Bigger hooks or not?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by caneycat, Nov 2, 2007.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use 7/0 circle hooks on my noodles and i like 10 inch and bigger mullet for bait and i cut them in hafe, so i end up with a 5,6 7 inches long peace of bait! If i get bigger hooks will it help me get more cats and if so what size hook do i go with?

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For circle hooks, i like the Owner super mutu in a 10/0. Can't say it'll get you more cats or not.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like my hooks around 9/0 if using j hooks. I would prefer 12/0 and up for circles. Had really good luck with 12/0 on my lines even with 1-2lb channel cats

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    With a bait that size I would use at least a 10/0. I don't know if circle hooks work on jugs or not. But I use Gamakatsu octopus circle and Eagle Claw circle hooks on rod and reel..

5. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    10/0 was what i was thinking of going to. All i use is circle hooks, both R&R and on my noodles.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i have settled on a 9/0 j hook. I tried 6/0 till i got a 38 lb'r and the hook was only caught behind his lower lip. never did stick him. just a lucky shot with the net got him in the boat. i went up to 12/0 to 16/0 for a couple of seasons and caught mostly 20 to 40 lb'rs then they passed the 34 inch limit. i settled on 9/0 and catch mostly 3# and above and they will handle the bigger fish.