bigwater uglysick 12 footers

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jul 5, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    can anyone explain the action on the hevy vs the medium heavy, and the line guids, i think ill pick me up one next month, like i said in the thread below, i need the one that can sling ten oz 50 yards,,but, will the hevy action be to stiff for a circal hook,so, i need to know about that and how the top line guid holds up to braid

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The tip of the heavy action will probably be to stiff for a circle hook and will not give you enough flex to cast a longer distance. I would look at the medium heavy for a more all around use. I have never used a twelve foot rod.

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe i read in another thread that you said you lived nextdoor to Catfish Connection. If this is true i would go over there and check out their selection of rods. They carry American Spirit Nitesticks and in my opinion these rods are just as good if not better than the bigwater rods and the best part is half the price. I have a 12' one and love it!!!

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jake, the 12' Big Water Heavy Action has a fast tip. Trust me. It will load up hard and sling a 8-16 weight way out there no problem. :cool2:

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had the 12' heavy action for one day and returned it for the extra heavy action and had it for one day and returned for a refund. Neither had enough backbone for river fishing. The rod was like a bullwhip in my opinion. I didn't feel comfortable casting anything over 6oz, and the lure rating was up to 24oz. Fishing non current calm lakes, it is probably a great rod. I am talking about the casting model, maybe the spinning models are different. Good luck.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 12 foot extra heavy ugly stick big water...It is the toughest strongest rod I have ever used.

I can cast 20, yes 20 ounces of weight with it....And I also use circle hooks, no probelm at all.

The guides are good, it is just an all around great rod...Dont get the medium heavy.

Last year I caught my personal best 55-lb flathead in river current, the rod handled the fish with ease..I was throwing a 10 ounce sinker with a big sahd head out to about 100 yds..

slikk get this rod, you will never be sorry...I would get the extra heavy if you can find it, if not get the heavy action/

The rod will flex when casting a heavy sinker, but you want that to get casting distance.

I repeat, dont get the medium heavy in this rod, not enough back bone for what you are wanting.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

Been there, done that, agree completely. I could sling a big sinker and bait further with my 7' Tiger Rod than I could with the wimpy 12 footer. Returned it and got a 10' Heavy, which was much much better. I believe they have discontinued the 12 MH, but you may still run across them.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    THANKS, BOC DUDES, IM GETTING ONE, ALSO IM GETTING A SOLARIS, LIKE MR ALTON AKA DAVE HAS, I THINK YOUR SO USED TO THE FIBERGLASS DAVE THAT THEM HEAVY GLASS RODS REEL UNCOMTERBUL FOR YOU, BUT, IM GOING TO BY BOTH, ONE IN AUGEST, THE SOLARIS IN DECEMBER

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    extra heavy, thats a broomstck then right,i need some bend, lol,them blus run so fast they need a shock asorber, so they dont rip ther flesh out or whatnot mmmmmm,lol mr altonesaide the 12 heavy was like a bullwhip so i dont know, got a month to decide

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ys but not for what i got to do, sling ten 0z 50 yards, and rods held high, to not snag

11. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Longer rods will help you with casting distance, and will lessen the overload of weight on the rod.
    I don't understand rod held high to prevent snagging?
    If you are worried about the tip being too fast for circle hooks, and since you are bank fishing, lower your rod angle.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i dont know im told they kind of a slow action rod all the way throgh, like a huge medium action, it wil bend but its thick and like a whip,thatsv why im debating a solaris 12 ghrphite or a bp ofshore angler,ita between them, i love the solaris but can they fight a big bluecat in without snaping i wish them were stronger,i think a bluecat would be fine, but a flathead would ling to the bottem so its a toss up solaris or 12 hevy uglystick

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    id like to get one but i gt to cast 50 yards, with a 8 oz, or ten,im not shure if it will work, any betterthan my berkly glowstick

14. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    With all these rods your buying, you should just get a damn boat slikk!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:. Then you won't have to cast across a football field to catch a fish!!! hahaha. I'm just playin with ya man. I GOTTA boat and keep buying more damn rods.:wink:

15. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    you should be able to cast 50 yds easy with a 8-9' rod?? what kind of reel you got slick??

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    12 foot Ugly stik heavy will cast very well and the tip is sensitive enough. Great rod for the money.

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You probably already know this but if you have the room, don't reel the sinker up to the rod end. Hang that puppy down about 6 feet (1/2 the rod length) and cast it that way. With the sinkers we catfish guys use that added length will get you an extra 25-30 yards or more. It is like casting an 18 footer if you take your time and let the sinker catch up to your rod end before releasing.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i asked alot on rods, becocase, some say they dont cast good, but, i think thats what im getting,in a casting model, i thoght about the solaris rod, but, i just cant risk the it to break into, on a fast run from a big blue, also a ugly will be good for my local flathead lakes, so its an all around unaversal cat rod, welder recomended the offshore powerpluss 12 footer, its half the price, ill test them both and see whats better, the solaris is out of the qwestion for this year, cant chance it breaking

19. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    im gonna tell you the best of both worlds!!! get you an abu 6500 or 7000 put good line on it and get you an 8ft rod from either cat safari,team catfish or one of the boc sponsors-cherokee,flamekeeper, if the custom rods of the latter two are too expensive get one of the others!! my wifes cat safari (pink) and abu 6500 c3 with 2oz sinker,almost full 6" shad along with an 8 inch bobber ( the cigar type i think) probably a total of 12-16 oz and i can cast it an easy 100yds give or take 20!!! and the rods are awesome!! with the abu 6500 you sacrifice a lil cranking power to the penn and some others but they hands down will get you more distance than most reels in the same price range! i saw were you only needed to cast 50 yds?? take my advice and save your money and get you an abu and one of the rods i mentioned and i promise you that you will not be disappointed! my wife can cast this same setup 40 yds and i just taught her how to use them about 6-8 weeks ago!! and for my casting when i try to catch a few rockfish at the dam- i have a 9ft glowstick with a 6500c3 and with a 2oz lead head and a twister im casting an easy 75-85 yds !! just remember also your best distance will be determined by your angle of launch! if your throwing straight over the top your distance wont be a good as a 3/4 side armed motion !! and i will promise you any of these rods will hold up to the fastest charging blues and the deepest diving flatties!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got three abues the best is the pro roket, but i need a twelv footer, im almost 85 percent shure im going with an uglystick, but thanks for the advice