Big truck or small truck

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by catman37, Dec 13, 2006.

1. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im thinking about buying a truck(older used not new)and was trying to decide which to get,a small fuel saving 4 cylinder or a full size truck w a v8 in it. which do you guys prefer and why.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It ain't a truck unless it has an 8 foot bed. LOL! Take into consideration haulin capacity and towin. Big part of the decision process.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well I have had a Toyota truck 4 cyl., now have a RAV4. The RAV is much better for me, as it can haul and keep it dry. Any bigger trucks have always hurt my legs, unless I sit on them, put them at my side in the seat, or drive them for long. As short as I am, someone once looked at my feet and laughed. I said, what is it? "I was just wonderin' how you walk with such little feet." :big_smile:

Well most times, I could out walk them, out stand them, and just wear them out. Go figure, seems bigger feet get tired sooner? :tounge_out:

Anyway, the short bed Chevys are my favs, but I won't ever own one for the reasons I stated above, plus my Dr. says for your back, you should own a vehicle that you can just slide into. No falling in the seat from being so low to the ground, or so high you have to climb in it. I try to listen to the doctors, who knows? They might keep me alive a few more years.

Take care.
    Cheryl

Take care.
    Cheryl

*********disclaimer************sorry for ramblin', again.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

catman I have had both and will agian shortly. The smaller truck, GMC Sonoma SLS, is great on gas and has a six cylinder motor so it is quick enough and can tow a small load. I will be getting a full size to pull the wifes new pontoon boat, yes it will be hers; for awhile. I need to pull the camper (18 footer) also. It tries to "push" the little truck and it just doesn't seem very safe. So like you I will be getting an older truck with a 350.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like a full size truck. I'm trying to cut down to one truck that will do everything I need. I recently went on disability so I'm shutting down my weld shop.

I just last month picked up a 2000 Ford 250 SuperDuty Cab and a Half 4X4 with that 5.4 gas Triton motor off of Ebay. I reallily like it. It has a manual granny gear 5 speed and 4wheel shifter on the floor with lock out hubs. I think this truck will do what I need to do. Those newer smaller V8 gas motors have quite a bit of zip. I just took it to MA about 1700 miles round trip and got about 14 mpg or so. I was running about 65 to 70 mph.

Even with my shop closed I need a truck that can take a truck camper and pull my boat. I need a strong truck to haul hay and grain for our critters. Right now it has two 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 8 foot bales on it. It looks silly with 2 - 900 lb bales on it as not many people here in Indiana have went to these rectangular bales. This is the first time I've got them too.

I don't need to insure and buy plates for two or three trucks any more. I just need one that can handle what I need.

Get what you need. Fords, Chevys, GMCs, and Dodges all make good trucks. I've never had a forigen one. My nephew had an Issuzo [spelling wrong] and it was a great little 4x4. When we would go camping in TN, it was a little horse getting around those hills gathering camp firewood. Man it was low geared. This Ford I got is the same way, low geared, a real horse.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Get a front wheel drive mini van... its all enclosed, you can pop out the seats to make a camper out of it.... hall stuff inside, on top, and you can pull boats with it too. Yes, the make hitches for them. I had mine 13 yrs and cant complain...

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Gary,gotta narrow it down...what will you be using it for and how much will you drive it?

I have an old f-250 with a 460 v-8,it will do anything I ask of it except pass a gas staion,parts and tires get pricey also.I don't think I put more than 1,000 miles on it last year,the lake is only 2 miles away.

A older chevy with a 350,or 6cyl. 300 ford might be a good compromise

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Like others have stated, I would only get as big of engine as you need, dont overdo it, I have an older F-250, 5.8 ltre 360, and it gets about 10mpg!! Only reason we use it is to pull the horses around somewhere and occaisionaly Ill putit into 4 wd, and take into my woods and fill it with firewood. It a farm truck so we beat and abuse it.

Now if i didnt have to pull 5000 lbs worth of horses Id definately go for the Ford quad cabs which can still haul 4 folks, has a 6 ft bed, and have 4wd, then I could use it everyday with milage near 16-18, If I could get away with a 6 cyl, smaller truck, I would but it s not what I nee a truck for.

