on the weekends. Would this be a good choice to use, because I will be keeping some big baitfish in it?

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I bought one, installed it in a nice cooler, works great. I wired mine with a 12v remote control switch so it can be cycled on and off from 250ft. A company called Logisys makes it (comes with 2 keychain remotes) and it can handle 15amps draw and the Rule pumps used by "Fish Saver" only draw 1.5amps . I made a cord to go from battery to pump (by mounting a cigarette lighter type socket on the cooler) and I also made a chord to go from cig lighter in car to cooler so i can run it in the car, on my buddies boat, etc..... in a pinch the one chord can be used to charge up my battery if need off of my car cig lighter. It's pretty cool.

Richard

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Is it just the pump, or did it come with a spray head mounted on pvc?

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It has the spray head on it. I think it ran about $21.95 or something

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
  6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I will post pics of mine as soon as I can.

7. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah I would like to see the pics, because Im going to build me one this weekend. There is a cold front that has moved in here so I probably will not be fishing any on my days out of the office!

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Richard, get some pics attached to this and I'll get this in the library along with all the others that are in there. That's what makes the library so good, input from members. Shoot me a PM when if you do this so I don't forget. Thanks.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They work good but I would pop the top off and put in a "T" and a couple small 1/2 peaces of PVC with some holes drilled in them to reduce the spray comming off them.

10. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have one in a 30 gallon barrel. i made the battery leads long and put a long holes on my so i could set it i the water and fill my tank up out of the river then put it in barrel and run it to keep water moveing. then when i was done i could us it to pump my barrel out.

11. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Sounds like a good plan...several bait keeper plans lurkinng at BOC.

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here is a way to add oxygen to your bait tank for under 15 dollars. Parts list: Atwood V 500 bilge pump ( Walmart 11.00 ), Small aquarium air valve ( pet store 2.00 ), Air line ( same pet store ) Plastic container ( about quart size ), Filter material ( I used some left over air conditioner filter, net bath spongy things etc.)
    Remove the base plate from the pump, cut tubing at a angle and wedge between water inlet on bottom of pump. Tubing should be a little over halfway of the impeller opening. Replace pump base, this should hold tubing in place. Make an appropriate size hole in the side of the plastic container( should be fairly snug), for the pump discharge. Make sure to get the hole the correct height. Connect air valve to the free end of tubing. I also attached the pump to the bottom of the plastic container, then added a couple of lead weights to keep pump and filter on bottom. Place filter media on top of pump, then place in bait tank.
    The air control valve also controls the flow of water, more air less water flow, less air more water flow. You want just enough water flow so the bait has to gently swim to stay in place. To much water flow and your bait will tire, stress and not last as long. I use it in a 25 gallon tank.

Attached Files:

13. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    three more pics

Attached Files:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Remember, big bubbles have little value. Small bubbles last longer infusing more oxygen into the water before they rise to the surface.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. I have one fixed the same way and it works great.:big_smile:

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I copied this thread to my work area for the library. I anyone adds anything to it, please send a PM. Thanks.