bigmaac's fishing report

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by bigmaac73, Apr 6, 2008.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Had a tough day on the river yesterday. Day kinda started out bad due to some unforseen issues when we got out late. But it was actually lucky that we got delayed. weather was real bad but I had convinced myself that it was all gonna go north of us. Had it not been raining when we got to the boat ramp I would have been stuck on the river in a monsoon. Anyways, we pulled up under the bridge at the boat ramp for the Yellow River on Hwy 87 and waited for about 6 hours for a break in the weather. We just kicked back and waited it out. Finally got on the water about 1pm. I thought the day was already shot but I HAD to fish. We fished from about 1pm to around 7pm and caught one nice flattie. We were using live and cut bluegill. The flathead was right at 9.5lbs and was 27 inches and hit a live bluegill that was placed right in front of a log on the edge of a hole in a little eddie. I have got to get some bigger sinkers cause those 2 and 3 ounce no rolls that I have just will not hold in that current. Old yellow sure is a swift ol river. Found some nice holes anyway thanks to an old timer that was nice enough to stop and give us younguns' some advice, and had a good time. Well give her another shot when the weather is a little nicer to us. Plannin on goin out next weekend too. Hopefully well get into a mess. Well, until next time, tight lines and good fishing.

2. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    that was my fishin partner with the only fish of the day

Attached Files:

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Thats a good eater. I get my no roll sinkers from catfish connection. I get them up to 8 ounces and there are at pretty good price...

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats a nice looking eater thanks for the pic

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Well, I'm heading out again on Sat. Hope the weather is a little better for this trip but it looks like a 40% chance of rain again. I have the bullhead trap set up at a pond and we will be checking it tommorrow. I hope to have plenty of bullheads to use for those flatheads and plenty of shrimp for those nice eater channels. It is gonna be tough the next month or so cause we are getting into the rainy season. Not quite sure how it goes down here. Maybe I could get some of you veterans that live around here out on the water for a little tutoring session:big_smile:Still looking for those mullet. I just know that they will go crazy for them, they are always junping out here just dont know how to catch them(what to use as bait for R&R) We will report back in on sunday with the results. Until then, tight lines and good fishing.

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Catch anything Sat?

7. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Well, Saturday was a bust. I am in the military and me and my fishing partner got called into work. We worked from around 6am to 5pm and by the time the day was over all we wanted to do is go to bed. I have been going out to the bay on my way home from work every couple of days and there are getting to be some HUGE schools of baitfish down off the fuel loading docks. I netted some today to see what they where and they look like threadfin shad. They are really oily and smelly and if you have them out of water for more than 15-20 sec. they die. Not hardy at all. But I bet they would either make good cut bait or good chum. Not long now before those mullett start moving in and then its go time. With those shad and some fresh mullett, I think I can tear up the channels and blues on the yellow. Once I get to know that river then I will move to another and see where I like to fish the best. Right now I am taking it one river at a time. Like I said in another post though, Right now is some tough fishing. I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I went on thursday and besides two small ones, we got skunked. I dont think we are getting out early enough and staying late enough.