Biggest bait you've used for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ClayDog, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    I caught a 51 on a 1lb 1/2 creek pumpkinseed. Also Landed a couple on Big rock bass over a lb. Saw a Gentleman catch a 44 lb flatty on a 3 lb channel

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have used carp and largemouth bass 2-3 pound range before. goodluck, rollo

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Back a few years ago ago I saw a guy pulling in what turned out to be a 17lb blue, when he got it close it was nailed by a 40lb flathead, craziest thing I have even seen, he caught both fish.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have caught nice sized flathead on israeli carp from 1 to 2 pounds

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't like to use bait bigger than my unit can handle. I dont mean that I use eighty puond bait, it's just that I dont like bait that can take my line out. If I see or hear a solid click or pole bender I like to know that there is a fish on, other than by bait! lol:wink:

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I can get my hands on some 1lb to 3lb buffalo or carp I'm a happy camper!! OR I catch some mud cats up to 12" and they work super too!! I have used both in the past. One weekend while running lines I had a throw line get pulled up river into a big snag, so I knew a big flathead was on the line. It takes a good one to pull a 10lb weight up river 40'. I got the line and could feel a huge fish on it but it was hung. My buddy and I pulled and fought till it broke free and when it came to the top we had a 18lb flathead on the 4th hook and it had been swallowed by a much bigger fish! The tail of the 18lb fish was turing to jelly and the sides were scraped and bloody. I don't know just how big the other cat was but it took a 18lb bait, it keeps me going back!! The 9/0 eagle claw was hung in the roof of the fishes mouth so the bigger fish could not get hooked. So I guess a 10lb bait is not too big if a flathead will take one that tips the scale at 18lbs! The next day I took a 67lb fish near that spot but I think the one I lost was bigger.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    for cats ive used black perch and bullheads up to 12 inches long.
    as for the biggest bait ive ever used i have used a 20 or 30 lb.jackfish for sharks in the gulf of mexico.

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I've used gills up to 10" & Bullheads up to 14"

Thanks
    J

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Heads off of carp that are 15-20 pounds.

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i guess rules are quite different back east from out west. here, LMB are game fish and cannot be used as bait. (wish they could though, i catch enough small ones) biggest bait i've used is gills or redears up to 12 inches.
    gary

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have caught a 18lb flat on a 5lb drum. So i think that big bait would get bigger fish if they are around.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I used a live 2lb carp earlier in the year and hooked into a fish I had for an hour and a half and couldnt get it in. I know it was a record and I know it was over a 100 pounds we chased that sucker with the trolling motor until the battery was almost dead. He ended up getting hung on something the closest I got him to the boat was about 12 feet. Ive been pulling in nice ones in the same area but havent hooked him again probably never will but I can still hope.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used about three pound skip jack whole before

14. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have used 2 to 4 lb carp when i can catch them but crappie about 8 to 12 inches works good to

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have used blugill as big as my hand and skipjack and shad up to about 10 maybe 11 inches long, but not often. One of the best baits I use atleast for me is shad guts messy but they work.:eek:oooh:

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    So far nothing over 1/2 lb. Maybe that has been the problem.

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    What kind of hooks do you use with 5 # carp. Then weight to hold it down, then rod to cast it out????

** I have used some large carp as bait before, some around 12-15 inches, and those were under a pound.. Had to clip the tail and put on 10 oz of weight.. Hard to cast all that weight..

Thanks~

18. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use the big baits on throw lines myself where a 8lb to 10lb weight is used. As far as hooks on big baits I use the same as I always use, a 9/0 or 10/0 090SS eagle claw.
    As far as rod and reel fishing a 10" to 12" bait is about the biggest, blue gill and mudcats are the ones I use most. I use with a 5oz or 6oz flat no roll sinker and I use a 9/0 or 10/0 octopus hook.

19. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Well onetime I was doing little bank fishin caught a 8 pound bluecat and put it on a stringer and about 30 min later a 65 to 70 pound flathead was trying to eat him

20. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Well it's like they say about Fishermen (THE FIRST LIER DOSEN'T STAND A CHANCE)