Big Tuna

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by beaneye46, Feb 1, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    has anyone ever gone out and caught those 1000 pound tuna
    i thinks that would be pretty cool, and can you eat them?

2. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Used to go to the L.I. Tuna Rodeo and watch the tournament weigh in. I have seen them out on the water but was never equipped to go for them.
    As for eating,they have no competition for taste.The Japanese pay up to $8.00 a pound for them in the round.Just the fins and gills cut out.
    They are a common sight in the summer just outside of the Long Island Sound.Schools cover miles of water.

BILL

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Bean, My father used to work on a fishing boat. They had an 800# tuna on the lead line. The fish ran and pulled a #12 hook through my dads hand, pulled him off the boat and down about a hundred feet before he got free. Haven't wanted to chase one since. I'll stick to charlie tuna:) . But I guess if you were strong enough to handle 1000 lbs. it'd be great. Better drink a redbull, LOL.

Matt

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Those giant bluefin tuna are something else. Out here on the west coast can't catch them on rod&reel; oceans are too deep. The only ones who catch them are commercial fisherman.
    Matt, your dad is one lucky guy, topulled 100 ft and not get the bends or worst drown.

Jaime

5. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    A guy was pulled down by a giant bluefin in Morehead City about a year ago. He was fishing stand-up gear and I guess lost his balance as the seas were kinda heavy and went overboard. Tuna pulled him down to the depths before he could get his harness off. Sad story. Left a wife and 2 kids behind. :sad:

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I can say this. You have not had tuna untill you have had fresh tuna on the bar b q! Canned tuna dont even come close! One of my favorites is grilled tuna with eggs over easy and country potatoes and some whole grain toast! Oh man!

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I checked out a tuna charter guides website the other day and noticed they have rules when it comes to catching giant bluefins. Any of the giant bluefins that are caught belong to the boat. The person(s) who have booked the trip will recieve 1/3 of the market price of the fish. The guide service said they have gotten over $10,000 for a single fish ,if market conditions are right.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have not ventured into that kind of Tuna fishing, however I would like to go after the 300-400 pound class yellowfin Tuna off baja. That is one of my dream trips there. I do not want to even think about battling a tuna bluefin especially in the 1000 pound range. I would have to be strapped down for real on the seat with about 3 others guys as well. LOL. No way stand up style for that.

Delta I agree with you on the grilled Tuna. Albacore and bluefin are excellent on teh grill. I can not wait until I get my hands on some this summer. I have a few overnighters planned for the tuna.

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i also agree with grilled tuna! if your lucky and catch a wahoo or 2 and a few dolphin fish along and grill them up to and your in heaven.

yea i dont like stand up gear because you are perminitly conected to the fish. thats why you ethier go with the sit down or go for smaller fish, lol. would love to go after those huge fish but never had the chance to oh well maybe one day.

10. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I WENT OUT LAST YEAR,GOT 2 NICE SIZED.SOLD 1 FOR ENUFF TO PAY FOR MY TRIP.Fishing from the Atlantic Highlands in NJ cost about $250.00.Delawareriver want to go with me in the fall?I take 2 days off from work to go.Gear rental is about $25.00. Figure $300 for the trip! i will drive :grin-big: :grin-big:

11. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    You sure know how to fish and to eat also!!:)

12. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa