Biggest Flathead you have ever caught in Kansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by AndyW, Apr 17, 2012.

1. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 Well-Known Member

State:
    Spring Hill ,KS
    Name:
    Shelby
    Congrats, I would take that any day!!! River?? My biggest flat was only 39lbs so heck ya!!

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Thats a dandy, congrats

3. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, caught it on the Kaw. I've been telling everyone who asks that I caught it between the North and South bank, not getting more specific than that.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations.

4. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Great fish Heath!

Was the one you lost bigger ya think?

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I never saw the head or body of the fish. I could see the weight, swivel, and the tip of the tail alongside the boat right before he broke off. After he escaped I measured that distance and I think the other fish was several inches longer. When a flathead gets over 50" the pounds can add up pretty quick. I think the other fish was close to 60" long, and would give him the potential to be considerably bigger than this one. Unless I catch one packing 1/2 a leader and a 10/0 King Kahle from that area I'll never know for sure. Judging by the power he had and the length I think he was bigger. I'm not sure if it is better or worse that I didn't get a good look at him before he broke off, it was one sick feeling either way. The fish yesterday sure helped heal the wound though.

Aceoky likes this.
  6. Jimmy Rogers

Jimmy Rogers New Member

State:
    kansas
  7. hilljob

hilljob New Member

State:
    salina,ks
    i just got a 72lber this morning..holy crap

Attached Files:

mcseal2 and flathead50 like this.
  8. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congratulations, heck of a fish!

9. papacat

papacat Member

State:
    Woodward, OK
    Wow.. Mike that is a beast. Congrats on a great catch.

10. flathead50

flathead50 Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    Mark
    56# Verdigris River, 11" crappie for bait

AndyW likes this.
  11. AndyW

AndyW Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its been years since I've been on this forum. Its nice getting back on and reading the old threads. You tube and other social media sites have taken off even more than in 2012. Word gets around quick if anyone catches something big. That being said, anyone catch anything big since I last posted? I haven't targeted catfish very much in the last few years.

Lost-River-Jones and Catpaw like this.
  12. Mosquito Creek Crawler

Mosquito Creek Crawler Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    When I was a young lad back around 83, I spent amount a month one spring w/a retired family friend couple who had a small house at Jacobs Creek landing. We fished the Neosho River that fed into John Redmond reservoir. Caught big Flatty's in the river and Channels in the flats at the upper end of the lake. First time I ever trotlined and learned the craft. My friend did not rod fish at all. We used leeches, crawfish and any other kind of bait fish we could seine. The Flats were probably in the 50-60 lb range, but I know he caught 80+ lber's in the past. He's long gone and the river got log jammed up. We love to go down there again someday if the river ever clears up.

AndyW and Lost-River-Jones like this.
  13. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I caught a 50# in May from a small City lake

14. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    john
    Many years ago, in my late 20's I caught a flathead that weighed 60 (trotline). Head was as big as a scoop shovel. About 10 years later, while wading on the counter dam at Toronto I caught one on rod and reel that weight 43....the next week at the same place I caught one that weighed 47. Haven't caught one over 20 lbs since.....lol