Biggest Bluegill I've ever caught

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by fordman49450, Jul 16, 2007.

1. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well, I know you guys have seen some big bluegill, Here in MI if you catch one about 6" or so you've done good and if they made it to be that big they are usually pretty thick. My favorite thing to do is go Bluegill/Crappie fishing, I have been going for over 22 years now, well since my dad took me as a kid. I just a few years ago aquired a 14ft rowboat, and with the help of my dad who passed away last year due to cancer at 49 years old, we made a nice fishing boat out of it. I could never selll it because my dad did all the wood work in it so there is sentimental value. If you want to take a look at the boat, go here. http://www.dskellogg.com/boat.html

A buddy and I have been going fishing the last few weeks, the first time we went we caught 62 bluegill/sunfish. Yes, I know that’s 12 over our limit but we didn’t count because we weren’t expecting that many. The 2nd time we went we caught 38. We went tonight and caught probably 40=50. Among these was the biggest Bluegill I have ever caught.

Usually they range from about 4-5 inches not counting the head. If you catch what is considered a decent size worth filleting it's about 6 inches and are fairly thick.. I throw anything back not worth filleting. But tonight I caught this monster. It's a bit over 10" long and from top to bottom it's around 5". It nearly snapped my pole. I use a little ultralight pole about a 1/8 inch thick at the end and 4lb test. Let me know what you think.

http://www.dskellogg.com/P1010278.JPG

http://www.dskellogg.com/P1010279.JPG

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    that is a good sized bluegill you got there, good job. Thanks for sharing.

3. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thank you, and I caught it using my favorite setup for bluegill, a #10 black gnat fly fishing hook with a wax worm. I use it under a small pencil bobber with about 30" of line under the bobber with a split shot about 6" above the hook. so far the 3 times my buddy and I have went this year, we have on average caught our limit everytime in about 2 hours or so.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    nice looking blue gill there i need a few of them for for flathead bait

5. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    you can have whats left of him after I fillet him along with the others tomorrow. I've had fish the last 2 weeks for dinner about 4 night worth :) I love panfish. I will eat catfish, salmon, bass, any other kind of fish, but to me, nothing taste better than a batch of fresh panfish. Looks like a fish dinner tomorrow. Heck, I'll send whats left of all of them after filleting. it might need some air freshners in the box though.:smile2:

6. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Dustin thats a real nice Blue Gill. Good Luck!

7. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats one nice Gill..did it make a good sandwich LOL??

Whens the fish fry:big_smile:?

8. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    nice blue gill my dad cuaght one back in 1988. it weighed 1.5lbs and missed the record by 1.5lbs in indiana. so u got a nice gill there

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I had no idea that Tony Schalube liked panfish. LOL!

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have caught some nice gills in Louisiana but I have not caught any that large.

11. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    well, I'll find out tonight about the sammich :) I just fillet'd all the fish and put them in cold water with some salt. as far as Tony Shaloub goes, I guess i'm just a big fan of the show "MONK" :)

12. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    BTW, I weighed it this morning, it weighed 1.6 lbs. I missed the record for Michigan by 1 lb and 3 inches as far as weight and length goes. My buddy told me to have it mounted, I told him it would taste better than it would look in the closet because my wife wouldnt let me hang it up.

13. stokie_336

stokie_336 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice gill, never seen one that big. Thanks for sharing

14. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    MAN, I thought teh one my daughter caught was nice.
    Nice catch!!! Gonna have to try those wax worms

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Nice boat and nice fish!
    Bill

16. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That is one nice size gill.Congrats.

17. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congradulations on that monster gill you caught!! I also like what you have done to the boat.

18. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for all the comments guys. yeah, the boat isnt anything fancy, but it's got lots of sentimental value and it works great for what I do. If any of you guys are ever near Southwest Michigan, let me know. I'd be glad to take you out. I'm getting ready to install some lighting in the boat to do some night time Crappie fishing and some catfishing. Thanks again for all the comments.

19. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thats a mighty big gill. Congratz :wink:

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice fish, thats one of the biggest Bluegills I have seen.