Biggest catfish on smallest line ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyron4, Apr 16, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's the biggest cat you caught on the lowest pound test line ? How long did it take to land the fish ?

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    8# line ........8 pound channel .......the line was a good 120 feet out cause the shore has 2 inches of water for the first 40 feet (his fighten helped bring him through the grits and rocks

a budy of mine caught a 15# cat on 4 pound line

took him 2 hours and broke the line on shore but he still got it, never saw him run that fast in my life

U like lite tackle fishing ?????

3. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok This Is A Post That I Made On The Old BOC Site," Catching This Cat Is A Funny Story, I Was There To Bass Fish But Came Up Empty. When I Was Walking Over The Dam I Saw Some Channelcats That Would've Went About 5 Pounds, So I Caught A Small Blue Gill About 5 Or 6 Inches Long And Put It On A Carolina Rig With About A 8 Inch Leader. Then I Just Threw It Out Into The Middle Of The Pond And Just Started Drinking Some Cold Beer. No One Thought That I Would Hang One On The Live Blue Gill Because The Channelcats Were Farm Raised And Stocked In The Pond 3 Years Back. Every Since Then They Have Been Feed Floating Catfish Food. They Thought I Was Crazy For Using A Whole Blue Gill, But After About An Hour I Saw My Pole Get Slammed. (Thank God I Bought Some Rod Tip Glow Sticks A Few Days Prior) I Walked Over To My Rod Thinking That It Was A Turtle, Then My Rod Took Off Towards The Water. I Barely Grabbed It In Time. I Then Planted My Feet And Set The Hook (She Didn't Like That At All), Then She Almost Pulled Me Into The Water As I Was Trying To Loosen My Drag So That She Wouldn't Snap My Line. After I Got My Reel Set Up Good I Was Then In For The Greatest Fight Of My Life. After About 30 Minutes I Got Her To The Edge Of The 4 Foot Moss Line And That Was When I Saw Her HUGE Head Come Out Of The Water And Look At Me And Then She Turned Her Head Again For Another Run. 45 Mins Later I Finally Got Her Back To The Moss, I Just Waited For Her To Come To Me Because The Moss Was VERY THICK. She Lifted Her Head Again And That Was When I Tried To Pull Her Over The Top Of The Moss. I Got Her To The Edge Of The Water By The Bank And Was Reaching Down To Grab Her When She Flopped One Last Time And She Then Snapped My Line, But I Wasn't Down And Out Yet, You Better Believe That Without Hesitation I Jumped In The Water Over Her And Gave Pushed Her Head With All My Weight Into The Moss So That She Didn't Get Away. I Could Finally Grab Her With Both Of My Hands And Got Her On The Bank And I Walked Her A Little Ways Away From The Water Just To Be Safe After All I Went Through. My Friends Took Pictures Of Me And My HUGE Channel Catfish. Then We Weighed Her (42 POUNDS EVEN) Well We Had Her Out Of The Water For About 10 Minutes And I Was Ready To Let Her Go. I Stripped Down To My Boxers And Walked Her Out Past The Moss Line And Stayed With Her Until She Was Ready To Go Back To The Deep. That Made Me The Happiest Just Swimming With Her To Make Sure That She Would Make It After All The Stress I Put Her And She Put Me Through. Some Of My Friends Said That I Was Stupid And Crazy For Letting Her Go But I Just Told Them That I Let Her Go So That Way She Could Make Someone Else's Day, Week, Month, Year, Or Even Life. Like She Did Mine!!!TEN TIMES FULL!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now Since This Was Post I Have Found Out That She Would Have Been The Oklahoma State Record. Last Year During The Dry Spell The Pond Lost Alot Of Water And Killed Alot Of Fish. The Game Wardon Came Out And There Was A Channelcat Floating That Weighed 59lbs Dead. But To Answer Your Question For Me It Was A 42lb Cat On 15lb Test Berkley Trilene Big Game On A Bass Rod And Reel.

Attached Files:

4. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    18 lb channel on 8# trilene.. took about 20 mins.. fun fight.. no net

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Best so far on light line is a 37 lb blue on 4 lb Ande monofilament. Took about an hour in open water on ultralight tackle. I'm trying to break 50 lb on that 4 lb test!:tounge_out: :tounge_out:

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    25 pound flathead on 8 pound line and 10 foot ultralite, i was crappie fishing.

7. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    For me it was a 34 lb Blue on 15# Ande mono on my bass setup. It took about 15 min to land in a moderate river current.

Joe

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personaly I caught a 12 channel on 4# ultra lite while Crappie fishing a few years ago, but last year I was drifting for blues on the lake and a guy I was with hooked a Spoonbill just to the side of the mouth on the bill ,on a 6' bass rod with 12# Trilene, I roll the rest of the stuff in thinking it was big blue only to find out it was ole spoonie. My scales only go to 50# and it peged them but you could just lift it a little and the needle would come up so we guess around 55#'s. The whole ordeal took about 30 min. Great fight.

9. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    35 lb flathead on 6 lb line. crappie fishing and took about 30 minutes to land

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    9 pound blue on 4 pound line and a 5 pound channel on 2 pound line. About 10 minutes each.

Cheez

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I caught this monster on 12# Big game and it took almost 30 minutes. Can not get the pic to up load for some reason I will keep trying.

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    OK here we go 3rd times a charm

Attached Files:

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    20lb channel on 8 lb stren. Was a leader on my flyrod. Great fight. About twenty minutes.

Dru

14. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    9# flattie on 4lb trilene and 9# channel on 8lb p-line.

15. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    634 lb catfish on a piece of dental floss. :wink:

Jon

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The biggest I've caught on light line was from afew years ago. I was using 10lb Ande, caught a 48lb flathead. It took an 1 1/2 hours to get in. Hooked him on a two day old $100.00 spinning rod. Well afew days after that battle, the rod fell apart. The top eyelet came off and the cork handles broke free. I guess those rods weren't meant for that big of fish. Had alot of fun but it came with a price.

17. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    23 lb Channel Cat on 8lb test Berkley XL. I had an excellent spinning set up with me and a Zebco 202 and yup you guessed it the moster hit on the 202.....fine quality spin button drag system preformed like a slug to little or to much drag, best darn 25 minutes of my fishing life!!!!! Brought it into the trout dip net that barely contained his head and he was landed. A quick kiss an a few photo's later, I watched it swim away. Hooked me on catfishing.

Richard

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

:big_smile: I remember you, you had a bent safety pin for a hook, didn't you?

19. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Very impressive my friend!!!

20. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Accidently snagged a 26lb flathead it in the tail...talking about a good fight! It is rather difficult to drag in a flathead that big backwards with 6lb line.