Bigfish Boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigfish, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i bought a 16' john boat. cant think of any thing priced as low as plywood to make the floor and deck out of. i know that wood and water dont mix. so after lots of phone calls i found this stuff called marine polyester resin. the store owner told me when i put this on i would never have to replace the wood. now forever is a long time, but if this stuff will last 3 or 4 years that will be good enough for me. any thoughts on this stuff. but my main ? is he said not to waste my money on slip proof pain for final coat. he said to throw sand in final coat of resin. thoughts on this. next would it be best to paint wood first for my color and put resin on top, or put paint on last.

Attached Files:

2. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I put a wooden floor in my 18ft jonboat five years ago and I did not put any thing on the wood and it looks just as good as the day I put it down. (I just bought treated plywood)

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for replying so quick rivercat2. i already bought the resin $39 a gallon. but he told me i wouldnt have to buy treated. so i guess it will come out the same $ wise just a little more work painting the stuff on. so you dint put anything on to keep it from getting slick.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I hope you got a a 100% gaurantee in writing that your floor would never rot using polyester resin.
    We've all seen boats that are expensive when bought new with rotted out floors within the first 10 years of life.
    The reason is simple. The fiberglass boat manufacturers use polyester resin when laying glass which is what should be used.
    Instead of spending more money to correctly encapsulate the wood flooring with epoxy they use what they have on hand which is polyester resin. Not to mention I've ripped floors out only to find that the glue they used to glue the carpet down etched into the polyester resin.:confused:

Fact: Polyester resin does not adhere to wood worth a flip.
    Fact: Polyester resin is brittle
    Fact: Polyester resin is not water proof, in fact , is far from being waterproof. It will actually absorb water.

The store owner you bought from knows about as much about the resin he is selling as you did when you bought it or either he knows you dont know and took advantage of you for a sale.

There are numerous posts on this site dealing with wood in boats and the proper methods of making sure that wood floor will be a part of your boat for a long long time.

Marine plywood. All I have to say here is , sure its fine if you dont mind the weight. You buy it full of water and in a boat it will stay full of water.
    Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon.
    If you try to encapsulate "wet" treated ply you are insuring a problem of wet rot down the road.

The ONLY way I would use treated ply in a boat is to buy the plywood and rack it up for drying for months until the moisture content got down to that of untreated ply before I put anything on it , including paint or epoxy.

Its a classic example of pay me now or pay me triple later.

5. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    if it was me i'd leave it like it is and just enjoy it, the more weight you add to it the less portable it becomes, and way less headaches later on

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is nothing wrong with wood in a boat AS long as you install wood the right way.
    If you you are too cheap or cant afford to do it the right way , when you can afford it, it will cost you 3 times as much not counting your time to fix it.

I'd rather have a wood boat then any other kind of boat made.
    There are no surprises. You know what you got.

An old scallopper once told me about wooden boats and that he preferred a wooden trawler. His saying.

"If it stops creaking, get off, it's going down"
    You cant beat a built in alarm system.

7. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    "Markj" couldn't have said it better, polyester will soak up water. I found this out when I built my first "duck" boat. Polyester has a strange habit called "outgassing," air bubbles. All epoxies will out gas, but polyester gets serious about it and it's harder to work with. For good information type "epoxy" in about any search area and it will bring up several distributors. Did that salesperson tell you polyester will check if left in the sun (fishing boat????)?? Those checks are actually in the wood and they will create voids under the resin, water traps.

Another solution is to use MDO board, you only have to seal the edges and you can paint anti-skid directly to it. MDO is what many hiway depts make signs out of. Someone else said use "treated" plywood, works great, I use "four layer" "CCA" (it really isn't CCA) for the loose floor in my "duck" boat. I've used the "CCA" in several boats over the years, some are over ten years old and the wood is worn around the edges, but it's still there. Main thing paint some anti-skid on it, it will precluded some nasty falls.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I spent a little more and got a thin sheet of aluminum. cost a little more now but it will be there for ever.

That being said, we used to use plywood forms to pour concrete. we got a good oilbased outdoor paint and went over the EDGES two or three times. Then we put one coat on the flat sides and they literally lasted 7-8 years or more. we stored them outdoors and the Louisiana weather (WET HUMID) did very little damage.

That being said, (I say that alot), invest in a good tarp or boat cover if you cannot keep the boat out of the rain. Make sure it is open enough for the humidity to get out or it will sweat and rain under your tarp.

That being said HEHEHE yes I have mixed sand in my paint and it works pretty good. keep stirring as you paint to keep it mixed.

Good luck and leave some fish for the rest of us!

