BIG-TEN vs SEC

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by s_man, Nov 5, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I was just wondering how you SEC fans rate the BIG_TEN? Big two and little eight? Let me set the stage tonite. Ohio State 10 and 0, Michigan 10 and 0, Wisconsin 9 and 1. Thats our top three. Yours: Arkansas 7 and 1, Auburn 9 and 1, Florida 8 and 1, and I'll add Tennesse just for their rep from previous yrs 7 and 1. Now I need someone to tell me which one of these schools could come into the BIG-TEN and play Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, and Indiana on consecutive weeks and come out undefeated? I would bet that they would have at least two losses each if not more. No more of this SEC is the toughest conference stuff. Watch the Bowl games, the SEC wil lose most if not all they play aginst the BIG-TEN, and may even lose to a MAC school or two. You know it just sux that Michigan is going to have a loss this year. GO BUCKS!

2. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I agree totally about the sec,they have good teams but in my opinion those southern teams would nver make it through a year in the Big Ten.

3. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Different years different results. LSU's championship season where we beat Oklahoma and had to split with USC who beat ugh Big Ten Champ Michigan. This year Ohio St. seems to be real good ... I wont argue that. Since u mentioned Bowl Games, we'll talk about LSU's Bowl record against Big 10 opponents.....2 wins 1 loss.... That was against Iowa 2005 Capital 1 bowl last second hail mary td pass... The other 2 Bowl games....1995 Independence Bowl LSU 45 Mich. St. 26,,,,,,, 2002 Sugar Bowl LSU 47 Illinois 23. Check it for yourself if u need to.

4. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    One more note. I went back the last 3 bowl seasons and found 8 matchups between the sec and big 10. They split 4 and 4. No dominance for either side just some years certain conferences seem stronger.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The Big-Ten is harsh this year Hoss. Lots of hard hittin, smashmouth football. Some teams don't have the records to show it but they are all playing hard. Illinois was 2 and 7 coming into the game saturday, but they played better than anyone the Bucks faced this year cept Penn State. Minnesota knocked out two OSU players with concussions the week before. With that #1 bullseye on em everyone gives their all to try to beat the BUCKS. We'll have to wait and see the bowl matchups, The big-ten is gonna be hard to beat this year.

6. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i totally agree the big ten is better at the top this year, and maybe most years but from top to bottom i don't think there is any comparison, the sec is tougher. i would like to see the bottom 5 vs. the bottom 5 . there is no really weak teams in sec and thats why there is more losses on records. if you wan a conference with good records look at big east they can match records,but i'm not saying they are anywhere near as tough as big ten. boliver

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You guys from the SEC just don't understand. The Big 10 (or is that 11 by new math) finally has something to brag about. Now be good sports and let them have their day in the sun.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I can name a couple weak teams. Ole Miss, Miss State, VANDERBILT, and Kentucky. Now i know you are gonna say Kentucky won last week but the sun shines on a dogs butt every once in a while. They refused to renew their contract to play Indiana for 5 more years last year because we beat up on them and we are THE cellar dwellar of the Big10, and they refused to play us anymore.

9. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    if you think vandy and old miss are weak. i wish theycould play your ind. team. miss.stat also won last week. this is just my opinion but top to bottom there is no conference as tough as sec. thats why there is no undefeated teams.every week is a tough game. no pansies. boliver

10. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    Ohio State and Michigan are very talented. Definately deserve the top 2 spots, but as in the Big 10 being the toughest conference? I'd definately have to disagree. Even the "weak" SEC teams put up a fight every week. Also Wisconsins toughness of schedule doesnt compare close to Arkansas', Auburn and Florida. The SEC is 35-7 with non conference foes this year, a higher winning pct than any other conference, i think that speaks for itself. Also 5 teams in the top 13, higher than any other conference.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    5 in top 13, but we got 2 in the top 2. nobody has said anything about kentucky not wanting to play the worst team in the big10. worst of SEC won't play worst in Big10, i think that speaks for itself

12. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i don't know anything about the kentucky- indiana scheduling but if its like ark scheduling in in not done on a year to year basis in is done several years in advance and i would suspect that the dropping was done several years ago. i know that you know who is on ark schedule 3-4 years in advance. last year they scheluled texas again, but in is several years down the road. boliver

13. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Kentucky will GLADLY schedule IU in basketball (i believe we just signed through 2014) but they wont in football, hmmm. SEC showing it's dominance.

Neither IU nor UK will EVER not agree to basketball terms for the pure fact of the money it brings both schools. Always agreeing on 'nuetral' courts is the smartest thing either school has done. They play in Louiseville or Indy, never in Lexington or Bloomington, garenteeing sell outs to much big markets. very smart

14. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    One more thing to be said about "In-Conference play" Watch out!!!!! Big Ten or SEC or WAC or MAC. U gotta respect your conference foes! Just ask Georgia or Bama from last weekend or even Ohio. Ohh yeah!! My LSU Tigers play Bama saturday. On paper we win but we have to play the game on the field. Anyway, good luck everyone but GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    They may not want to play indiana because the winning against the bottom of the Big 10 (indiana) looks worse than beating the bottom of the SEC or another conference.

16. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I like what I'm seeing. Conference dominance is finally starting to change. Big East is not far behind. A couple more years and we'll be on top (hopefully). Why do you think this is? Why didn't we see it change this much before? I'm thinking that there are more coordiantors from the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, etc., moving to the newer, weaker, less donminating conferences. Big Ten is definitely the Big Dog now.

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Kentucky would stomp I WHo in football. The SEC has tremendous athletes the Big Ten has wannabes.:tounge_out: Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Auburn tough, tough and Tough.

18. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    yes i think the coach changes and even more so the 85 scholarship limits have made college football more equal.it will get even more so in future years i think.

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I hope your right, I love it, can't get enough of it.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Lots of great stuff here guys. Where to start? I don't know if any of you get to see the Big ten games but when a 2 and 7 Illinois team can put up a defense like that against Ohio State when Texas couldn't it makes me take notice. The reason alot of Big ten teams have losing records is because they had to play Ohio State, michigan, and wisconsin,and pennstate and minnesota, and ......etc. Watch and see if Indiana and Illinois aren't tied for the topps in the big ten next year with osu and mich. or ahead of them. Those were two teams Ohio state played this year that showed tons of potential because they had almost no senior starters. I still have to go with my original assesment of the SEC. Posers, pure and simple. None of those teams could come up here and line up week to week against these teams and come away without two losses. I just can't see it. They have stale coaches that took over winning programs from great coaches and have befuddled themselves into thinking they're great. In a match-up of our top 5 versus your top 5 we'd win at least 4. In a bottom 5 versus bottom 5 we'd take all 5. We'll know more in dec. about who plays who. Then the bragging can begin. Can someone be a neutral score keeper? This should be fun.