Biggest cat while Crappie fishing

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Flootie16, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys i know this is the crappie page but with this being a catfishing website I was curious about something. What is the biggest catfish you have ever caught while crappie fishing? Im sure any serious crappie fisherman has had this happen to you. I have had it happen to me many of times. there was actually one time that i chose not to fish the local club tourney one saturday and went crappie fishing instead and i caught five catfish that would have been enough to win the tourney and i was just fishing the slabs.

2. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Biggest I would say was in the 3 1/2 to 4 pound range flipping jigs in shallow water durring the spring spawn.

I did hook one once on my 12 foot ultralight, had him on for almost 5 mitnutes and couldn't budge him, he finally made a run and wrapped the line up in a snag.
    I like to think that was the big one that got away,lol, but I have pulled in 3 to 4 pound bass on that rod, so I guess it was bigger than that.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the biggest i have ever caught was an 11 lb flathead. ive caught a bunch of channels in the 5-6 range. I have a buddy on here that if i remember right he told me that he caught a 22 lb flattie while crappie fishing with minnows on a bobber. he would know it better than i though

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I caught a 10 lb channel this winter fishing docks. It was a heck of a fight on 4lb test and a 4ft ultra light

5. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    but it's true, about 4 years ago while fishing near the dam in 20-24 FOW I got what I thought was a bite and about an hour or so later got this blue in the boat. I wanted to let it go but my brother-in-law who was with me wanted to keep it. 60 lbs on the deer scales at the game warden's shack. Now for the tail part, I was using a jig on 8 lb line and had hooked it in the tail, truth. I have caught a few flatheads while perch jerking too. I think I may have a pix of that too.
    [​IMG]

Couldn't fine the 14 lb one I caught a couple of years ago but did fine this 28 lber I caught bass fishing with a ji/pig about 15 years ago. I also have caught a 24 lber jig and pigging the year before.
    [​IMG]

6. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    I caught a 16 pound flathead on a dead minnow this spring while crappie fishing.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man i bet that was a blast trying to get him on the boat with the lite tackle congrats on a nice catch

8. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    about 5lbs on my little UL. Still a great fight

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Did not weigh it but, I reckon somewhere around 14 or 15 # Channel.

Of course I was cheating, had a cat pole out. I most always have a cat pole out no matter what else I am fishing for.:wink:

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The biggest cat I have caught while crappie fishing was a 9 pound blue caught on a bubblegum/chartruse tripple ripple grub on a 1/16 oz head and 4 pound line. Lotsa fun!

11. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    This one caught just a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]

caught using suffix hi-vis 6lb mono with this cheap little pole.

[​IMG]

and his weight:

[​IMG]

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thank you laura for sharing those pictures with us. very nice cat on such a lite pole. you have got to love that kind of action

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice little cat Laura.

14. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    My girlfriend caught a 5 pound channel on one of my hand tied ice jigs while jigging for crappie after ice out this year. It was on and ice pole. Took for ever to get it in and I had to grab it by the back of the head to get it on the dock. No bait of any kind just a jig. I was proud I tied it and surprised.

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The biggest cat caught was a channel around 11# or so but just saturday i caught a 4# channel cat crappie fishing thought he was a monster crappie because he wasnt going for bottom so I thought I had a trophy crappie but it was a channel cat. I kept him and ate him last night. the first catfish Ive had in a while pretty good eatin.

16. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Caught a flat about 15# on a crappie minnow on 6# ultra-light. Hell of a fight.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    caught a 15 or so flathead floating a hair jig in an eddie for crapy.