Biggest Flathead you have ever caught in Kansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by AndyW, Apr 17, 2012.

1. AndyW

AndyW Member

State:
    Kansas
    What is the biggest flathead, or other species of catfish I guess, that you have ever caught in Kansas? Where was it caught? What time of day,seasone, etc? What were you using for bait? Anyone know of any confirmed reports of one over 100# besides the world record out of Elk City Lake?

2. BDC2

BDC2 Guest

The electrishock fish out of eldorado last summer is the biggest Kansas flathead pic I've seen. Estimated at a conservative 80......wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing a hundred.

TonyInLawrenceKS likes this.

3. bluebasser86

bluebasser86 Active Member

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    Caught a 50lb flathead out of a little residential lake in kansas city several years ago. Wish I could still fish that little lake, it had more flatheads in it that I've ever seen in any other lake. Also caught a 35 1/2 pound channel cat out of the same lake that would have beat the state record at the time but was more worried about getting the fish turned loose than having a record.

4. riverbottomnightmare

riverbottomnightmare New Member

State:
    Des Moines, Iow
    35# channel wowsa! I would take a 35# channel over a 60# flat any day.

5. AndyW

AndyW Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep, a 30+ pound channel is probably a lot rarer than a 60# flathead. My personal best flathead was like 28 inches long. I don't know how much he would have weighed. Didn't have a scale and I wanted to release him. caught him on a 4 or 5" perch on a bankline. I've never caught one on rod and reel.

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Active Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Name:
    Robert
    Back in 2000, I flew to Kansas to fish the Kaw with Gary Van Pielt. We put in at Eudora and fished west for two nights. Caught lots of blues (to 25 pounds) and flatheads (to 55 pounds). Caught them on set lines baited with goldfish. This was in early October with the air temperature getting down to low 30's at night and the water temperature was 52 degrees. Fun trip.

7. bluebasser86

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    That would be a cool trip. That mans forgotten more about catfish in the river than I'll ever know.

8. dsmyl

dsmyl New Member

State:
    ks
    The fish in my avatar: 55 lbs in the Kansas River

9. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Active Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Name:
    Robert
    He definitely knew how to set lines. Gary passed away a year or two ago.

10. myriver

myriver New Member

State:
    kansas
    friend of mine caught this one last year (tom finch)biggest one i have seen for a long time

Attached Files:

TonyInLawrenceKS and VanKley like this.
  11. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    The one in my avatar is my best fish, a 62lb flathead from the KS river in 2010. In 2009 I caught a 60lb flat, last year the biggest was 35lbs. The river was to high to fish some of my favorite spots last year until later when we were haying and my fishing time was limited.

12. Catman66086

Catman66086 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Jason
    I caught a 60 lb flattie below Bowersock in 2003. It was the biggest fish I've ever caught on rod & reel. We had a polaroid of the fish that has since been lost. All my fishing photos now go to my computer and onto a zip file by year.

TonyInLawrenceKS and Mermaid84 like this.
  13. bluebasser86

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    It was one of the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught. I really thought I had a monster flathead because it took so long to get it in but it was swimming way faster than flats usually do. I'll have to find the picture of it. I'm not from Missouri but I know if anyone told me they'd caught a 35lb channel I'd want them to show me :biggrin1:

14. BigDaddyJD

BigDaddyJD New Member

State:
    KS
    minneapolis kansas, solomon river. didnt weigh him but we thought at least 50lbs. my biggest yet, cant wait to catch some more this size.

Attached Files:

15. bigd4xman

bigd4xman Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Biggest I have ever caught was 76lbs out of the Verdigris river using a limb line and bluegill. Other than that I have seen old newspaper clippings with photos of fish also from the verdigris river weighing in at 200+ but that is from back before they dammed it in for flood control, apparently also before they kept track of "world records".

16. AndyW

AndyW Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did you just catch this fish?

17. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I need to update mine, caught a 70lb flat today. Also caught a 32lb flat. Released both.

Attached Files:

18. dsmyl

dsmyl New Member

State:
    ks
    Awesome Fish! Congrats!

19. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, after losing a giant at boatside on the 25th it was GREAT to have a day like this. Nothing gets my blood going like a Booner class deer or flathead! Best part about the fish is that I can go after them again next year, when I succeed on a buck I have to locate and pattern a new one. I thought the cooler temp may slow things down but the rain must have offset the temp to keep things lively.

20. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Great fish. Congratulations!!!