Big trip planned - Lake Fork,Texas

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loki1982, Oct 13, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Around May of this year my dad and I went to Lake Tawakoni while my uncle went to Lake Fork. Both Lakes are about 30 miles apart. We ended up with a whole mess of eater size fish, 20 or so channels and blues in the 1-3# range while my uncle wound up with a 54# flathead.

We have a trip planned this weekend to meet with him at Lake Fork and stay the weekend. We got 5 bags of shad, and I caught a carp that we are gonna use for cut bait. A cold front came through and dropped the air temp about 15 degrees.

And last but not least, my boss is letting me off 4 hours early with the promise to bring back fish pictures. So I am counting down the minutes till I leave. Wish me luck

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    sounds like its going to be a fun trip. sounds like you also got a cool boss. haha. bring back a big one.

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    good luck Jarod.hope you catch some biggens.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good luck and we want to see those pics too...

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    So heres my report.

Friday we call my uncle on the way out to Lake Fork. They already boated a 45 # flathead. We get out about 6pm or so and put some lines out. Hand out with the family and have a good time.

We caught more fish on this trip than I have ever seen. Between about 8 of us fishing, we probably caught 200 channel cats between 2-10#'s. We got 2 flatheads that were 45 and 55 #. I have pictures of most of the fish that Ill post as soon as I can.

I also saw a bald eagle.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    One other thing. Every fish we caught was a channel, other than the 2 big flatheads. According to Texas parks and Wildlife http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/alltackle.php?WB_code=0433

it list bluecats as records in the lakes(89# all tackle).

I find it hard to believe that we managed to catch somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 channels and no blues. Our primary bait was live goldfish, live perch, and shad, with a few soap lines out. In any other lake these baits would have produced more either more blues than channels, or roughly 50% of each.

Do you think there may no longer be blues in this lake? There is no doubt in my mind that every fish caught was a channel.

Ok I did some research, the last stocking of blue catfish for the lake was in 1985.

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Fish under the comoronts when you go back. I heard they are realy stacked up under them birds.