Big Tom Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bull_head, Aug 14, 2005.

1. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    anyone get a good size Tom in their sights for the Fall season yet ....
    the population here in PA seems to be bigger than normal ... which will
    be great i think .... i just hops everyone uses common sense when they
    are out looking for the Big Toms ... and Good luck fellow Brothers

mike

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Ive seen 3 big boys running around every time I go down to the river. The only problem is they are in a no hunting area on post. I dont really like to turkey hunt in the fall but if they walk under my stand I will shoot at them with my bow but I have yet to get one with the bow. Maybe this will be the year.

3. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    I love watching them in the feilds .... in all my years of hunting them thou I only got a Jake when i was 13 ... that my only bird ... someday I will get a Big Tom ... but for now just watching them is more than enough enjoyment

mike

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i have never hunted in the fall is it like spring, do they want to talk with ya or is it a little more quiet.

5. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Brian ...

here in PA fall season you can shoot a Hen or Gobbler .... in the spring you can only shoot a Gobbler ... personally IMO they talk more in the Fall than spring and it seems that they spook easier in the spring too .... this maybe because they cant see what they maybe are talking too im not sure ... both seasons are fun to hunt in ... but its been a long time since i got my first and only bird .. (a Jake when i was 13) I enjoy watching them in either season
    thou its easier to see them in the Fall (because of less cover)

mike

PS : the only other real difference here in PA between the 2 seasons is that in the spring you have to use a shotgun to harvest a bird .... in the fall you can use a small bore rifle or shotgun ... we also have a 1 bird limit per season

6. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i will get out and hunt in the fall sometime but i'm not old enough to drive so i got to get rides from other people.

7. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I havent been getting any turkey pictures on my cam, just lots of deer. I shot a hen last year with my bow, but she kicked the arrow out and flew away. Never could find her. I'll shoot one this year if i see one again.

8. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i just thought i would ask what would be a good draw weight for hunting turkeys with a bow? hunting them with shotguns is hard enough so i want it harder. when i get some money comin my way i think i will be looking into buying a bow for turkeys. i saw a good lookin one at cabelas a while ago and its small so i thought that would be good for movin through the brush but i dont know what would be a good weight for turkeys a little help.

9. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    just talked to someone and i am going fall hunting this year, yea

10. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Good luck in getting a Fall Tom Brian ....

keep us posted

11. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Can't wait for the season to open!!!!!!!!! I'll be back from filming in Canada in time to chase them for about two weeks, taking out friends, family and children. Love to hunt fall turkeys!!!!!!!! God bless.

12. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Brian,

That's a fine looking bird you have there in your profile pic. Little Brother, I hope you get all the rides you need to take many more.

Mike

13. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    that bird had an 11 1/2 in beard, it was nice, and shot from about 10 yards and he got the full load. cant wait to get out there.

14. fishfanatic

fishfanatic New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This year will be the first time that Indiana has had a fall Turkey season.
    Fall Turkey Archery Oct. 1 – Oct. 23
    Fall Turkey Firearm Oct. 19 – Oct. 23

15. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have 3 pretty good size broods here on the farm. I have seen 2 real nice Toms and several Jakes. I was sitting on the front porch this evening listening to several of the hens carrying on. Talk about giving you the fever, man I can't wait. Bagged a real nice Tom last year here, he weighed in at 25 3/4 lbs double beard the short one was 4 in and the long one 10 1/2 with inch and 3/4 spurs. I am going to try my bow this year and see how that pans out.

16. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Some countys here (Alabama) have a fall season but not where i turkey hunt. I cant wait till spring though! I'll spend my fall and winter chaseing pigs and catfish.

17. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    i here you trad waiting for the rain to come around so i can start chasing those hogs. to hot right now.