Bighead Carp VS Walleye

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Graywolf, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Read an article in the Peru paper the other day that the bighead Carp may close the Walleye tournament in Spring Valley this year. :sad2:

I don't really fish for walleye, but I sure do hate to hear this...

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They're gonna close down all fishing in the next 20 years or so, if we dont do something about them !

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Not much can be done but try and net them out.

4. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    These Carp are a big problem that is going to get worse if something is'nt done soon. Market value of $.10 a Lb. will not attract Commercial Fisherman, especially if they have to make a 200 mile round trip to market them. Some entrapenure needs to find a use for them such as converting them to fertilizer, food, etc...or a sterilization program that targets that species only. I don't know if our government, ( I would like to add an adjective in front of government) is doing anything besides worrying about where there next under the table handout is coming from.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    You are also going to see parts of the river "closed" to any recreational boat traffic. That being the reason on the tourney's to dangerous to run the water, :eek:oooh:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    it seems that catfish were the reason they were brought here. i read at the deer show yesterday they were used to clean catfish ponds but got into the rivers due to flooding.

ya there a mess.

7. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I heard that the special 3 week's of fishing for bighead carp below the Carlyle Lake Dam was unreal. I heard there was a goal of 16,000lbs. to be removed and that was done in two days. I never did get the final tally of how many of those bighead's were netted but hopefully this is something that will continue.

I agree there has to be someway of marketing them as it is so easy to catch tons without really trying.

8. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    If I remember right, they took 20 or 25,000 lbs the first day and close to 60,000 lbs. total, and that is a relativly small area. Just imagine how many of them are in our river systems. If someone has the harvest figures, let us know.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when i opened this i thought i was gonna see a really good video of a really good fight. much more of this and a new requirement in a boat is gonna be one of those really big shields that riot police carry.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you can step on 20000 cockroaches but they are still comin back. they are coming from the miss. thats where they need to be targeted.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I talked to a Commercial fisherman the other day, and he was in on a big net operation at Festus Mo. He claimed the caughr 80,00 lbs of Asian carp, and he got 15 cents a lb. The guy who bought them supplies a semi trailer. I know I've seen him and another guy catch a bunch around here. He claimed he now has to hunt for them, which is good news, but they are thick up at the Dam Lock 19 on the Mississippi. I don't know the answer, but if they intend to shut the Walleye tournament down because of Asian Carp, maybe the DNR will authorize another netting on the Illinois River. Later Andy

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    keep on catchin em in the spillways, it wont make one bit of difference. they are coming upstream from the miss. they will spawn every season just like any other fish. catch a million in carlyle spillway and it wont matter. we have to target them in the miss. you cant keep weeds outta your garden by cuttin off the leaves.:sad2:

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That is a good point, Shane. They have to be targeted at the source.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that aint right !!!!!!!!!!!!

15. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I suggest the conservation dept take that shocking device they like using to screw up crappie fishing every year and do some real conservation work. They could clear the rivers of these if they would use those shocking devices and put in the time.

16. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    The only problem with that is they aren't spawning exclusively in the Mississippi anymore. At anytime and any place those things can be removed will help. Will it fix the problem, no but if nothing is done the problem just gets worse. To think that pulling them out of anywhere in the river systems that connects to the Mississippi doesn't help isn't thinking of the big picture. I would say that these carp are more concentrated in the Illinois and Kaskaskia Rivers. The past two years I find it more dangerous on these two rivers than the Mississippi.

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am scared of the Mississippi... and I had plans on fishing the Kaskaskia.. now you are going to make me more scared to fish the Kaskaskia with comments like that! :crazy:

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Future river fishing systems to be sold at local bait shops, place your orders soon! :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:

19. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I did alot more running on the Mississippi River last year than the Kaskaskia River...guess which I had more problems with jumping carp. I still think the Illinois is the worst of the three.

20. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I ran on the kaskaskia alot last year....really didnt have too bad of a problem with them...just might have been lucky not to have my head knocked off by them.