biggest bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    What is the biggest bullhead youve caught and on what bait/method?

i remember regularly catching 3-4 lb ers on black and lime green rubber crawdad fished on bottom out of small private pond.

in our city park a peice of bread will almsot guarantedd a bucket load of 1-2 lb ers and smaller

biggest i remember putting a scale on went 5 lbs even

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It's odd, we don't catch many bullheads around here, I've never seen one come from the river, they're flats or channels, and maybe a white every so often. I remember catching a few 1-2 lbers from muddy ol' cow ponds when I was a kid. For some reason I don't think they're real common around here.

Do you like to eat them?

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't know the exact weight since I don't bother weighing many, but I have caught a few around 5+ pounds in the river where the current state record was caught this year (6 pounds 6.3 ounces). I've probably caught some pushing 6 pounds just never weighed them. Don't know what we bait they would have been caught on but mostly we use night crawlers for bait, but we also use crawfish and cut herring. Hellgramites work good too if you can find them. Really any kind of worm will work. I think we used to use blue worms and they worked well. Red worms have worked too, as well as the worms we dig buy the creek that seem to be different from anything we buy at the bait shop. Different cut baits will work too. If we catch a sucker on worm we'll use it for cut bait. Heard of other cut baits being used too.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

it was a cow pond i got my "big" ones from

never ate any of those..ate soem out of cleaner water and they are perty good...cleaning them will let ya know why they are called paperskins though

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Biggest I ever got was around 24".Got it on a live gill while fishing for flats.:eek:oooh:.

6. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    8 pounder on a jug with cut skipjack.

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i'm still not sure what every one calls a bull head.around here we've got fish we call pineyed mudcats,speckled cats,& a little cat that looks like a mix between a channel & a blue.i've been told they're all bull heads, i don't know.but i've caught some speckled cats up to 10 lbs. when i used to fish farm ponds.

8. festus

festus New Member

The biggest black bullhead I ever caught was about 16" long, not sure of the weight, maybe 2 lbs. My father and I caught a yellow bullhead out of a farm pond on a trotline when I was a teenager. It was at least 2 feet long.

9. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    speckled is a channel, that little cat might be a white catfish, and mudcats are a slang term for 3types of bullhead catfish

10. festus

festus New Member

The state record for TN for black bullhead is 3 lb. 6 oz out of a farm pond in Cannon County. Yellow bullhead - 4-1/2 lb, Chicamaugua Lake. Brown Bullhead--2 lb. 14 oz, also from Chicamaugua. I'm sure there's some more swimming around out there that are bigger.

11. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i caught a 18" then a 23" black bullhead out of a pond within a few minutes of eachother on small pieces of hotdog.

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    8 Lb bullhead:eek:oooh: did you eat it? i probably would have lol

13. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    8lb bullhead?????? lets check some state records.......ours is under 4 pounds.....last year I got 1 that was 3 ounces short of the state record....

they don't get that big around here.....I'm checking on the world record now....

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Im not saying it aint the truth, id just like to see one that big

15. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yea I would belive it more with pictures tho.....I know they get bigger in other places but around here if I claimed I had anything over 5lb everyone would say "you sure that ain't a flathead?".....

I thought the world record was like 6pounds tho?????

I guess it's 8pounds 15 ounces....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i didnt knwo when i was catchin 5 lb ers that that was a monster of a bullhead..im betting there a ton of em out there 7-10 lbs and nobody cares what record is what.

17. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    sometines people confuse bullheads and flatheads but there's a lot of difference bullheads only usually grow to 5 pounds, and flatheads can get as big as a full grown man

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    bullhead = prey
    flathead = predator

19. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    a speckled cat ain't no channel.i know a channel.the ones i'm refering to have big heads and a little purplish color to them.its a bullhead theres quite a few bullhead species,i just was'nt sure which one he was talking about.

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS