Biggest buck you never got

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by MadKater, Dec 7, 2005.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Lets here some stories about the biggest buck or bucks you have seen and missed or just never got a shot.
    as for me seeing a monster buck and having it walk 10yrds out of range seems to be an every year thing lol.
    but thier was this one time the biggest buck i hav ever seen{i know everyone starts a big buck storie out with"the biggets buck i ever seen" but this really was the biggest buck i have ever seen lol} anyway...i was stand hunting an island out in the middle of this unharvested corn field,I didnt plan on seeing any bucks which didnt bother me,i was only 18 and would have been happy with a doe and my first ever recurve kill. I was sitting in my home made stand that consited of 3 2x4 boards waiting for it to get daylight,i could hear movement all around me in the corn field and also on the island with me but it was to dark to see what was making the comotion. as it started getting light things calmed down,i was sitting thier and all of the sudden this big doe come charging from the corn roes and walked at a fast pase not 15yrds from me,i pulle dmy recurve back and waited for her to enter on eof the two clearing i had to shoot in,i herd a loud grunt and more crashing threw the corn,i let my bow down and waited to se the buck i just herd,it seemed liek it took and hour for him to exit the corn and when he did i couldnt belive what i had walkin towards me,all i seen where antlers,HUGE antlers,but i couldnt tell exactly how tall his rack was caus ehe had his nose to the ground,he got about 20 yrds from me wlaking at a fast pase with his nose still to the ground,i grunted to get him to stop and he raised his head and thats when my buck fever turned into OMG! i let my arrow fly and it all seemed liek slow motion,the chartreuse feathers spinning threw the air heading rite for the massive buck,the buck lunged foward and t the same time he dropped down so low his belly hit the ground and i watched helplessly as my arrow glanced off his back giving him a small but non lethal hair cut.i sat thier for a good hour in shock,convince dmy self ill see him again in the up coming hunts.the next few day si changed my stand locations,tactics and anything i could think of and seen a few really nic ebucks but my mind was set on the arrow dodging monster that haunted me in my sleep.that weekend i got a call from a good buddy of mine that owns a taxidermy shop,i had told him about the buck and he calle dme and said kris come on down her ei got somthing i want you to look at,i go thier and walked threw the door and my heart just sank into my stomach when i seen the rack of MY deer sitting on the work table..a fella that leases the land butting up to the property i was hunting took the buck.........id like to say i was happy for him but honestly i was not,yes i was jealouse but i eventualy got over it.this buck was massive,he ha da perfect main frame 10 point rack with extremly tall tines and TWO drop tines the right being a ta dover 7" and th eleft almost 11"!!!!! he scored in at almost 190 green from what i hear...oh well thier ar emore bucks out thier.even tho i havnt seen oen like that in 7 years lol

2. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    first part of december last year. a chilly and lightly breezy beautiful sunny day. stalking up deer on the 300 acres i lived on at the time. "raised up" on a yearling doe but when i saw her thru the scope i didnt have as good a shot as i thought so i let her slide. around noon or so i decide its time for a bite to eat so i hunt my way back to the house.

perhaps no more than 100 yards from my back door i unload my rifle and take my pipe from my pocket. leisurely loading my pipe with tobacco im not paying too much attention to anything else when something catches my eye. rifle unloaded and slung on my shoulder, my big freehand pipe in one hand and a lighter in the other, and not fifty yards away from me is far and above the biggest buck id ever seen. i counted seven tines on one side and could have had more.

by this point my heart was pounding its way thru my chest and my tunnel vision showed me nothing outside of the massive buck's vitals area. slowly enough it seemed to be an eternity i let the pipe and lighter simply fall from my hands and gingerly unslung the rifle. with mine eyes focused on his vitals the crosshairs lined up perfectly. this was it, this was my once in a lifetime buck id waited oh so many deer seasons to find. i pulled back the hammer as softly as i could, wincing at that little sound it made as it locked into place. with the scope on him i could tell for sure he was a solid 14 point typical. id only seen bucks like this in magazines.

he's standing quartering away from me to the left at fifty yards or so, i figure out exactly where my entrance wound needs to be and squeeze the trigger.
    CLICK !

