BIG WINTER CHANNEL BAIT

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 9, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    DO SOME OF YOU OUT THERE CHANGE BAITS AS THE SEASONS CHANGE

IM THINKING ALONG THE LINE OF CUT CARP,SHAD ECT.....

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    YEP! LOL! Out here when the water gets cold I'm talkin below 50 I will go with smaller baits. The channels seem to get lazy and they shy away from things that are large. JMO. In the spring and fall they will eat darn near anything. LOL! When chasein channels ya best have a few things to offer. When I go out for em its a minimum of 4 different baits. :cool2:

3. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Always heard to go with the more oily type baits in the colder weather, Cut bait, etc, . They same the fish use it to help survive the colder water. Never confirmed if it's true or not.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Bait, Bait size, and presentation all have to change as the temps go down. Now I am not one to claim expertise, but the smaller baits are the most effective. You also have to change bait more often, fresh bait is key. Keep the bait closer to the bottom so that the fish have to move less. You are not going to get too many bait chasers in cold weather.

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I agree that it's best to have options. Sometimes it seems they want different baits at different times of day, not to mention from season to season.

My opinion: match the hatch. Catfish tend to key in on whatever is available, especially when there's a lot of a particular food. Keep an eye on the different food sources when you're fishing. During the frog migration in the fall, frogs are the hot bait. When the mulberries are dropping, that's the hot bait. When the suckers or shad are running, that's what I'll use. And when it's really hot out, I go with dip bait or chicken guts.

In the winter, I like to use a couple minnow heads or wax worms on a jigging spoon... though I'm fishing through the ice, and that might be a bit different than your situation.

6. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always use the same baits year round without any problems, but if im using dip baits i mix in some veggy oil and transferr the bait from its plastic container to an empty cleaned out coffee can and take my torch with me to heat it up and get it good and goopy even when its 15 degrees out lol.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i know skip jack works in the winter.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have caught a lot of channels over 10 lbs. And I would say over 55% are from cut skipjack in the winter time.Then 20% off a cheese foam bait. Then the other 25% off red worms or crickets.. Yes a small cricket is killer on channels in the winter time. Even one 15+ lbs will eat them up.
    Now if I am fishing Shad Guts, The channels will go after them. But unless I have a lot left over in the freezer there out in the winter time.. If you can get shad guts they are killer in any time of the year on channels.
    My best channels have came off cut skipjack and on a drop that is part of the old river channel. It drops from 15ft to 45 ft about straight down. But has rock shelfs sticking out. And when you drop down on one of these. They hit like a freight train.
    Not sure what water your fishing, but if it floods and covers a slope or flat with grass or leaves.... Fish it with worms.. The channels love to move on the grass or cleaner woods. And eat the worms and other stuff in the ground there.
    We have a second bank here on a lot of spots. Where at normal pool, the water does not get up on it. But in the winter time, let the water get 3ft or more on them. And the channels flood these spots. Most are mowed and grass is at most 6" tall. Theres tons of channels on these flats then.
    Pete

9. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    LeRoy the lake I fish around here is a thermal lake. It's a cooling lake for an electric powerplant so the water temp remains warm throughout the year. I have the best success there using fresh chicken livers, Sonny's dip baits and minnows.
    My biggest channel from that lake came from a large live :smile2:minnow hooked under the dorsal fin.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    small bass minnows work well for channels also smaller pieces of chicken liver is good also i use red catfish on the liver to make them more active fish near log jams and near bridges deep hole near the bottom myself rick

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is some great information.

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I used cut up chunks of bluefish its very oily and smelly channels seem to like it ,shrimp is a favorite of mine ,I'm considering using omega3 fish oil pills on my bait pop a hole in it squeeze a drop or 2 and there ya go:wink:

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    readingcatfisher bunker oil will do the same thing.

when the water gets below 40 i use small chunks of bluefish or mackeral and dip them in bunker oil. also fish mud flats on the southern side of the river because they warm faster than the northern side.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If you have a good freeze and has killed some baitfish in your area,as you can sometimes find along banks.:smile2:Bro!

Match the winter killed baitfish....you can also mimic the kill by catching whatever type whether it be shad,chubs etc.. put in a jar with about 1/2-1" water in it ,put the lid on and tighten ,but not all the way ,to let gases escape,,,and bury it,,put it under the house, or any place that is dark and cold..wait 2-3 weeks and go FISH,,These very stinky/semi soft ( winter Killed ) baitfsh will absolutely ware channels out!!:wink:

If you have wind blowing,fish the wind blown banks, Fishing small weighted slip rigs with #1 Octopus with a chunk or a whole bait ;cast up to the edge and work your bait slowly back down into deeper water, once you find one you have found their feeding hole..:wink:

Naturally the wind forces the winter killed baitfish toward the bank,THUS causing a undertow of current and causes the bait fish to sink and travel down the bottoms incline..and thats what you will be trying to imitate. Fishing what the fish are accustom too! Natures way!!..If you find them you will smoke them i guarantee it.:cool2: Kenny.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great info Kenney! Makes a whole lot of Sence.:wink:

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    The thing that works for me at this time of the year are
    med size minnows with some scent of some kind on them
    (fished close or on the Bottom)

&
    "smaller pieces" of cut bait
    (mackerel, anchovies, sardines etc.....).
    and when I say small - I mean 1/2 Squares, there not going to go far after a meal & when a meal come there way, they like I small at this time on the year.
    (less work for them)
    :wink:

18. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    hey shiloh do you use any scent on the crickets?

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    perfect information

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I agree with everyone . I stopped getting hits on my big baits a few weeks back, switched to small bait and they been killin it.

I still tend to use the same baits as always but instead I'm using 1" or less fresh cut bait. Water temp here is 47* give or take.