Bigger flathead catfish mostly on the nest now?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mcseal2, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had read a few posts saying people are catching mostly small flats, under 8lbs the last few days, and this is what my freinds and I have been experiencing too. The mechanic who put new tires on our semi today said they had been running lines on a creek now for 3 days and their biggest flat was 7lbs. About half the flats they cleaned had eggs he said. I think the big fish are mostly spawning now, just wanted to get some more opinions. I am going fishing Friday and I am thinking about skipping the usual big bait, big fish tackle and channel cat fishing covering a bunch of water. Thanks for your input.

2. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Almost forgot, don't worry I will remember to take adequate supplies of ice cold liquid refreshment.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Heath, thats the last thing I wanted to hear. I just got back from a new bait hole. I got some primo bait. Ive got 15-20, 6-12 inch green sunfish. Most of these bad boys are around 10 inches, with a few bigger. Im really hoping to get on some big flatheads out west on the Kaw. Oh well, I guess Ill go anyway and see what happens. :big_smile:

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    What you are describing is a delicious dinner of deep fried golden brown sunfish fillets not bait bucket filler.We're headed that way tommorrow night will give you a report.:wink:

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    They won't all be on the nest at one time anyway, you should still go. I will be breaking my own rules if I don't have at least 1 rod out with big bait myself once it gets dark anyway. You will probably prove me wrong and hook a monster. I think I will just try to use a little sneak attack on the big flats and use little bait on a lighter rod, they always seem to know how to bite on the weakest link anyway.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    size of the bait aint that important always. i caught that 37 on a 3-4 in goldfish

7. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    They will still bite even if they are spawning.If you can find out where there spawning at.They rather bite what they feel is a threat to there eggs than chase it off.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah , we need a boat for that. Might be able to get some by the rocks.

9. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I was pretty close to some rocks in a riffle where I got a 30 pound flathead earlier tonight. Dont now if the Kaw has any big riffles like the verdigris or not, I also caught some sunnies earlier today for bait so I'll be on the bank till I run out of bait.

10. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I'd guess we are a week or so from peak. Water temps in the 80's now.

Channel Cat bite has really picked up on the Kaw the last couple weeks though:smile2:

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You seen any 20+ lb. flatheads out that way Bryan?

12. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know about up his way, but the last big one a friend of mine caught down from Wamego was 44lbs right at the muddy water line where a feeder creek meets the Kaw. That was the 26th They have dropped the Kaw quite a bit since then though, the blue river was releasing 8500cfs and now it is 5210. I have found the creeks are better when the river is rolling and they want out of the current. Good luck on your trip.

13. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Yeah, but none on my rods yet this year. :crazy:

I only set lines once a year, and caught some good ones in May. But I have not fished at night yet,this year with RR, so I can't complain:smile2:

14. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Tuttle is down to 2000 today, I believe. I go down and look every day, and it is getting pretty skinny out there!

They will bite in a couple days:wink:

15. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Saw a 65 lb. along with 200 lbs worth of small (5-10 lbs.) caught over the weekend- got a 55 and 40 myself last night. All from the Kaw- all on large bullhead or goldfish.

16. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    You had a heck of a night! Thanks for the info, they must not all be nesting yet. I will have to take some big bait after all.

17. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    We went out on the Kansas yesterday, got there about 2 and fished until the rain really set in right after dark. We were fishing logjams and rocks with cutbait and moving frequently, probably hit 25 spots and didn't have much luck. We caught 3 small flats, (2 like tuttlecat's fish he posted) a 3lb channel and a softshell. I really thought the bite would be better with the rain coming in. Anyone else do any good?

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Went to Eudora Thurs. night. Gary F. got a 8-10 lb. blue. Nothing else. Found some other good spots out there, and will be going back soon. :wink:

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS

You guys are true traveling fishermen :cool2:

20. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been known to travel all the way to Eudora too! LOL Actually its kinda nice to fish close to home. I don't have to drive a long way tired. :cool2: