Bighead carp... Help fast...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Rollinunknown, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well i was just down at the local spot snaging for bighead carp....

A guy walked up and said i cant snag bighead carp... i said are u sure its a bait fish ? he said no you cant snag them he knows for sure...

He wouldn't tell me how he knew for sure?
    Thease bastards tear every net i buy when i throw net them ... and you cant snag them ?

:eek:oooh:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    He is FULL OF BULLSHEET!

On top of that you are required to kill them before you release them. It is illegal to return a live bighead/silver carp into the waters of Missouri!

3. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    damn ok thats its im gonna put the boat in and head up to that spot skip...

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    He was just misinformed, that's all. The MDC states that you may snag non-game fish March 15 - May 15 and Sept. 15 - Jan. 31. Even the much hated asian carp still fall into these seasons.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  6. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I called the MDC last year and was told you could snag asian or bighead carp any time of year, as many as you wanted, and to kill them when you catch em. So I'm assuming they don't fall into the snagging season of any kind.

7. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Red Necks wake up, there could be a new sport? Forget skeet shooting or quail hunting, take a shotgun when you go fishing. On the way up river to your favorite fish-en hole blast the high flying carp. Will it ever catch on? Who knows. HA

8. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

As fun as this may sound, It is NOT legal to take or attempt to take any kind of fish in Mo with any kind of Firearm!!!!

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Taking the fun out of everything:smile2::wink:

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We should ask the MDC to change the regs a hair so we can shoot bigheads with a shotgun. Carp blasting could be a funn pasttime.
    Of course they never gona let us. But its a thought.:wink:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Geez, there's quite a bit of misinformation in this thread... It's really not that hard to read the regs, guys - or even read the "Summary" booklet that was linked previously. Regardless of what you heard from this guy who knew a fellow who talked to some dude who used to live next door to an MDC agent, if it's not actually written in the regs, then it's not true.

Snagging is allowed in Missouri from March 15 - May 15 and Sept 15 - Dec 15, not all year around. And there's no special exemption for bighead or silver carp. Get caught snagging outside the regular season, or in an area where snagging is prohibited during the regular state-wide season (like on Truman or Lake of the Ozarks), and it doesn't matter what species you're snagging for, you'll still get a ticket.

Plus there are lots of exceptions to the state-wide snagging season. Check the regulation summary document for details. For example, from below Bagnell dam to hwy 54, snagging is prohibited. And from Hwy 54 to the Missouri River, snagging is allowed Mar 15 - Apr 30 only. So if you were in that area, you were definitely in the wrong.

It's not illegal to return a live bighead or silver carp into the waters of Missouri. The regs say you can't use them as live bait, but that's all they say. As a matter of practice, I think it's a great idea to kill every one of those damned things you can, but the law doesn't require it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009