Bighead Carp & Blue catfish..

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by blzfan1963, Aug 4, 2007.

1. blzfan1963

blzfan1963 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was reading some of the post last week and saw that a member was using Bighead carp as bait so I figured I would give it a go.. I was fishing at Lewis and Clark in the canal. I put fillets on one rod and whole fish (6"-9")on the other. Did pretty well on the fillets caught 5 Blues in about 1hr 1/2. The only problem was the Drum seem to really like them too and I could'nt keep them away from my hook. I only had one good hit on the whole fish but it was a very very good hit...I cant remember who wrote the post but thanks. Bighead are easy to come by these day's. Still dont think I'll give up on my shad though...Good luck everyone

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    were are u fishing , were i once fished is now ovr rune by them asian carp i ws just wandering if its afecte the fishing were ur at

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't know much about those carp for bait or the fishing on the river but wanted to welcome you to the BOC and I hope you enjoy your stay and learn tons of information to make you a better fisherman and maybe even help you with your Personal Best...Lots of luck to ya friend...:cool2:

4. blzfan1963

blzfan1963 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was fishing south of the Parkinglot at the Lewis and Clark memorial in the canal off of rt3. They dredged it out last year so there arent as many snags. The only problem fishing in the canal is there are alot of Drum..

5. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    welcome aboard the BOC is the one stop shop for all your catfishing questions and more

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, Glad you are a member. You have came to the best place for help and info on the web. Great people here.
    Welcome
    Bill

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hi nice to meet ya, and HEY I know where that is, LOL, you hitting them from the bank?? or run up in boat? :wink:

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I have fished the canal before and have done pretty well. Have you been fishing the Chain of Rocks lately. I only bank fish and was wondering if you are bank or boat fishing. Good luck.

9. blzfan1963

blzfan1963 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I bank fish...The only problem at that location are the Men that are out there for reasons other than the outdoors. But normally they leave you alone when they see your fishing.... as to the other question Yes I do fish chain of rocks but only when the river is down really low...Otherwise I loose too many riggs on the rocks....And thanks everyone for welcoming me never knew about this site just happened to stumble across it....Already getting some good tips from members....

10. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    welcome to the boc, i have heard of some fishermen using bigheads for bait and having some success, i think it has to do with what is available for the caifish for food if the shad & bighead are the only thing around to eat then most likely the catfish will feed on them, but if the mooneye & skips are around then i'd be using them but sometimes it doesn't matter what u use. try using combo shad & bighead.

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC.. I fished the canal last year and all I got was drum.. I wished it was open all nite.. The cats are probably in there after dark..

12. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Interesting that you are talking the Cats into eating Bigheads.. I know a big guy can and will eat just about anything that manages to wonder by when he is in the mood.
    BUT; this is the first time I heard about guys using them for bait..
    Talked to some that have been using Buffalo Bellies as they called them .. Scaled and stripped left overs from Bowfishing outings. On limblines and trot lines mostly.

Are you guys stripping your fish in to bait sized chunks, or Just concentration on Eatin sized ones or making cut bait out of Big fish?

And How ya catching them..?
    Watched a couple fellas drag some .. (serveral ) out from behind the spillway at carlyle.. Not sure of the "Bait" but the Hooks were real big. LOL

R Green

Duckpoor

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    They don't seem to be as abundant this year around KC, so it's harder to get them to jump in the boat. Some of the guys are getting pretty good at netting them, so that's how we've got the majority this year.

I'm not sure I've even seen one smaller than 10-15lbs, but the bigger the better. 20-35lbers, and filet the meat off. Big chunks or long strips are how we fish them.

14. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I usually catch them in my throw net when i'm trying to catch bait, I don't use anything large I only keep the small ones and kill the large ones. seems like i always catch them in the same place you would catch shad sometimes shallow, sometimes deep but not much current.

15. kingkatt 2

kingkatt 2 New Member

State:
    illnois
    i've been using bighead fillets all year they work very well.

16. midnightblues

midnightblues New Member

State:
    illionis
    yea i have used bighead before i just throw them on whole and a live never caught any big ones.. but i have had some crazy hits though.. i love my skipjack.. and the spot u are fishing i usally follow the rock road and fish in the canal at the end of the road i caught a 42 pounder there about a month ago its a great spot for 30 pounders..