Bigger Bait debate

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by lforet2002, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Was reading an article about a scientific study on flatheads predation potential..Basically the scientist took measurements of the fishes mouth gape and length to determine what size bait it could take..They came up with a chart and a 47.2 " long flatty can pretty much eat anything it wants..

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thats why in the fall i like BIG live baits like 24in redhorse suckers , Big goldfish,big bullheads 12 in plus , and gills ya would take to the frying pan lol might not get a lotta bites in a night but i will surely take one 40plus lb fish over three 10lb fish anynight

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont dissagree that they will hit them huge baits but they will hit a 5 inch jus as it would a 12 inch bait, and by using bait so large you loose hookups unless you got 2 big hooks

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    size matters !!!:eek:oooh:

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I went flathead fishin' this weekend and caught nothing but channels, biggest was 13#, all on 5 and 6 inch bluegills. I never thought a 3# channel could get a 6 inch gill down. I will be using bigger baits this week.

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I dont target flatheads (never have) but I do use live bream and shinners small one for channel but just wondering how do you guys rig a 12 inch bait?:eek:oooh:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They can eat anything they want but almost all of the big fish I've ever caught and hooked have been on small(sometimes really small) cutbait. I also have caught little 2 or 3lb flatheads on some big bluegills.

8. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When I was in school, some friends caught a channel that was about 8 pds. We took it back to the school for a lab class in order to ID what type of things it was eating. It had a red horse sucker inside the stomach that was 2" longer then half the length of the channel.

I have also seen a 10# blue with a long nose gar that it tried to swallow. The gar was longer than the blue cat. I pulled the remainer of the gar out of the fish, but I think this blue was one its last leg after the gar was stuck for so long. The gar was pretty much rotten on the inside and starting to rot on the outside.

I think if it is hungy enough, they will eat just about anything.

9. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    I like to rig mine right behind the top fin and place them baits with a small canoe or john boat with a trolling motor then go back and sit on the bank. 10/0 king kahles and 12/0 big river hooks do the trick nicely just cant hook them as deep in the flesh is all but i have faith in them and i will continye to use them as long as they produce fish for me now this big ol bait thing olny works well for me in aug,sept,and oct, sometimes nov . weather permiting lol hope this help yall out ...sniper

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is still important to remember that just because something has the potential to eat a large bait does not mean it will have the preference to eat a large bait.

11. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    True but in the early fall and late fall i have allways done better with BIG OL BAITS and it also helps keep the smaller channel cats off of them. we dont have to all agree we just have to use what we have had luck with is all

12. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    how to rig big baits I like to rig mine right behind the top fin and place them baits with a small canoe or john boat with a trolling motor then go back and sit on the bank. 10/0 king kahles and 12/0 big river hooks do the trick nicely just cant hook them as deep in the flesh is all but i have faith in them and i will continye to use them as long as they produce fish for me now this big ol bait thing olny works well for me in aug,sept,and oct, sometimes nov . weather permiting lol hope this help yall out ...sniper