That click was louder than any gunshot id ever heard.

by this point the buck is looking dead at me, perhaps even laughing at me, i creep my hand down into my coat pocket for a cartridge and load the rifle with as little movement as possible. i think i may have wet my pants too.
    hahaha i managed to get the rifle cocked and sighted just as the buck took a big leap into the thicket. a dozen emotions hit me all at once. mostly i was mad at myself. here was my lifetime deer and i let it get away. my (now ex-) wife told me it served me right for unloading my gun before i got to the porch.

i calmly stood there for a good five minutes letting my blood pressure calm down and trying to listen to hear the buck thru the woods. thinking about what i did wrong and how never to let this happen again. dejected and disgusted i go back in the house, eat a bite of lunch, and go start tracking that deer. his massive tracks were easy to pick out of the others and i spent the rest of the afternoon roaming his area.

twice more last season i saw that same deer but never was granted another chance at a shot. i still daydream about such a deer walking out in front of me and if i hunt smart enough and long enough i will indeed be blessed with such a deer to my credit. its okay tho, many people never get a chance to even see such an animal.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great stories guys. I'll be copying some of them soon to the library area. Thanks for sharing!

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The biggest buck I ever saw was out in a field just before sunrise kicking the crap out of the previously mentioned bucks,for exercise, to warm up because it was also cold.SO THERE take your puny bucks back where they belong,we grow em big down here!!!!!!!!!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The largest Buck I ever saw was a huge non typical..It was standing in a plowed field not 15 yds from the road..I saw it the first day of deer gunseason many years ago while driving home after an unproductive hunt. :D

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Funny how you Southern boys always talk about how "big" yalls deer are and i will admit them southern bucks can grow some impressively wide racks,but the bodies ar small.maybe cause all they got to eat are nuts and cotton lol . if you want massive antlers and huge bodies ya need to travel up where a 200+lb deer still has some growin to do ;)

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Baitfish I know you do.That corn is a powerful buck producer.Its just that ours are plumb MEAN!!!!!!!I shot at one with a 7mm Weatherby one day and thought I had missed,next day I came back to my stand and there was a note on the bottom step that said "May I suggest that you upgrade to a 300 Weatherby,that 150 gr Hornaday Boattail Spire Point you are using in the 7mm drifts to much in the wind" Sincerely "The Buck".Did I also mention that they are pretty smart!!!!!!I still think it was really mean of that buck to critcize my rifle,I didn't say anything to him about that ugly doe he was hanging out with.!Besides he didn't recommend a bullet weight for the 300.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The biggest buck I ever saw is the one in my avatar. LOL So instead of that story Ill tell the story of my first ever deer hunt.

My grandfather had some land about an hour away, about 150 acres. Its about an hour trip but the weather was horrible. 40mph winds with sleet, rain and snow. I had to pull over 3 times before I ever got there. An hour trip that took 90 minutes. So I finally got down there and my "guide" was just walking out the door, saying he just about gave up on me. The weather hadnt reached there yet but it soon would.

He showed me to my stand and he took off to his. About an hour later the gunfire starts. One was really close and I heard something running behind me, I turn and look its a nice 8-10 pointer. Hes zigzagging and everything so he was gone before I could even think about getting him in sight. Well after that Im feeling pretty low, Ill never see a buck like that again today. :sad:

Well now here come the weather. Talk about being cold, with the 40mph winds whipping my tree around and me being scared of heights. Im too afraid to climb down the stand and decide to wait it out. Besides my buddy will come get me if it gets too bad. After about 2 hours it lets up and I hear something directly below my stand. Another nice buck, Well this one is in bow range and I get the worst case of buck fever Ive ever had in my life. My 870 express is shaking all over the place and this buck is staring right at me. Long story short I miss cleanly, no blood or hair.

I just recently went back to the same county to allow some buddies to hunt a different tract of land. The guy that put me on stand was going to show us around that land which is about 350 acres. Well he has to rag on me about my first hunt. I find out while I was taking a nap on stand between the first and second buck that he was watching me thru binocs from the next ridge. There was a third buck that I hadnt seen had come up under my stand that snorted and pawed the ground under me for a good 10 minutes while I was sleeping. All he could see was my elbows sticking out from the tree and couldnt figure out why I wasnt shooting. He says he still tells that story to everyone and Im known as the sleepy hunter. :rolleyes:

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There is not one single big buck that sticks out in my mind. I have seen a lot so called big bucks. They all just so happen to be while bird hunting. Nothing beats a good ol Kansas or Iowa buck.

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    My third season out deer hunting I was walking through a a bunch of large spread out pines lining a small clearing. My attention was fixed onthe clearing as I was starign contently, trying to find a moving deer. I had my rifle on a sling over my shoulder as nothing came into view. All of a sudden I got a chill down my spine liek something was watching me. I turned my head slowly to my left to see a trophy blacktail staring me down at about 10 feet. At that range and him having me dead in his stare there was nothing I could do. I sat there and waited for what seemed like eternity not moving when he bolted, I threw my gun off my shoulder with enough time to see a flash of white as he went out of site.

