Bigger Circle hooks for catfish

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Matthew72, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :confused2: I got some 5/0 red circles at wal-mart and now I want some bigger ones. I am gonna try some 10/0. What are your toughts on this?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks and have had great success with them. Keep the reel in gear and the fish will hook themselves, then just reel up, don't haul up on the rod when you detect a bite. I leave my rods in the holders and wait for the rod to flex for a sec or two then reel up. Another thing is do not hook the bait real deep with a circle hook. Keep the bait in such a way that keeps most of the hook exposed.

3. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    From what I been reading the 8/0's and 9/0's are the right size for bigger cats...

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I believe that if you are going to use a circle hook, this is correct. They are just the right size where even a 2 pound channel cat can get the hook in his mouth, but they are big enough that they can hook a big cat fairly well. I prefer J hooks when fishing for flatheads, but hey, its just me. Hope this helps.

5. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have used the 8/0 for everything from pan size to 10# channels. originally, i got 4/0, but have not noticed any difference in hook-ups since switching to 8/0

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    This helps a lot. Thanks Guys.

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use 8 0t most of the time not because its the size of choice but because i cant find 9 ot at any of the bait stores around me i could order them off the internet but im the type of guy that likes to hold something in my hands before i buy it

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I prefer the 7/0 sea circle but I think that is more by chance than choice, my dad was an avid saltwater guy and that what he used so like father like GOOD son.:big_smile:

9. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I will get 8/0 then. I can't get anything larger that 5/0 at walmart but I will go to the bait shop and get 8/0.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like 8/0 Gama. Octopus Circle, They're Really Sharp But I Also Like Eagle Claw 8/0 Octopus Circle, You Can Buy Twice As Many For Almost The Same Price. I Get Mine At Catfish Connection. You Can Catch Small Or Large Cats On An 8/0 hook.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I started with 3/0 and now I use mainly 6/0 7/0 and 8/0. I still use the smaller ones when I fish in a small lake near me. I use the smaller ones because some of the cats in there are too small to even eat, but I still like to catch and release them, and there is no way they could get one of the big hooks in their mouth.