BIGGEST FISH ON A( 209 )

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 26, 2010.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ***** WHAT IS THE BIGGEST FISH YOU EVER CAUGHT ON A 209 REEL ???*****

THERES A 99% CHANCE ILL BE BUYING ANOTHER 209 AS SOON AS MONEY TRANSFERS TO MY PAYPAL....

IF ANYONE KNOWS A REALLY GOOD REEL THAT COSTS UNDER $65 ON EBAY LET ME KNOW....

I LOVE THE 209 REELS.... I THINK A 309 IS TO BIG FOR ME.... ILL ALSO BE USING MY SETUP FOR STRIPER FISHING AND SUCH...(309 IS A BIT BIG FOR THAT)

ANY ADVICE IS WANTED.....

LeRoy

2. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Hey check out the Penn Roddy 175 got mine on ebay brand new for $35 plus shipping brand new in the box. It is a cheaper model but dude I swear I love it "ALMOST" as much as my 6500's Has bait clicker and is tough good gear ratio too. I have pulled in several 30# cats on it with ease never had any troubles out of it at all. Actually just spooled it up with 100# Tug-O-War braid. Worth looking at It's one tough reel and the price cant be beat had mine and fished it hard for 3 years now and still going strong and I fish EVERY weekend besides wintertime.

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    There's a guy on the classifieds that's got two Penn 109's for sale for $30 each. Kind of like a mini 209, they hold 275yds of 15lb mono. Good reels, perfect for stripers.

If you want big fish stories on 209's, why don't you try to search on some saltwater forums? Probably get more answers that way. That's where the BIG fish stories will be, unless you can find someone who uses them for sturgeon or alligator gar.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IM JUST LOOKING FOR MORE INFO ON WHAT THESE REELS CAN HANDLE ..... I THOUGHT ABOUT JUST IGNORING THE (MAX DRAG AT STRIKE ) RATING AND SETTING IT TO 15 LBS..... IM VERY SURE THE 309 WILL BE WAY TO BIG FOR A FISHERMAN LIKE ME SO IM STICKING TO THE 209...... LOOKING AT HOW HUGE THE SPOOL IS I DONT THINK THERE IS MUCH I COULD DO TO HURT THIS REL.... MY MAIN CONCERN IS SOMETHING CRACKING (SIDE PLATES) CASUE I WAS A DUMN TEENAGER AND OVER STRESSED THE REEL.....

SOMETHING IN MY GUTTTT IS TO HAVE A SETUP OF 15+ LBS DRAG..... I WENT AWAY FROM MY GUTT BY GETTING THE OKUMA XP PRO AND THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE.

THEY FEEL SOLID AS CAN BE BUT THEIR ALSO THE (NEWER) REELS.... PENN PEER IS THE REEL THAT HAS ALL THE CHIT CHAT.....

STILL CONNSIDERING A OKUMA CLASSIC 452L...(OPTIONS)

JUST GAINING INFO HERE GUYS....

LeRoy

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You aren't going to crack a side plate on a Penn unless you hit it with a hammer or drop it off the dam wall. Seriously, the reels are made to take abuse. The smaller Penn 109 was, if not still is, one of the most popular reels for certain salmon fishing techniques for quite a while. Tough work for a reel.

About the only other reels you still see in service after 50 years are Abu's, but, honestly (the Abu guys will fry me for this) they weren't getting used and abused like most Penn reels of the same age did.

This is a point that I'm going to make too, for all of the guys that think you need 10 bearings and super tight tolerances in a reel. The reels that are still around after 50 years of hard fishing are reels that either use bushings or have 1-2 bearings in them. One reason being that there are fewer or no bearings to corrode and lock-up the reel. How many people see the new "super duper I got 10 bearings" reels get trashed after not being serviced correctly or just destroyed by big fish? Sometimes a little looser tolerance in a mechanical device assures it's ability to take abuse that would destroy a precision instrument.

I am genuinely curious to see how many of todays wonder reels are still functional 50 years from now

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    the 209 will be fine, trust me. If I can get a 53LBer in on a 6500 you can do the same with the 209. Hell my prior PB of 62 was caught on a Penn Spinning combo and it handles the blue with no problems. That reel will last you for years to come

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    209's are rock solid.
    They are a great reel as long as you do not mind the extremely low gear ratio. I have 2 of them on my boat and keep them on the "Big Bait" rods. I have caught a 65lber on mine.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Haven't caught any big catfish on them, but have snagged and landed several paddlefish in the 70's on them. They are a tough reel and will last you forever. If something does break, it's cheap and simple enough to fix.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I HAD OVER 100$ TO BUY MY FIRST BAITCASTER.... PAYED $35 FOR AN OKUMA CL300L....

PLAYED WITH A BOWLING BALL THAT HAD A LOOP IN IT .(HIGHSCHOOL PRANK) AND TIED MY LINE TO IT... (IT WEIGHED 10 LBS)

BOWLING BALL DROPED AND ROLLED DOWN MY STEEP DRIVEWAY... HALF WAY DOWN.. LINE CAUGHT... DRAG WENT "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z z z z z z z z z z z z ......

DIDNT BREAK.... DIDNT NEED 10 BEARINGS.... STILL WORKS ......

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    no doubt penn makes a GREAT reel..OI hve 2 penn 309s and i snag with them..I have ogt HUGE spoon bill one up to 72 lbs and a chit load of HUGE carp!!!like in the 40s and 50s

11. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    LeRoy . I have a 209 on my flathead rod I plan on using for the first time this year. the other day i took it apart just to see its insides. i am very confident in it, from what I have seen. Lets keep each other updated on the abuse that we put our 209s through.

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SOUNDS FUN PALL..... I PLANNED THESE TO BE MORE THEN JUST FLATHEAD RIGS.... MORE LIKE ALL ROUND HEAVY COMBO ( THATS WHY ITS A 6 FT ROD )

WHAT KIND OF LINE IS THAT ????

LIKE LB AND TYPE ??

LeRoy

13. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    It is 80 lb dracon. Yesterday I was in the middle of my street casting it. It takes a heaver weight but I plan on useing live bait on this rod and reel. I was using a 3oz bell sinker and it casted great. Not real far but good enough for the waters i fish for flatheads. I hope to jerk a flatty out no problem with this line. I know the rod is stout enough.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  14. MedicMike

MedicMike New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Mine is a 24 lb striped bass off of Sandy Hook, NJ. I am in the tan hat in the attached picture.

If you are trolling on eBay, I would look for a Penn 210. It is the 209 plus the added benefit of ball bearings and a 4:1 gear ratio. I got one this winter and am wondering why I ever got a 209. I am actually writing Penn a letter asking why they haven't upgraded their levelwinds to have ball bearings.

Big Fish 2009-24 lb striper.jpg

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My biggest fish to date was caught on a 209. It was a 70+ lb. spoon bill against heavy current. These reels are like having a winch on a pole but their downfall is casting distance. My first big reel was this 209 and it would crank better than the abu 7000 guy's I fished with on the wall below the dams. The downfall was casting distance, the abu's would outcast the 209 bad. I finally through the guts out of this reel and upgraded to an abu 7000 and never looked back. As long as you aren't worried about distance casting then these reels are a really tough reel.