Biggest Impact

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smitty1963, Aug 12, 2008.

Who had the biggest impact on your life????

1. Dad

2. Grandpa

3. Mom

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would have to say that my Dad had the biggest impact on my my life because he taught me so much about life though hunting and fishing

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i would have to say mom she always stood by me and tawt me right from rong

3. catfish75

catfish75 New Member

State:
    ga
    :big_smile:my mom started me fishing when i was 2-years old. I'm almost 16 now. I have been lucky that i live on a private 18-acre lake. She's going to take me deer hunting, 1st time for both of us. hope she doesn't get kicked out of a tree stand w/her 30-30.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My grandpa and grandma raised me from when I was 3 years old.

I remember little from before my parents got the divorce that landed me there with my fathers mom and dad...but I'm certain that I was in a better place for it.

My grandfather was a big time farmer here in se Kansas in the 70's and 80's...in cahoots with my great uncle and his sons.

My great grandma had possession of well over 1000 acres of prime river bottom timber along the Neosho river...we farmed this ground...plus thousands more that they leased. And us boys hunted and fished it all.

My grandpa had me catching fish at 5 years old...shooting quail, ducks, and deer by 7 years...and driving graintrucks, tractors, and combines by 8 years old.

He taught me everything I know in a most patient, loving, and productive way. The way only a grandfather can do.

I only hope I can do as good a job with my own grandchildren as he did with his.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice thread. Glad to see you back again. Will put something down when in the mood. Later John.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It was my mom and dad together. I got a little of both in me. My wife has a lttle of both of her parents in her. Our kids have a little of both of us in them. Now we're raising my granddaughter, or trying to.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have 4 girls at home...3 of which are enamored by the world of myspace...cell phones...instant messenger...and hanging out up town at the bowling alley. (Which caters to tweens and teens with pop and rap music...laser lights...and video games)

My 8 year old baby still wants to shoot pool with me in the garage...fish for crappie with minnows...help me run my perch traps in the canoe...seine for crawdads...gaze at the moon and stars with one of her two telescopes...and she does LOVE to find arrowheads and fossils. (She's a MAJOR rock hound!!)

I spend as much time with her as possible and encourage her interests in hopes that she will see through the plastic world of most kids her age these days.

She's a throwback that reminds me of the quality of the days that I grew up in without all these distractions that kids these days face.

She also gives me hope that perhaps there will be a few out there like her who will slip through the cracks of what has become the way kids are today.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    the vote goes for my Dad. God Bless Him. he taught me how to fish and hunt at an early age. I used to live on a farm and he showed me the ways of farming and working. learning good honest values! my mom comes in a close second!

Nice thread and thanks!!
    Mark..

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love my daddy( 80 in Oct) but lord how i miss my momma. Daddy always worked which i understand, but i learned to fish an hunt from momma. She gave me time she didn't have and always looked on the bright side of life.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My Dad was a big unfluence while I was growing up. At age 3 I was fishing. I remember my first fishing trip to the river we had to walk 1 mile to get to the fishing hole. He is 78 this year and has had 2 strokes, so our fishing days are over, but I had many good ones with him. The last time I fished with he caught a 42 lb blue, and we boated over 400 lbs of fish that night.

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would say my Mother and Father both played important roles in my upbringing.

12. SweetSymphony672

SweetSymphony672 New Member

State:
    England
    I'd have to say both my mum and dad in this poll
    I've always said I had the outside of my mum and the inside of my dad, my mum has helped me with the serious issues in life and my dad had given me the ability to show my humourous side, the ability to be sociable and I'm a trustworthy person

Thanks Dad :big_smile:

13. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    My uncle had the biggest impact on my life. He was my father figure because my dad was'nt around. I basically followed in his foot steps both good and bad. He partied when he was young so so did I. He joined the Army as a young adult and so did I. He was always the clown and so am I. :wink:

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    This thread got me thinking about something , isn`t it funny how your mom can make you cry and your dad can make you feel like a sissy for doing it. LOL !!!

15. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I voted other because my parents AND grandparents had a huge impact on my life. But I also had several teachers ALL THROUGHOUT MY SCHOOL YEARS who impacted my life as well.

16. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Dude, that was funny...but OHHHHHHHH SO TRUE!!! I never had that problem, I guess 'cause I'm female, but I did see that happen, to some extent, with my adopted brother.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I voted other.

For it would without a doubt, be my loving wife of 52 years.

I had a great mother and dad but sorry to say my dad was not a good role model. I was on my own at 16.

My grandparents had been gone for years when I came along.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have been very blessed to be raised in a very large family. All of my uncles and aunts had a hand in raising me. If I was messing up, they all whooped my butt along with my mom!:roll_eyes: While I draw alot of strength and inspiration from my mom, I believe that in order for a boy to one day become a man, he needs to see an example of one. All my uncles to this date still look to my grandfather for that example and so do I.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Father of course, a pinnacle in my life. Something I only appreciate now that he is dead. Isn't that often the case. Like Flatheadhunter said above, a man around to look up to, the example that men should be.

My Father taught me how not to plow a field, how not to hunt, how not to treat a firearm, how not to treat a man, and he set examples everyday for me on how not to be. Of course that left only how to be, and he showed me everyday the right way to do it. But just being a man isn't everything. I have always been around a lot of men. They are the only ones I will tolerate being around me. So as much as I loved my Father I couldn't put him above my Mother. Equal perhaps, but in my estimation Ma is just a little higher.

The reason being is that my Mother taught me and four other kids how to think. Day after day, year after year, "If you want to make something of yourself you have to know how to think." she would say. And in order to think you had to have knowledge, an education. Never be satisfied that that is the last page in that book, go find another book. Look more closely at that flower or tree or building. Think about what it is beyond what you see. How does it live, how does it function, how does it fit in the scheme of things. Many things more I will put down elsewhere in this forum, but my Ma is my poll vote.

John.

20. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I voted other because they all three made a big impact on my life. My father taught me almost ever thing I know about fishing. My mother put through sports cause she was an athlete herself. My grandfather who now looks over my shoulder every day and keeps me safe:cry: taught me everything about hunting and gun saftey. God bless them all for the good that it has done for me in my lifetime thus far.