Biggest crappie you have caught fishing?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by r_bray89, Jan 14, 2006.

1. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    What is the biggest crappie that you have caught? What did you catch it on?

Mine was 10 in and it was caught on a minnow.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well one night a few years ago I got into a school of them and caught three from 10-14 inches! All on minnows in this small lake close to my house.:)

3. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    A few years ago a had a 15 crappie on.

4. catfish jim

catfish jim New Member

State:
    mo
    i cought a 4lb out of a farm pond in ill

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a 17 inch, 2lb 'er. caught while ice fishing. barely got it through the hole.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I caught a few in the two pound range and seen several in the four pound range.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Here's a photo of one of the Crappies that I caught last year --- I got most of mine on Minnows --- Last year was the first time that I caught some in a long time.:)

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

Attached Files:

8. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Bert i notice'd in your crappie picture a pumping canal.Do you fish the canal?And where do they get the water out of. Lake .River. or under ground:0a22:

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    No --- I fish on the other side of that, in the main body of water of the Ca. Delta. --- The water that you see in the background, is just a small pumping canal leading to some farm land. --- It's only about 6" deep. There's alot of them on the private land that I do most of my fishing on. :)

The Channel in my Avatar photo (21 lbs.) the Bass (in the photo below) & The Crappie, all came from that same area.
    :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

Attached Files:

10. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    ive got 2 black crappie on my wall one is 18" and weighed just a tad over 3lbs and i also have a 17.5" black crappie that was around 2.5 lbs.i guess those are my 2 biggest ive caught sevral in the 2 lb range. if i remember correctly the 18" was caught on a tube jig and cork and the other one was caught on a minnow.....ive got pics of em somewhere ill post em when i can find em.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Oh and just about all my crappie are caught on minnows but I do use jigs sometimes.

I think my next fishing trip will be for crappie because my buddy wants to catch some.

12. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    yah all of my crappie have been caught on live bait(minnows and chad). but the next time we go im gonna use a crappie jig my uncle has hope it works

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have caught a few between 3 and 4 lbs and I am pretty sure our next state record (4.8 lbs., I think) is in my favorite fishing hole!

14. fishn_maniac

fishn_maniac New Member

State:
    Al
    My biggest was about 1lb and a half, it was a really nice day.Me and my cousin caught around 80 that day together.We used chartreuse tubes and grubs.It was very FUN!!!!:)

15. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    i heard that grasshopers work but never tried them before and will hopefully use some this summer in our crappie nest and would like to work a jig in every once in a while to get the feel

16. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    thats good to know
    where were the corn fields that you walked

17. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    when you catch the grasshoper do you ever put them on the hooks ?
    and do you sink the sock or you use it just for storage

18. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    thanks for the advise and do the grasshopppers move around a lot once they are in the water and the sock thing is a very helpful tip thx

19. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    aright thanks for the great advise timotha7 and will try it out soon and then let you know how it worked for me

20. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Last year I caught a 18" on minnow, I don't know the weight but sure made some big fillets. Here in Central Texas the crappie run from mid December till about 2nd week of February. I use Road Runners in white and yellow either marabou or twister tails and sometimes I'll use minnows on a Road Runner jig.
    Your allowed 25 per day and a 10" min. in size, which isn't to heard as I've caught many over 15". It's a $125.00 fine if their under the 10" size though.