BIGGEST CHANNEL CATFISH SO FAR FROM PAINT CREEK

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio hilljack, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    THIS WEEKEND DIDN'T START OUT SO GOOD. MY WIFE HAD DECIDED THAT I'VE BEEN DOING TOO MUCH FISHING AND SHOULD STAY HOME AND PLAY CARDS LIKE I USED TO BEFORE THE BOC. FOR YEARS I'VE PLAYED CARDS ON SATURDAY NIGHT BUT THIS YEAR I'VE FISHED EVERY SATURDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOR THE ENTIRE SUMMER. LIKE THE GOOD HUSBAND I AM I AGREED TO STAY HOME AND SOMEHOW FOUGHT OFF THE THE SHAKES OF WITHDRAWL THROUGH A ENTIRE EVENING. THE SHAKES I HAD THIS MORNING WERE JUST ABOUT TO DRIVE ME CRAZY, NOT A LONG TRIP. WENT TO MOMS DRANK SOME COFFEE SHOT THE BULL, WALKED OVER TO THE NEIGHBORS AND HE GAVE ME THE CURE. HE WOULD SURE LIKE TO HAVE A FISH FRY. WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY MY WIFE LIKES THE NEIGHBORS ALOT MORE THAN SHE LIKES ME AND AGREED THAT AS SOON AS MY WEEKEND CHORES WERE DONE I SHOULD GO AND TRY TO CATCH SOME FISH FOR THE NEIGHBORS. WELL I WHINED AROUND FOR AWHILE TO MAKE SURE THAT SHE KNEW IT WAS HER IDEA AND I WOULD NOT PAY FOR IT LATER, THEN RAN BACK HOOKED UP THE BOAT AND CALLED DREW,FLEW OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY BEFORE SHE CHANGED HER MIND. WE USUALLY DON'T GO CATFISHING AT NOON BUT THOUGHT IT WOULD GIVE US A CHANCE TO SEEK OUT SOME NEW HOLES . FORSAKING OUR NORMAL HOLES WE HEADED TO THE OTHER END OF THE LAKE AND CAST THE NET IN THE CHANNEL BESIDE THE BEACH AND STARTED DRIFTING THE SAME COVE. THOUGH THE WIND KEPT US OFF COURSE MOST OF THE TIME WE ENDED UP WITH SIX SMALLER CATS IN THE FIRST HALF HOUR, NOT A BAD START. TURNED AROUND AND DRIFTED THE ENTIRE BANK UP TO THE DAM HAD SIX MORE, A EVEN DOZEN IN A HOUR AND A HALF. CRUIZED TO THE OTHER SIDE AND STARTED BACK UP INTO THE WIND AND HIT TWO MORE THEN THE TROLLING MOTOR GOT SO LOW ON JUICE THAT WE COULDN'T MAKE ANY HEADWAY INTO THE WIND. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT LITTLE FAIRY THATS SUPPOSED TO PLUG IN THE CHARGER. STARTED THE MOTOR AND LET OUT THE LINES AS FAR AS WE DARED AND FIRED UP THE BOAT MOTOR ,PUT OUR NOSE INTO THE WIND AND STARTED UP THE LAKE. HADN'T WENT TWO HUNDRED YARDS AND THE POLE RIGHT BEHIND ME WENT CLEAR DOWN TO THE WATER. SUCKER LAYED ON THE BOTTOM AND LIKE TO NEVER GOT HIM TO THE SURFACE. I REALLY THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO BE A FLAT. GOT HIM UP AND HE WAS TWELVE POUNDS AND SIX OUNCES. THAT IS THE BIGGEST CHANNEL I'VE EVER CAUGHT FROM PAINT CREEK LAKE. BEFORE THE DAY WAS OVER WE CAUGHT ANOTHER THAT WAS SEVEN AND A HALF POUNDS,AND ENDED UP WITH THIRTY SEVEN CHANNELS. THAT IS ALSO THE MOST FISH WE HAVE CAUGHT IN ONE DAY FROM THIS LAKE. SO WHAT STARTED OUT AS A BAD WEEKEND ENDED UP BEING ONE OF MY BEST..