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Just an FYI. My 13 yr old and I were in line at Acadamy a while back. He said it was going to take forever to check out. I timed it, forever is 16 and a half minutes. I know.;) Jim;)

10. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    (BigFish) No I did not put anything on the plywood. It dont have a promblem with it getting slick.

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Bigfish, ya might try talkin' to your local High School Shop Teacher and see if they have any alum. they would let go of. I got a really sweet deal at our local High school pretty much for free, they used my boat for a class project and got a grade. Now I have a alum. floor and a alum. deck. Give'em a try it can't hurt to ask.

12. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for all the info everyone. hey mark j, not to cheap, dont have a lot of money but not working on shoestring either. this is my first boat. all last year fished out of buddies boat, so this marina we use has almost anything, so i call him and ask if he had anything to waterproof plywood. he tells me that all i need is this marine polyester resin. now my ignorance may have cost me $39, if i cant return it. although i am only trying to get 2 maybe 3 years out of this boat before i buy 18' grizzley from tracker. this is why im not trying to put to much into this one. probably just give boat away when done with it. mark j i realy do appreciate the info will do a little more investigating on marine polyester resin, before i try taking it back. i dont mind buying your product, but not to many things make me upset more than being told it will do something that it wont.

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    bigfish, i found that the best part of any baot project is the personal satisfaction of catching a fish out of something that me and the kids did together. No matter what you do it is the best boat you have and be proud of it! I had more fun I think out of the bathtub with a bail bucket:cool:

titelines!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    bigfish, You arent the first brother and will be far from the last.
    99%Of the sales floor guys at boat dealerships and marinas have no clue what it is they are selling off the shelves.
    But today we are lucky, there is enough information on both products on the internet to keep you busy reading for weeks if you wanted to.

Mountain Cur brought up a good point that I also did in another thread and that is checking.
    Fir and pine whether it is plywood or solid wood will check. It doesnt materr if you use polyester or epoxy the checking process is going to breach the coating. The only way I know to prevent it is to lay glass or dynel on the wood. It could be as lightweight as a 2 oz. cloth.

Now there are alternatives like Nidacore that are lightweight and strong. For 1/2' thickness the price can be anywhere from 80.00 - 230.00 dollars depending on if you are buying prefinished or unfinished.
    With carelful planning and layout of cuts Nidacore in some situations could be a competitive or even cheaper way of flooring a boat.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey Mark I have a question. I am thinking of redoing my 1654 side console Jon. Cuurently it has a front "deck/seat" area that I would like to expand with storage underneath. It has a middle seat riveted or welded with floatation that I would like to remove so I can fashion a Rodlocker for my 10 rods or so. If I take out that center seat, will that affect the rigidity of my boat even though I plan to expand the front deck to pretty close to the front edge of the existing seat?
    Also you said there are many posts as to the plywoods that should be used, could you reference a few for me or just tell me what would be the lightest and most effective including thickness that is light yet strong. I am just planning a weekend job using 1x2's and plywood and maybe a little indoor outdoor carpet, nothing fancy.

Thanks,
    Shawn

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    BTW I am looking to be a little lightweight as I have a 40hp jet and do fish some shallow areas.

17. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey mark j, just finished looking up polyester resin on internet. you were absolutly right. i am so glad i posted my plans, before i did any work. i wish i posted before i bought that stuff. the first article i read was enough to convince me i dont want to use that stuff. so now if he wont take this stuff back i was wondering if i could mix color in it and paint the outside of the boat with it, or would it just pill off. so mark you have told me what not to treat plywood with, what do you say would be best to treat with.

18. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I talked to a bass fisherman that put a deck in his boat. He used a new kinda "weather proof" wood that they are making decking out of. Kinda space aged tech, that is real lite, waterproof and last forever. You don't have to put anything on it. Just thought I would share.

19. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well not sure if any one is still loking at this, but i took my boat on the water today to see if it had any major leaks that needed attention. no leaks, and weight will not be an issue for my boat. will be taking mark j's advice and putting 2oz glass over my wood. i loaded a peice of galvanized sheeting {i thought about using} a peice of 1/2 in ply on top of that. then i had ducains 15hp johnson in the boat in case mine died {was having carb trouble} pluss ducain and i. and my little 20hp merc pushed it throught the water just fine for me. one problem with my motor though, for some reason i dont have reverse. and what i thought was a carb problem, is not but i do need to know where to start looking. it started acting up, something caused to feel the prime bulb it was soft. pumped it a couple of times the motor smoothed right out, little bit later bulb was soft again and motor started sputtering. so can anyone tell me what is causing this. bulb and line are brand new.

20. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like you got an air leak somewhere. Check around your fittings and tank cap.