Biggest Baddest Spinning Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Pooh, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Pooh

Pooh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey wats up everyone. I have been starting to fish the mississippi river alot near st louis. I already have the rods picked out im going to buy, but I was wondering what is the biggest baddest spinning reel on the market to match with these 12 foot rods. I need a reel that can hold a lot of heavy line and cast large weights.

Thanks

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    For a big heavy duty spinner, I'd take a look at the the Shimano Baitrunner. For dependability and service life, it may be hard to beat. There are cheaper reels and more expensive reels, but the Baitrunner has stood the test of time.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pooh: May I suggest that you try a baitcaster? I think you would be more pleased in the long run, especially on the mighty Mississippi, with a 12 foot rod. I'm an Abu Garcia man myself, and can guarantee that you would like them. If you do try an Abu, get a 6500 series, or up. Keep us posted on what you do. BTW: Penn also has some great baitcasters that hold a LOT of line.
    Bill in SC

4. Pooh

Pooh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bill, I already run Penn 309 Baitcasters, but for casting distance I prefer big spinning combos.

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
  6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Penn 9500 SS is a hard reel ro beat for capacity and durability. Daiwa also makes some really large reels for long distance surf casting, but be prepared to pay the $$ for them. They are nice, though, with a long wide spool, and tons of bearings to support the gears and mainshaft. There's also the classic Daiwa Gold series of reels as well. Shimano makes great reels as well, but I'm not sure if any of the reels available in the USA are capable of holding the line capacity of the Penn's and Daiwa's.

If you don't mind ordering a reel from England (or Europe), that's the place to look for super-capacity spinning reels, as they are extremely popular over there due to the fact that they fish from the banks for large wels catfish. I've seen reels on British websites that easily hold 400 yds or more of 20lb test.

If money is no object, buy a Van Staal spinning reel and forget about all the others. Built like a tank, smooth as glass, and super line capacity. They run $450-$800 or so, but they don't get any better. Nothing else even comes close.

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The Baitrunner 6500, the Penn 9500, both great choices... A Penn Senator 3/0, 4/0 or 6/0 may also be worth a try if you want a change from the 309...

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Shimano Baitrunner 6500, Aint gonna be much out there better than that.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I like the Okuma Coronado CD90's.All Stainless gears.They hold up to 590 yards of the thinest 20 lb.Mono.500 yards of the thicker less expensive.It is also rated for 330 yards of 30 pound mono.They were designed for and proved on the big fast offshore fish and the huge Grouper in the tropical reefs along with the Northern Fluke which often goes hundreds of lbs.It is also a bait feeder.I found the X-tra spools far cheaper than the Penn or Shimano.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. Pooh

Pooh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone for the info. Since price is a concern for a student like me, I think im leaning towards the baitrunner. The okumas are up in the running too since I already have a few big ones that I love

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu C106 is a good one.

13. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yard sales are great places to go. Got a abu garcia morrum for $50 and a calcutta 50 for $10 both in the box and in great shape.

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Okuma's are nice too, and they have a decent price tag as well. Most everyone I've talked to that has Okuma gear seems to be satisfied with it. PM me and I can give you a website that sometimes has really good deals on new and reconditioned Okuma reels.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I still use a Shimano 6500 baitrunner when bank fishing. Its spooled with 40 lb test and still cast a good distance. They run about $109 new, but i got mine on ebay for $45. Good luck

16. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Anybody ever see a south bend mudville? They have them at wal mart. I talked to a guy that had one. He spooled it with power pro 65 lb. line. It held 200 or more yards. They are very cheap but he said they are very tough to beat for the money. Me personally, abu garcia 5500,6500, and a shimano curado.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Have to agree with Peewee on this one, I LOVE mine.

18. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    See my review on the Diawa DF100A Giant.

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    there's the penn 9500ss it holds over 300yds of 30lb test retails for about 130 dollars.

the okuma epixor eb80 holds about 400 yds of 20lb test retails for 80-100 dollars.

and the okuma coronado cd90 hold 500yds of 20lb test and retails for 60-80 dollars.

i have or have had all three of these reels and if i had to recommend one id go with the epixor it has an aluminum frame, 10 bearings, comes with a spare spool (aluminum)and a baitrunner feature. when i bought this reel i'd contact okuma and buy a cd90 spool since they're interchangeable.