Big trout in the lower Kings river

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by Capt Steve, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Did you guys see the artical in the Fresno Bee about the 3 to 10lb trout being planted this winter?

big rainbows

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for post Steve...

I drift for trout at the Reedley bridge in june.... I'll be looking for a "left over" when I'm up there this season....

go get em, that is nice water below the dam area.

bayrunner ray

3. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Thanks for posting the article. I knew that they were planting some big trout but didn't know the specifics. I do agree that the amount of anglers really has picked up.

Orchardhills

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome Bob to the BOC. Trout been hitting at the mouth of big creek. Buddy just caught 21 on the 30th. They camped over night.

5. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    That is crazy! If I can free up some time this weekend I might head up that way. Thanks for the tip.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I may head out there Sat or Sun. Try sm minnows on a bobber :wink: Maybe I will see you out there.

7. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Thank you very much for the tips. I just wish that I can give some tips of my own. You guys already know how to fish Mendota so I'm no help there. LOL!

Orchardhills

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    you be surprised how much info brother that you will learn from here and there and no time be helping. I bet ifwe fished together, i would leave learning something. Great thing bout fishing. We are blessed to be here in the valley. Alot of great fishing spots all around and a few hours away too and deep sea. I think this is the awesome part of BOC and I never see it on other fish sites. I guess it is more than just fishing ut getting togrther and the fellowship as well. I also like those alone fishing trips and I get plenty of them. Not as many these last few years but I certainly anit complaining. Met some invaluable friends and caught some nice fish. I have learned a lot form here. Stilll looking forward to learning more which increases the fishing catch ratio.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Robb, Ive spent to much time on the "alone trips" up on the Kings... My water ski buddies would sleep in as I creeped out into the Kings with the trolloing motor and fired up the big engine when out of the lagoon. Lindys landing is just 1/4 mile off mountain view, 15 miles up from "Riverland". I have taken my boat to the rapids just below hwy 180... some 20 miles... There are a lot of folks "floating" from Manning ave south on the river to the Reedly Park as the take out point.... They stock trout at the Reedly bridge, and fishing there is good with the drift and trolling motor for control.
    My Main fishing there is the "SMALLIES" that are there, ole "BRONZE BACKS" that are "kickass" fun and not to may folks even notice me fishing at all...... There are good size Large mouth Bass, but with the flooding that they have had there the river fish has changed.... especially with all the PWC and studpid people who mess with the vegatation on the side of the river.

I can't wait to get up there in June when they let out more water.... knee deep one day, and the next day it is "full on waterskiing" deep. Been going their for 25 plus years.....one of my buddies catches a week of good water... with out the PWC just prior to school letting out.

I'll be looking for the "left over 3-10 trout" that has been planted.... It sure would be nice if they ever really bring the KINGS and the SAN JOAQUIN back to the Steelhead and salmon water that it use to be.....

bayrunner ray

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ray, while in high school, my buddies and i would float past winton and all the way down past reedley beach. We would tie together with ice chest in the middle. Rest is history:cool2: Did my first trout fishing in high school. Friend Robert Jones took me all the time up at huntinton, shaver and all those creeks up there. Dad only fished one way. Sinker on the bottom with 2 loops and hooks (i guess it called a surf leader) One bait was always worms. lol I still fish one pole like that when I fish:lol: Went Trout fishing for the fist time since 84. Fished on x-mas eve. Caught my limit and was sold on trout fishing:tounge_out:

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I think the surf rig is nice rig to buy and then modify it some....California...legal two hooks.....
    Can be used for cat fishing too. Just tie in snelled hooks to the main line.... I like to use a film canister to put the bait/weight in off the bottom.
    I make it work by drilling/punching a hole in the top of the snapcap top, and then put in a cotter pin with a swivel attached. drill some holes in the side to allow the stuff inside to ooze out ... like a glob of power bait... but place lead in there for the weight also...down size the hooks.... and leader.... go back to 3/4lb or 2 lb..... use worms on one hook (trebble gold) and something else on the other hook.... This is good if your out to get some MEAT
    I really like simple rigs the best.... but if you've got to put out two poles.... experiment a bit.

Nothing beats a 4lb rig and a rooster tail in my in my boat.... go bigger maybe 6lb..... but for river trout I like the the spinning pole and 4lb.

All that other stuff is like "taking a shower with your clothes on"

bayrunner ray

12. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Floating down the Kings...oh the memories. I grew up in Reedley. I live in Dinuba which is only 7 minutes from Reedley. I haven't been to the beach in years. We used to float at least 3 times a week when I was in high school and college. We tried fishing while floating but the ice chests always were our priority:0a1:

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I hear ya Bob... leaving from Manning ave. is a time commitment... need lots of refreshment.... I started there with simple floats, 3-man for wife and I, and the kids were on their own... found it was better to motor up and meet everyone, and then fish my way down..... Flippin for bass and rooster tails for trout... Been to Dinuba.. many times to look for boat parts for my friends... Pizza, Shakeys to watch the TV and Ice hockey..

I've found so much stuff in the water from folks loosing things as they got washed into the overhanging trees on the way down with the float....As we got older, we just motor up, and then let some of the "newbeys" float in the water... We old folks stay in the boat... listening to music... floating the summer day away..... Its just short of 4 hrs from my house....if I step on it a little.

I have mainly caught the 12-14" trout there, cant wait to see if the 3-10 lb ers will still be there in the summer.... Again there is good size smallmouth bass there, largemouth, and cats.... Lots of 20 - 30 ft holes when the water is up... I caught one LM bass with a 6" bass inside of it, and also a bass with a small cat inside....

The Lower Kings.... use to be good before the wave runners, jet skis, who just love to mess with every bush and habitat on the river...
    People have been killed since they have been on the water...
    Can't even shore start anymore from camp ... we "got 5 mph" no wake area, and on top of that the "Radar" is out there looking for speeders...max is 35 mph I think...

bayrunner ray

14. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Every year at least one person drowns on the Kings. Also, and the main reason why I don't float anymore, there're a ton of people out there that get too much of that liquid courage. Nothing wrong with drinking but acting like a fool and actual fighting just isn't what I call fun. A few years back some cholos (street punks) stabbed and killed somebody.

One of my ex-girlfirend's father used to float down in his canoe and do pretty well for trout. He also used to shoot a few ducks so he could have a certain feather for his flies. He was very much into fly fishing.

It's funny because the only thing I regret about ending that relationship was not getting to know her dad. He was an awesome fisherman! Heck with her, teach me something about fishing!

Bob

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Bob/Ray,
    You guys ever fish that pond at riverland?

16. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Sorry but where is Riverland?

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Riverland is on 99 and Kings river. Past
    kingsburg.

18. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Seems like every time I've gone over that "pond" it was full of water skiers and jet skis.

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ray, the kings river goes underneath the 99 but I was taking bout that lil pond.

20. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    The pond just south of the river and west of the 99?