Bighead carp a bane but a slim silver lining

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welder, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The bigghead carp have invaded our rivers but I seen a sign of hope this past spring. The native catfish in the Gasconade area of the Mo river have started feeding on them hard. Not to mention the whitebass love em. I have many pics of nice fish most caught on live biggheads or (cutbait-bigghead) on the Mo river. They are here to stay. Now when I net bait the shad and native fish go back the bigheads stay. We can wage war on em, use em for bait in waters where they are. Flatheads love em up to 12 inchs long and blues like them to. Mabe they will fuel a fish growth in our cats . As they are strangers here with lil protection from our native catfish other than size when they get to big for forage. I just hope they stablize and dont overtake our rivers. I dont need bruised ribs from a 40lb carp again. Please put meaningful input on what you have seen on the river and check stomach contents of your cats. I look forward to hearing comments from others

2. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm glad we don't have them down in this part of the state. I wish you guys all the luck in the world in getting rid of them. What a pain.

3. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thats what it is they are in every stream creek river in this area .we use for bait and snag for fun buttttt they need to go what are the lonngterm efffects

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We use silver carp, the ones that jump in the boats, for cut bait with good results. The problem is, in many hundreds of throws of the cast net, I've never caught one small enough to use for live bait. In fact, catching one under 10lbs is unusual, maybe it's different in other areas. The concern we usually have is that the introduced carp will out compete the shad for food, yet quickly grow to a size that keeps them safe from the catfish.

Regarding stomach contents, I don't keep fish from the river, so I dunno. I've seen a couple of them puke up dead shad, but not carp, at least not yet.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's weird, but on the MO almost the only Asian carp we see are like Gary said, 10# and bigger. The few times I've been over to St. Louis on the Mississippi I caught lots of smaller ones in the cast net (12" or so). Even saw a lot of the smaller ones jumping.

6. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i seem to get alot of the small ones in smaller water areas like on the chariton and smaller rivers and creeks, especially creeks that back up to lake spillways lots of small asians

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Be careful boys most places it's illegal to transport them alive in your livewell or bait bucket. They encourage you to use them as cut bait however.Throw 'em on ice and it's ok.If we're gonna have 'em I want a shotgun season on them. In Illinois where they have them really bad they shoot them in the air with bows but that's too hard.Now let me use my Benelli on 'em and I'll massacre them.If I can hit 24 out of 25 ritz crackers I guarantee I could slaughter the asians.You could go through a case of shotgun shells in a couple of hours.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Used to see a lot of bighead carp in the bottoms in the ditches and around sunshine lake abround Orrick and Richmond. Now dont see many bighead any more but the silver carp have really taken over. I would like to see them dissapear in the rivers. Have cought quite a few blues on the silver carp as cut bait.

Tom

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I can understand the carp, but why slaughter perfectly good crackers? :confused2:

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It is most definitely illegal to use bighead or silver carp as live bait anywhere in Missouri, even on the Missouri or Mississippi River or other waters where they're currently invading.

The reason for the law is quite sound: Without it, some idiot with a bunch of live bigheads at the end of a fishing trip will end up releasing those damned things in Lake of the Ozarks or Truman or one of the other reservoirs in Missouri and it'll be no time at all before the fishery and the recreation value of the reservoir is completely destroyed.

Use them as dead bait, use them as cut bait, throw them up on the bank if want.

Just don't use them alive.

I feel sorry for the guy who gets checked by the MDC and has a few dozen baby bigheads in his livewell... That'll get real expensive, real quick.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree the Missouri law is good. So far, Kansas has put white perch on it's "prohibited species" list, but you are still free to use bighead and silver carp as live bait in state waters.

12. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I catch them alot in late summer in a drainage ditch by wellington,most are about six to eight inches long.

13. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Anyone ever caught one on rod and reel? Just curious.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The first one I every saw was caught by a buddy on a crappie jig. It was a pretty good fight on 4lb line. That's the only one I've ever seen caught that way.

15. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Catch plenty on the sippy less than 6".

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I usually throw them on ice straight into the bait cooler but have been known to keep them swimming in the livewell so thay are extra fresh when I cut them up.

I didn't know they couldn't be alive in your boat, I just thought you could not introduce them back into the water alive, on a hook or otherwise.

Guess I'll kill them all imediately now by throwing them on ice. That tip might have saved me some bucks down the road. Time to review the statutes for me.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    To be clear, the reg simply says you can't use bighead carp or silver carp as live bait. Nothing more and nothing less.

So maybe you won't get a ticket just for having a bunch of them doing laps in your livewell. But I bet you'll get to spend a lot more time answering questions from the agent...:eek:oooh:

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    here goes marty again :smile2::smile2::smile2:

hes so entertaining like Barney off of the ANDY TAYLOR SHOW .

he has the gun just no bullets in the cylinders . ANDY keeps them in his front pocket :wink:

thanks for the info marty .

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks, Scotty.

We always count on you for useful and insightful posts that are certain to be valued by everyone on the BOC.

Plus, you spelled most of the words right this time, good going.

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    why ty marty how sweet of you

I wasnt the teachers pet like im sure you was tattle tailing on the ones having fun and making friends :wink: any one that has the MDC on speed dial on his cell phone sure has others in his best interest that again is so thoughtfull of ya :wink::wink:

must be a real joy to get out in the outdoors and worry about what every body else is doing , now thats relaxing at its best ..

If ya ever want to go camping give me a ring Ill show a good time in the ozarks !!!:smile2::wink::smile2: