Bigfoot Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by ozzy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    This past sunday I hooked into a carp of a lifetime. I was fishing the local pond with Corn Tortillas as usual. I was chewing the fat with a few locals, Mostly retired folk which we gather and drink coffee and talk about things which our women would shake there heads at. Anyways my rod takes off and I know its a biggun. I'm using a Diawa BeefRod, might as well call it a broomstick. I have 30# braided line with a 30# mono leader. I fight this thing for about 10 minutes before the hook pulls. :crazy: Never saw color but I know this baby was at least 35-40 pounds.

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can feel your angst my friend. I have hooked one that I can only assume was a monster last march at the Steam plant in TN, a.k.a carp heaven in the early months. I had already banked 2 and while doing a side by side pic of a 14lb buff and 12lb common my 3rd rod took off. I hooked into a fish that would not turn on my Lightning rod and abu 6000 (same setup that brought in my 33lb carp) and I swore I hooked a train headed south. After about a 50yard run it cut left and went another 50yards or so under the interstate bridge and in seconds it cut off. 4 other quality carpers have hooked into beasts in thi stretch of river that never turn, one guy caught a glimpse of a fish he believes went high 30's. The biggest I have hooked and lost was without a doubt a HUGE grass carp in the local pond. It was the biggest fish I have laid eyes on and i have a 39lb catfish that I caught. I went in the water when the net knocked out the hook but I couldn't beat it in its environment.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you dont wanna take those grass carp out of a pond. they need em in there to keep it clean. JMO.

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't worry about any fish I catch. They all get CPR'd. I even have the carp landing mats and other things to take care of them while they are out. I have caught and released many grass carp and they are excellent for a ponds ecosystem. Also, when they are out of the water you must hold tight or they will kill themselves.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They can be a fiesty little creature. I landed my 28 lb on Shimano Sonora 4000 with a Shimano Stimula rod. It was a gentle tug, tug then I just heard the drag screaming......:ah:. After the initial excitment i knew he wasn't fooling around. He went left then right and then back out. I knew he wanted to go underneath or close to the bridge I appllied a little pressure and let off. He turned directions again. I thought I had lost it for about two seconds but he made a daring run straight at me(on bank). It took four us to pick him up from the water it was fun. Im sure you will get him next time makes good practice if ever land my 40lb + flathead that I want....

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I hear ya on that. I catch and release them. I would rather fight them another day. Thanks