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That sounds quite an exceptional day, Congrats on the trip! I can't imagine the way Drew (does he have an account?) was jumping around the boat. Many good trips to come!

and to think we used to put up the fishing poles this time of year!

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrats on a good weekend

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Glad you had a great weekend!

5. grandpa7

grandpa7 New Member

State:
    alabama
    reps to you for making mama happy. helps to keep your hiney out of future "can't go fishing" . sounds like a very good afternoon of pure catfishing enjoyment.

6. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catch!!!

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I so understand the Wife's ultimatum. I think my wife is sick of it, too... she thinks I'm obsessed!!:tounge_out:

well guys if we do our duty- don't we deserve to spend our free time, doing what we want to do?.. don't tell my wife I said this:roll_eyes:

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey man that is awesome. congrats on your best channel. i know how it goes with the wife not wanting you to fish as much. i used to fish everyday before the wife and kids, now im lucky to get out once in two weeks. so when i go i make it worthwhile. and it definately seems you and your friend made your day worthwhile. once again congrats on a great day

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willie Thanks for sharing your exciting weekend with us. Congrats on all the fish you caught. WTG.

10. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Looked like you guys had a good time. Great job on all those cats.Changing it up a little works.

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats!!

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the big fish! Sounds like you had a heck of a trip!

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats.got ahold of a couple of nice channels.

14. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man- What a great trip-those are Dillon Lake(Zanesville,O)type numbers.You guys get time give Dillon a try.Good fishing and be safe.

15. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    WE ARE GETTING READY TO START TRAVELING AROUND ALITTLE WHEN THEY START LOWERING THE RESERVOIRS. HOW FAR IS DILLON FROM CHILLICOTHE.

16. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    WE ARE DOING PAINT CREEK AGAIN TOMORROW NIGHT. WE ABOUT ALWAYS FISH SOMEWHERE ON WEDNESDAY NIGHTS, WE CALL IT CATFISH WEDNESDAY. GIVES US SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK, BEFORE WE GET TO OUR TRIP ON SATURDAY OR SUNDAY. QUITE TRUTHFULLY SEVEN DAYS WITHOUT FISHING IS WAY TOO LONG, AND IT REALLY ISN'T ALL THAT DIFFICULT TO GO TO WORK ON THURSDAY WITH JUST A COUPLE HOURS SLEEP, IF YOU MISS THE SLEEP DOING SOMETHING YOU LOVE. IT'S KINDA LIKE THE WAY YOU USED TO STAY UP ALL NIGHT WHEN YOU FIRST GOT MARRIED.

17. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio

18. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    WELL LAST NIGHT I LOST ALOT OF SLEEP FOR VERY FEW FISH. CAUGHT FOUR THE BIGGEST WAS TWO OUNCES SHORT OF EIGHT POUNDS. HARD FOR US TO HANDLE AS WE HAVE BEEN CATCHING SO MANY AS OF LATE. IT WASN'T A BAD NIGHT JUST A LITTLE DISSPOINTING WHEN COMPARED TO OTHERS. THE WEATHER WAS CONSIDERABLY DIFFERENT, FOURTY AND MISTING RAIN MOST OF THE NIGHT, YES WE FELT LIKE POPSICKLES, BUT WE ARE PREPARING OURSELVES FOR THE REALLY COLD MONTHS AHEAD. PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE PULLED UP AND FISHED THE HOLES WHERE WE ACTUALLY DID CATCH A FISH OR TWO TO SEE IF THEY WERE SCHOOLING IN A LESS SCATTERED PATTERN THAN BEFORE BUT WE DIDN'T.HINDSIGHT IS EASY LAST NIGHT WE FIGURED JUST KEEP ON KEEPING ON AND YOU WILL HIT THEM EVENTUALLY,NEVER HAPPENED. THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT NOT TRYING A ALTERNATIVE METHOD IS WE DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HAVE WORKED OR NOT, JUST SO WE WOULD HAVE A CLUE NEXT TIME THE BITE IS SLOW. I'D BE HAPPY TO HEAR ANY INPUT ON WHY ANYBODY THINKS THE BITE WAS SO SLOW LAST NIGHT..

19. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Sounds like a good time thanks for sharing!

20. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sounds fun!!!