bigger live bait bigger fish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 22, 2009.

do you think bigger bluegill sunfish will produce much larger flatheads than smaller

1. yes

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    do you think bigger bluegill sunfish will get you bigger flatheads

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Nope, not at all. You can't get too big of a gill for a small flathead to eat. I've tried...:smile2:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so you thik it does not matter if you got a 3 inch or a 8 inch on,personaly i dont know, ive had more hits on 3 inch but all my biger ons were on 3 to 4 inch sunnfish

4. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I feel like you will have less hits on a larger 8"+ bluegill than you will on a 3" bluegill, but the hits on the larger gill will be from bigger fish.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Seems like the 8"+ would weed out the smaller ones....Several times this year I've used large, bigger than hand sized gills and caught 2, 3 & 4lb'ers. I've caught several 6-11lb'ers on smaller(3-6") gills and the heads this year. My PB Flattie(33 1/2lb) took a 3-4" Goldfish.
    I still like to try to get the biggest baits I can get to use for flatties, If nothing else it makes me feel better using them.:smile2: A 12-16" LM Bass, Carp or a big Bullhead will cut down on the smaller ones also...:roll_eyes::smile2:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    me to, but i think to bigg you loose hookup ratio unless you got huge hooks, so i keep all my bluegill, as long as there no bigger than my hand , but i dont like them 1 inch things, but walliey love them

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have had 2 lb flathead on 7 in bluegill and it was easy for his to get it so I would need a state record bluegill to get a huge one and not have a little one hit it at all

8. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I caught my pb flathead on a blurgill 3 inches long. I think big bluegills would keep little ones from biting sometimes. I don't think it really matters, if it is in front of him and he is hungry, he will eat it.:smile2:

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have seen 4to5# flatties eat a 5" gill before and seen a 30 plus pounder take a 2" gill so the size of the gills is no matter if they are hungry they are going eat what they feel like eating

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I use 10/0 King Khales when I use the hand size & bigger gills. No problems with hook ups.
    Channels & blues also love the small gills, caught some nice channels and blues on the small gills this year.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree with this unless there minow size , but im not a veteran by any means, if i was i wouldent ask so many qwestions,lol:tounge_out:

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No.Catfish are opportunistic feeders and will eat whatever,whenever they want..I usually use big bait thinking the smaller fish won't be able to eat it but you know what, they always fool me..

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I like the theory, "Big Bait, Big Fish", but it doesn't always work that way. But more times then not, I'll always have at least a rod or 2 loaded up with a whole shad 10" to 16" just in case Bubba comes along when after the blues. Most times you just have to figure out what sized bait they are hungry for on a given day. Sometimes they get selective on what they want. It's not a bad idea to start out with different sized baits to see what they want, and go from there.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if there was nothing in the water but gills and big flatheads I would use any sized gill from a few inches on up- lol make it easy to get and it'll get got!
    Only reason I like bigger bait are to weed out sauger, bass, and if I'm lucky- turtles, smaller flats and channels.
    Bite time sweet spots are too short to have to feed every small critter in the river using small bait.... Plus the commotion of landing small flats and turtles etc. ain't cool- especially in a boat and/or when your fishing close...

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, both my 2 pbs 50 and 42 were on 3 inch green sunfish, and i lost alot more that were way bigger all on 3 inch greenies,but i get a broad range from 1 inch to 6 inch, i dont like the 1 inch, but three is fine, and so is 6 or 7

16. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I figure the bigger bait might have a better chance of getting noticed or getting the big flatheads attention. I guess it will get the smaller ones attention too, I have seen some pretty small flats take bait that was nearly half as long as them.

17. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    The advantage of bigger baits is that they might get noticed quicker and they might live longer from the hook injury. My biggest flats have not been caught on the biggest baits. Instinct also plays a part in feeding as with all predators. I have seen an eight inch blue attack a six inch gill and there is no way he could ever even begin to swallow that fish.

18. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My buddy caught a 57 pound blue on a HUGE perch, biggest I've seen, last night.

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Seems for me the larger my bait the smaller the flathead LOL. I have caught 1LB flatheads on gills larger than my hand and 1LB flatheads on 8" creek chubs. Yet the larger flats I get seem to come off shad heads. I guess someone forgot to explain to these fish what they are supposed to like, but I also caught a blue cat bass fishing so go figure.

Attached Files:

20. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think the advantage in using the bigger bait is it causes more disturbance and vibration in the water, therefore letting fish further away know it is there to be eaten.