(the next day my dad shot him about a mile away)

-Brian

11. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    My fourth season out deer hunting I got into a trophy area. I had already taken a buck that went Boone and Crocket and as a Camp we had taken two. One evening I was out walking a valley that had been treating us well. The sun was starting to set when I spotted him. At 600 yds, I could make out the branches of his antlers through my scope. Never have I seen a largr blacktail and I doubt I ever will. My partner and I talked for about ten minutes trying to think of some way to get on him before dark adn we saw no possibility. TO compound the problem it was our last hunting day of the trip. I got as close as I could and took a good rest with my .300 WIn mag. i have taken several animals at five hundred yards, but this was just beyond my absolute limit. I tried everything I could to justify the shot and I could not do it. I watched him walk away through my scope.

-Brian

12. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well since everyone has heard how we corn feed Iowa bucks let me tell you about last years opening day gun season. Me and my step-son have made it a tradition that we go out together. And mostly its on public land once in a while we get to do some private. But this year we could only hunt public, so we know this great food plot that the Army corp plants and leaves for the deer. It has 2 fields with a small draw running down the middle. You park right at the edge of all three. We had 1 of his friends with us so we had everything covered. I sent Billy(step-son) into the timber while me and Eddie(friend) walked around the edge of the corn fields. Well on the path that I got there is a little pond at the edge of the field about 300 yds from where I started. It was 45mins before daylight and I wanted to be at the pond. So I sneak as quiet as a 300 lb. Bull moose can. And I'm sitting at the pond right before sun up. Well i hear some crashing going on in the corn. But 1 1/2 hrs later nothing. So its time to go somewhere else. So I walk around the pond and start heading to the timber where I left Billy. Im walking the edge between the switch grass and the corn field just in case something comes out.
    Well I make the last turn and what I spooked I will never forget. I have seen lots of 10,12,14 pts typical and non in the 28yrs that I have been hunting but had never seen one that had this many points going everywhere, all I could think is Cabelas here we come. I put a bead on him he took 2 leaps in that switch grass and dissappeared toward the timber. He had to of belly crawled that 100 yds cause I never seen him again. Im thinking good heading right for Billy, so I am waiting for the shot. Nothing 30mins goes by nothing. So I comb every inch of switch grass between me and the car. And what do I find? Billy sound asleep in the drivers seat he had go cold and never seen that monster run right in front of him. We dont let him live it down. I spent the next 6 days waiting hoping and praying but have never seen him again.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Some of the stories here have been copied to the Premium Outdoor area of the library. Thanks for all the great stories guys.

14. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well here goes,

The biggest buck that I have ever seen was last year and I did not get a shot at him. I had been leasing the right to hunt a farm with 3 other fellas, the farm had produced some really nice deer in years past for our area. I had been hunting there for three years and although the abundance of deer I saw was great, I had not seen any real bruisers. I had taken numerous does over that span, just had not seen the buck I wanted.

It was the 4th day of rifle season here in Ky, I had gotten a late start that morning due to a Dr appointment. I walked down to a ladder stand we had placed in a holler on a small creek on the main path into the woods. You could see about 200yds up and down the creek as well as up the hill to the rear and front. There were still some leaves on the bushes and under growth along the creek. Well 2 of the other guys had been in there since before sun up and they had both shot deer and were walking out down the path to cross the creek to get the 4 wheeler so they could bring their deer out. I knew they were there and their locations because we have a map of the farm mounted on a board and each of us have a different colored stick pin which we use to mark our location for safety purpose and I had phoned each of them the night before to let them know I would be late and in the ladder stand. They stopped to tell me of their hunt and the nice deer they had taken, one a very respectable 8 point and the other a very mature doe. Well, it takes about 20mins to get to the 4 wheeler from there and you can hear when it starts. I heard it when they fired it up and could hear them coming back down toward me on the path. I turned to my right to look up the creek and about 170yds away standing right in the middle of it was the biggest deer I have ever seen. I knew that my trusty .270 weatherby would do a nice job bringing him down at that range. I could hear that blamed 4 wheeler getting closer and closer just as I settled the crosshairs on that brute they had topped the hill and he bolted behind the brush. As they got to the stand there I sat head in my hands shaking from head to toe they knew immediately without my saying a word what had happened. The fella that was driving the 4 wheeler had the good fortune to see him this year but said he was shaking so bad he wouldn't even consider trying a shot at him, said (THAT WAS THE BIGGEST DEER I HAVE SEEN MY ENTIRE LIFE!). The plus side is that big bruiser is still alive and makin babies, so hopefully one day one of us might be lucky enough to bag a real trophy class deer in either him or one he has sired. I think that just being able to see so majestic an animal was reward enough for that hunting trip.