Bigger Bait, = Bigger fish????

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Biluecat, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Biluecat

Biluecat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Drifting in School Creek area at Milford Lake, Using fresh shad, I was givin an Idea by my Brother that some guys are catching Goldeneye with shad then using then for bait 5-6" in length.
    I know that just using shad in approx. 40 ft of water will produce 3-6 lb cats all day long.. with an occasional big boy!
    I'm Gonna give it a try next weekend, still haven't caught my really big one yet this year... Maybe I'll leave the camera at home to appease the Catfish Gods..... that'll work!! LOL!!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    To me, bait size is not all that important. If you get the bait close enough to the fish he will eat it. If you dont want smaller fish at all then use a bigger bait. Myself, I'll use smaller to medium sized baits and catch cats big and small.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I DO NOT believe in the big bait = big fish theory, my biggest flatheads have come off of bait 4-6 inches in size, a cut shad head and a 4 inch bluegill...

big bait does = less bites for me though... Just my 2 cents

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think bait size is only good if your after big fish as that will keep the smaller ones off sometimes
    but like kyle said smaller baits catch alittle of everything
    i catch bass and channels and flatheads in my river when i use small baits so tend to use 6-8inch baits to try to keep the bass away and some of the smaller channels away

just my 2 cents

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I've caught 4lb flattey's on 12in live gizzard shad.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree. I have caught some of my smallest flatheads on the biggest baits and some of my biggest flats on my smallest baits. The fish in my avatar was caught on a 4 inch sunfish. He could have easily swallowed a 1 lb bait. Put any good bait in front of a big fish and most often they will eat it.

7. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have caught big and little cats on small bait and large bait.It can also depend on what bait you are using.For flathead I prefer big bait,for channel I use a dip bait on a small tube or sponge.