A buddy has a 2 wd Ford ranger and its useless, everytime we go somehwere, even on dry ground I end up pushing us out or sitting on top of the drive wheel for weight.

If it even thinks of snowing were you live or you ever take it onto dirt, you better get 4wd!! And a king cab/or extra area with a jump seat is a must for space and carrying stuff without having it bounce all around the bed. My full size Ford, can only haul a 6 ft rod inside and I have to put the longer rods in the bed and i hate that part.

SUV's can be picked up really cheap now, I just bought a 94 Explorer in mint condition with 109K, loaded, leather, 4wd for 2200 bucks. Its my fishing car now since it gets about 16-18 MPG.

Salmonid

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Depends on what you want it for....right. I mean if your going to buy a truck..buy a truck! Bigger the better, get more use pulling, hauling and space. If none of that comes into play and you want fuel economy..getta a u-go..Im picking..lol...like I said depends on what you're going to use it for.

I personally like a full size truck.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    My lil Toy 4X4 finally bit the dust after 278,000 miles. I miss it but I bought a used Chev Silverado with the 8 foot bed and the 3.4 liter V6. Drives great and has great fuel economy. Doesn't have the 4 wheel drive which I might miss but hardly ever used it in the Toy so who knows.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    here is an idea that no one has hit on yet. Get a full size truck that can get just as good of milage as a small one.

two words ----Dodge Diesel

If you get a 1990-1993 dodge diesel, 2wd, manual and put some larger than stock tires on the back (33's-35's) after you figure up the change in gear ratio becuz of tire size, you will be getting between 24-30mpg. That is stock with larger tires.

If you do some slight performance mods like air filter and removing muffler then you will gain some more power and mpg. Power will be no issue either since i pulled 28' fully loaded cattle trailer with one of these for a couple years.

One more thing, if u decide that you want an extreme amount of power outta these trucks, then it just takes $8 worth of tools to "turn it up!!!"

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What ever you do get a long box. I don't know how many times I have seen people with short box pickups fill the back with plywood, take off at the first intersection and lose the hole load in the middle of the road.
    All because the bed is to short to close the end gate.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One of the trucks I replaced was a 91 Dodge diesel 4x4 that we have had since 91. It was a good truck, rides rough as hell though. Those had leaf springs all the way around. Ride means something as you get older. The newer trucks --- 3/4 and 1 tons ride sweet. lol

14. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    78 Ford, my uncle has had one since it was new. He never had a prolem with it exccept minor things that should be replaced after time anyway. the suspension on it is the same as the day he bought it and he uses it on his ranch.

15. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I havent owned a small truck sence my 1976 Chevy LUV,
    I'm like Amy, bigger the better, hauls all my gear no problem. I have a full size Ford with a cab high camper shell. Works good for me. But it's gotta fit your needs

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Sadly I just took my full size Ford F150 to the junkyard last week. I sure will miss it. I don't know how I'm gonna haul stuff now. If I ever get another truck, which I hope I do, it will be full size!

17. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    :too_sad: this just aint right...ya makin me miss my truck.

'86 Chevy K5 Silverado (red & creme colored) purty chrome accents. Removable back top, back seat lets down flat, 305 vortex v-8, warren lock in/outs on front 4wd, drop hitch with my own personal 10' trailer painted red to match...Arghh, Arghh, was my independence..didnt need to wait on a man to help me do nothin...used to haul hayrides, and lots other things was great for campin, had my own Honda fourtrax 4x4 4 wheeler to go with it....hadda great setup....dang hard times, hadda sell it all....couldnt afford to run it back and forth to work @ $60 a week, not countin runnin around.:sad_2a:

18. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Don't RAM it... POWERSTROKE IT!!!!!!

I've got a 99 F250 superduty crew cab 4X4 with 298,000 miles on it. This truck has done everything I asked it to do on & offroad and still runs great. If you want a toy truck go to walmart and get you a hotwheels. Depending on your needs, I'd get a fulls size with a diesel.

19. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ive got a small Toyota pickup four banger and would trade it for anything in the world, plus I have a Ford f150 for hauling. I will always have a small truck for the efficiency and a larger on for hauling. Just my 2 cents worth.

WHeelmobile07

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've been looking for 90-93 3/4 ton dodge diesel 4x4 for years!!
    Wish i could have bought that one from u!