Biggest catfish side by side on a line?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Vector, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :crazy: Okay.....I'll play a little......this is my first thread to start.

When running a trotline, what is the biggest two cats you've had side by side on the line?

Last year, I had a HECK of a tug on the middle of my trot. I pulled the weight off the bottom, and then things REALLY came alive! The hook past the weight held a 49 pound flat, and the hook right next to it.....7 feet away......held a 52 pound flat! :eek:oooh:

I always thought flats were pretty solitary animals, but they sure were not that night! :eek:oooh:

Vector

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You got me beat. I've had 20 and 25 pounders side by side. I've had 4 over 20# on a line at a time...blues.

I think with flats...they are more solitary, but will feed in common areas, and also my use "corridors" on the bottom like a path of sorts. They may not have been hanging out together, but may have just traveled the same route...or were just utilizing a common food source around the same time.

Welcome to the BOC!

3. spencerg

spencerg New Member

State:
    oglesby texas
    this past weekend we had 2 30# on hooks 3ft. from each other. we also caught a blue and a flat on the same line at the same time.

4. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :smile2: Cool stories guys! To have 4 nice ones on one line like that would be awesome!

My best on a line was that 49 and 52 with 3 or 4 channels.....like 12 hooks......my second best on one line was right beside that, a 30 and a 50 and I think 2 channels with 8ish hooks. :smile2: It was a GOOD morning. Never seen anything like it before.

Vector

5. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :tounge_out: Durn! No one else want to play? I thought this may stir up some fun stories. :confused2:

Vector

6. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you guys would of posted eaters we would all be posting but all of you twin 20's plus kind of blew us minnow, 3-5 lbers, fisherman out of the water.:smile2:

7. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    :smile2:
    up here in ohio, them line story would make for one h !!! of a day :wink:

8. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :smile2: Okay.....I get cha.......ease into the water SLOW-LIKE next time! :wink:

Funny thing is, I can't consistently catch them eaters.....channels I mean. I don't think I hold my mouth right. :confused2:

Vector

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    last year we put out a line in the river when it flowing really good. We had 20 hooks and pulled out 14 blue cats off of that one line. All between 8-14lbs
    It was good line in a great spot.
    As a kid i remember having 2 flats on a line in the Bosque river, they were side by side. One was like 20 the other close to 30lbs.
    On a jug last year we had a 22lb blue and 28lb blue
    Also summer of 07 we put out a line for channel cats, baited with 5" perch in 3-8' of water. while we were baiting the line, the first and third hooks got fish, both channels both 6lbs.

10. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    I cant prove it so I wont tell my story but it involved 2 big fish and a broken hook.:wink:

11. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :smile2: Ah come on! I'm here for the stories, not the proof! I have not seen anyone post a proving picture to this thread yet, so there's no need to start, and no need to not tell a good story! :smile2:

Vector

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea, for real guys, there's an art to that storytelling!

You got me beat, for sure. We caughrt a 50 lber and a 24 lber last spring but they weren't side by side.

14 blues in one lick ain't bad either.

13. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    Alright, here it goes. I was fishing with a guy who knows how to catch flatheads and we set 4 lines baited with warmouth something like a bluegill with a bigger mouth. Anyway he said if we fished 3 days we would catch a big one. The first 2 days we caught several in the 10 to 15 lb range. On the 3rd day while running the 4th and last line I asked if I could pull this one up. He agreed and I started pulling and I told him something was pulling out there and I kept on going. I told him again something was pulling pretty good and he said I know, look at that boil in the water out there. He said to give him the line and get the net. Anyway when we got to the 1st one and got it in he said to hurry and unhook it so we could get the other one. Anyway the 1st weighed 68 lb and the next hook was broke and the next hook had a 32 lb. I told him that was the biggest catfish I ever saw and he said it was the biggest he has ever seen too. Said he has caught several 30 to 40 lb range. I can back up this with a film picture and I have a few of them. If anyone wants to see one I will gladly mail it to you if you promise to mail it back to me. Just pm me with your address.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    that's ok, i believe you Skip. Thanks for sharing.

15. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :crazy: No reason for me to not believe! That's a great story! Never caught a flat anywhere near that big. If you wanted to send me the pictures, I could scan them and put them on here and then mail the hard copy pictures back to you too. I don't know if that's what you want to do, but the offer is there. Wouldn't cost me anything but a stamp to send them back to you!

I do have one more story since you brought this up too. It made me remember. I had a broken dropper last year on one of my lines.....my first ever, 130 pound test. I had a 25 pounder on the next drop over from that. My droppers are loops.....so I don't know if a fish broke the line, or my knot, or what. Always makes you wonder......'what if'. :wink:

Vector

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I've had a few broken hooks, and catfish slime 3 or 4 feet up the main line both ways. Makes ya wonder, don't it? Gives ya hope too, in a way. Never had a broken drop line, though. If I had that happen, I would return with a frickin' harpoon! We were jugging one night, and were just sitting there watching the jugs (oil cans with 150# braided snagging line), and one shot under water. A couple seconds later, it shot back up out of the water. When we retrieved it, the line was snapped in the middle. We chalked it up to a bad piece of line, but was still probably a pretty good fish.

17. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :smile2: Awe man! Good stuff!

I'm figuring that line just got lodged in those ol' sandpaper teeth and gave out sometime in the night. I think there was too much gum in the main line for it to straight-BREAK under strength.

It still turns my stomach thinking about 'who' swam away!

Vector

18. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2 times its happend on the MO river. First time 30 hook line 12 blues smallest was 20lb the biggest was 62lb let the 2 biggest the 62lb and the 50lb go. Was dressen fish for 2 hrs.

The other time last spring same 30 hook line dif spot on the Mo river. 10 blues smallest was 31lb the biggest was 53lb. Kept the 3 smallest turned the others back.

2 years ago my lady with a 15 hook line got a 54lb flat and a 32lb side by side.:smile2::smile2::smile2:
    Some times ya just get lucky

19. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    Hey vector, if I send you a couple of pictures can you scan and e-mail it to me also?I have always wanted a computer picture I can save. Im not any good at this computer stuff. Anyway if you pm me with your address I will send a couple pictures along with my e-mail address. I need an avatar to put up. Thanks Vector

20. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :smile2: Yep! Bring 'em on! I'd be more than happy to help out!

Vector